GDT: GAME 5 | Lightning Strikes at the CTC | Saturday Oct 19th 2024, 1PM | SN, RDS

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
I watched the game but your #1C has to be able to win a draw. Right now he has to play with wingers who can do faceoffs. Not a great long term plan.

Are there any other C in the league with <20% FO this year? Any considered top 6 F?

It's remarkably stupid to assess a player's ability based upon six games instead of the previous four seasons he's played in the league. And why his faceoff numbers aren't great over the past four years, they're very comparable to Jack Eichel, who was good enough to win a Cup.

It's also remarkably stupid to say he has to play with wingers who can do faceoffs when the winger taking the faceoffs for him is the best active player at faceoffs over the past decade.

Faceoffs are overrated. Idiots like Don Brennan used to whine about the Senators' ability at it when they were winning the President's Cup.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I watched the game but your #1C has to be able to win a draw. Right now he has to play with wingers who can do faceoffs. Not a great long term plan.

Are there any other C in the league with <20% FO this year? Any considered top 6 F?

Players can learn to get better on the draw.

Spezza sucked at draws when he was breaking into the league, but worked on it hard one off-season and turned into one of the best.

Give him time. Lots of other shit he does exceptionally well down the middle.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's remarkably stupid to assess a player's ability based upon six games instead of the previous four seasons he's played in the league. And why his faceoff numbers aren't great over the past four years, they're very comparable to Jack Eichel, who was good enough to win a Cup.

It's also remarkably stupid to say he has to play with wingers who can do faceoffs when the winger taking the faceoffs for him is the best active player at faceoffs over the past decade.

Faceoffs are overrated. Idiots like Don Brennan used to whine about the Senators' ability at it when they were winning the President's Cup.

It depends on the makeup of the team. If you have some bloodhounds out there who will fight hard every shift to get possession back, then faceoffs aren't that big of a deal.

Norris has looked very good so far, but the concerns are more about durability and that shoulder holding up over time. We won't get a definite answer on that for a few more months yet.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023

Low 40s is one thing, but <20% is a problem. He's great at everything else but needs to fix this to be considered our #1C in all situations.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
John Cooper really had the passion on the bench last night and you could feel it through the TV screen. All the accolades and all the winning and HOF players and he still looks like it’s his first 100 games in the league. Probably a big reason why they win, you need that emotion and caring in your team to create fire and Tampa always has tons of fire even when they aren’t playing well. John Cooper is impressive.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If he keeps scoring he will deserve a raise.
He's excellent, fast, aggressive. Perfect 4th liner. He's also got 1 goal in 5 games, so let's not yet get excited about any goal scoring prowess. I'd imagine his next contract is a million, which is a moderate raise

Reactions: Cosmix

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If a player has a Cap Hit greater than the Buried Threshold, if they are sent to AHL the team's Cap Hit is the player Cap Hit - Buried Threshold. The Buried Threshold is as follows:

2024-25: $775,000 + $375,000 = $1,150,000

Forsberg salary 2,750,000 - 1,150,000 = $1,600,000 cap hit.

BUT, the Senators currently only have $911,230 of cap space.
So we're not gonna gonna be able to do much at all. Waive him if it keeps up and see if you can get an league minimum guy who can deliver .900 starts

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's excellent, fast, aggressive. Perfect 4th liner. He's also got 1 goal in 5 games, so let's not yet get excited about any goal scoring prowess. I'd imagine his next contract is a million, which is a moderate raise
I should have made the If a BIG IF.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Yes, he does need to improve his face-offs won percentage. I think that will come with maturation, experience and training. I am confident that the coaching staff knows this and is working with him to improve his technique, strength, speed, tactics, etc. If they are not, they should be.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Norris is our #1 C. Stutzle can't be considered our #1 C at 18.5% on FO. I mean he only took 3 FO tonight. Is he even a C?

Taking faceoffs isn’t what determines what makes a player a center. A Center isn’t designated to take faceoffs. That’s an overly simplistic way of look at things. I don’t know what’s going on with Stutzle with faceoffs, he needs to better but he has shown improvement every season and was 46.7% in 500+ faceoffs. Pretending 18.5% on 27 attempts is representative of his ability is a bad attempt at criticizing a very good hockey player.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So we're not gonna gonna be able to do much at all. Waive him if it keeps up and see if you can get an league minimum guy who can deliver .900 starts
We could waive him later in the year when we’ve banked more cap space. But, not right now, or in the near future.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

He has to work on his FO. Spezza was the same. Many of the best in the business had to work on the FO. It isn't something that comes naturally. But to win games, we also have to win FO. So if Stü is struggling he needs to be insulated a little bit while he gets his groove. His FO percentage was not too bad last season. I think he just needs to work on it more.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
It depends on the makeup of the team. If you have some bloodhounds out there who will fight hard every shift to get possession back, then faceoffs aren't that big of a deal.

Norris has looked very good so far, but the concerns are more about durability and that shoulder holding up over time. We won't get a definite answer on that for a few more months yet.
I feel like we need to move on from the shoulder for a little while. I mean we've been talking about it for a few years now. Until I see it cause problems, I am just going to enjoy Norris' play.

Reactions: LiseL and Blotto71

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

If Forsberg and Sogaard were equally and there were no other factors to consider like Ullmark's familiarity with Forsberg, we would gain a prorated 375k of cap space (1.15 cap credit, minus Sogaard's 775k cap hit).

Given how early it is in the season, that could make a difference at the trade deadline.

In terms of trading for a goalie, we're limited to acquiring a goalie who has a cap hit below roughly 1.4M. That is assuming we don't send back Forsberg or someone with a cap hit above the buried cap threshold.

There aren't any real options. There is a shortage of goalies in the league right now. The reason most of the goalies on waivers weren't claimed (Bussi, Driedger, etc) was because they were just as much wild cards as Forsberg and Sogaard.

I think that given the current state of goalies available, Forsberg has probably done enough in these two games to keep his spot. He was fine in the New Jersey game. He wasn't as good in Tampa, but he did come through with a few big saves and not all the goals were Korpisalo Hockey 2024 type goals.

Reimer is probably available when Gibson comes back, but I don't see him as a real upgrade over Forsberg. If Forsberg's head wasn't in the right spot and he was as bad the last two games as he was against the Kings, then it might have made sense to gamble on a veteran like Reimer.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If Forsberg and Sogaard were equally and there were no other factors to consider like Ullmark's familiarity with Forsberg, we would gain a prorated 375k of cap space (1.15 cap credit, minus Sogaard's 775k cap hit).

Given how early it is in the season, that could make a difference at the trade deadline.

In terms of trading for a goalie, we're limited to acquiring a goalie who has a cap hit below roughly 1.4M. That is assuming we don't send back Forsberg or someone with a cap hit above the buried cap threshold.

There aren't any real options. There is a shortage of goalies in the league right now. The reason most of the goalies on waivers weren't claimed (Bussi, Driedger, etc) was because they were just as much wild cards as Forsberg and Sogaard.

I think that given the current state of goalies available, Forsberg has probably done enough in these two games to keep his spot. He was fine in the New Jersey game. He wasn't as good in Tampa, but he did come through with a few big saves and not all the goals were Korpisalo Hockey 2024 type goals.

Reimer is probably available when Gibson comes back, but I don't see him as a real upgrade over Forsberg. If Forsberg's head wasn't in the right spot and he was as bad the last two games as he was against the Kings, then it might have made sense to gamble on a veteran like Reimer.
Agreed.

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
I feel like we need to move on from the shoulder for a little while. I mean we've been talking about it for a few years now. Until I see it cause problems, I am just going to enjoy Norris' play.
Again, love Norris. He is a legit 1C. All I'm saying is if you were in the camp that wanted to buy him out or pay to move him while he was out, logically you should be pushing to trade him even more now that he's back playing.
It's just funny how many people on here were saying to move him "he's one dimensional anyway".

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm still replaying this in my head a day later. Someone said they should make a way to inject wins straight into my veins and I agree

Reactions: HSF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad