Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Philadelphia Flyers (1-1-1) @ Seattle Kraken (2-2-0) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At this point I’d give a first to have someone take Gru and his cap hit. Yeah, you’d miss out on a pick, but that $6mil could be used on so many better ways.

Something like eating half of his salary and paying a 2nd rounder would be fine to me, and maybe we'd have to take a little bad money back on a different player too. But I wouldn't pay a 1st. And that's not because Gru isn't that bad, he is. But we're not winning any cups this year or next and we'll need that pick/prospect when we are in contention. We can also just bury Gru in the minors or buy him out. All options I'd prefer to spending a 1st to move him.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Something like eating half of his salary and paying a 2nd rounder would be fine to me, and maybe we'd have to take a little bad money back on a different player too. But I wouldn't pay a 1st. And that's not because Gru isn't that bad, he is. But we're not winning any cups this year or next and we'll need that pick/prospect when we are in contention. We can also just bury Gru in the minors or buy him out. All options I'd prefer to spending a 1st to move him.
You make far more sense than I do. I’m just so tired of watching him give not just a weak goal, but a deflating one.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Good win, scoring six again, while making it harder than it had to be in the end.

Hopefully the team is able to keep on scoring with that full team effort, cause otherwise it won't go anywhere this season.

Maybe Colorado will take Gru back but lets have the team wait and see how the season plays out

No one's going to take that contract, with two years remaining after this season, without us adding something really nice.

Unless he somehow turns it around and has a fantastic season(doesn't look like it right now), Grubauer will be bought out next summer and can be added to to the list of free agent failures by Francis.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think anyone will be willing to take Gru's contract on. He has 2 years left after this one and I think it will cost more than one 1st round pick. Depending on how high the cap goes up next season, I bet the organization seriously looks at a buyout.

2025-2026: $1,983,333
2026-2027: $3,083,333
2027-2028: $1,683,333
2028-2029: $1,683,333

Not ideal ofcourse, but I am pretty sure we can get a backup who could be more effective than Gru and potentially cheaper despite the buyout cost.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I don't think anyone will be willing to take Gru's contract on. He has 2 years left after this one and I think it will cost more than one 1st round pick. Depending on how high the cap goes up next season, I bet the organization seriously looks at a buyout.

2025-2026: $1,983,333
2026-2027: $3,083,333
2027-2028: $1,683,333
2028-2029: $1,683,333

Not ideal ofcourse, but I am pretty sure we can get a backup who could be more effective than Gru and potentially cheaper despite the buyout cost.
How has the current Coachella goaltender played assuming he's a prospect and not a career AHLer? I don't really pay attention to them until the play offs but sometimes you hear good things about prospects.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
How has the current Coachella goaltender played assuming he's a prospect and not a career AHLer? I don't really pay attention to them until the play offs but sometimes you hear good things about prospects.
Coachella has only played 2 games and I don't believe Kokko has started any of them. I consider him a true prospect. Stezka is older (27) and the main goalie for them. I doubt Kokko is ready for NHL minutes next season.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At this point I’d give a first to have someone take Gru and his cap hit. Yeah, you’d miss out on a pick, but that $6mil could be used in so many better ways.
Man, I want rid of him, but not for a first or first plus. That would just compound the misery we brought upon ourselves with that signing. A buy out would be my preferred option but I'm not even sure how that works.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I think the Kraken would sign a guy at around $2M to be Joey's backup. Would still be less against the cap than keeping Grubauer.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad