GDT: Game 48: Columbus vs. Calgary | 1/21 7PM EST

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You guys have no idea how much I love a good statistical argument.

Hartnell is producing like a borderline top line player, but he's really not because of his ice time. This season Dubinsky isn't. I don't need whatever tool you produced when I can simply look at their PROD. What you produced looks like some advanced stat trickery. Nice tool, but I still think it's too heavily relied upon.

1. "Advanced Stat trickery". Bus, is that you?
It's P/60. Points divided by ice time, normalized to 60 minutes. It's the exact inverse of PROD, except it's 5 on 5 only. There's nothing advanced about it.

2. You can't use PROD because it gets skewed by volatile powerplay performance. To illustrate the volatility, right now Jason Chimera is a top 90 scorer according to PROD, largely based on the powerplay. And because it doesn't separate 5 on 5 from 5 on 4 and 4 on 5, it gives a huge advantage to powerplay players over penalty killers. Our penalty killers (like Cam) don't stand a chance in PROD. Perhaps for that reason, P/60 has succeeded it as the statistic of choice.

If you aren't playing 18+ minutes a night you really can't say you are a top line player. You are getting more favorable match ups.

3. There's several different ways coaches use their best players. You can find Kuznetsov's on the second line and Couture on the third line, and neither getting 18 minutes. Or you can find Brian Gionta and Brandon Sutter above that bar.

4. No, you don't necessarily get more favorable match ups if you play less than 18 minutes. On a lot of clubs it's the third liners who get the hardest matchups.

Let's have a look at all of the conditions you just put on what qualifies one to be a top line player.

1) 18 minutes a night. That's about 80 forwards

2) Top 90 PROD. That's a high turnover group of 90.

3) Hardest matchups.

The overlap between those three gives you, what, 30 or 40 guys? And too much turnover. The Jackets might have no players in that group today and 5 in it a few months later. It doesn't tell you as much about the quality of players on your team.

Actually, not.

In points per 60/5v5 (500 minutes minimum played) Hartnell ranks 18th in the NHL at 2.16. That's upper echelon this season. But, he often times hasn't faced first line competition as he hasn't been on the first line all that regularly this season.

Foligno is at 1.48 which ranks 123. Clearly outside of first line performance 5v5.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ards&minutes=500&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Saad is 48th, Dubinsky at 83rd and Atkinson at 86th. Jenner is at 103.

Our sources are the same. Stats.hockeyanalysis is the source data for the hero charts. The only difference between hero P/60 and the source data, is that the hero charts are using a 3 year average. You're trying to refute my 3 year data by using data with a smaller sample size. That doesn't fly. It might make sense if a player like Hartnell is slipping, because he's exiting his prime, or if a young player suddenly emerges. But normally a 3 year average has more predictive power than the current year's performance.

Especially when one considers that he has been slotted as low as the 3rd line on a regular basis.

Foligno probably averages about 18 minutes per game over the last three years. I'm not huge on ice-time as a measure of quality, but it still tells you a lot more about his value than the number of his line on the lineup card. We have a convention of numbering our lines here that is not based on in-game usage.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How many first-line-quality players do the Blue Jackets have? Define first-line-quality however you like and pull up your stats. Now, you might say that it's not all about stats, and I totally agree. But unless you somehow think that guys like Dubi and Foligno are deficient when it comes to intangibles and defensive play, then top-line stats should be a sufficient condition for them to be considered top-line players.

Using just this year's stats, Hartnell, Cam, Saad, and Dubinsky all produce at a topline rate.

Using a three year average, Hartnell, Saad, Foligno, and Dubinsky all produce at a topline rate.

I'd really like to see a cogent definition of what a first line player is that manages to leave the Jackets without their fair share of them.

If someone wants to say we lack elite playmakers, well I totally agree. If someone says we lack elite forwards in general, I agree. But that's a different argument.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
1. "Advanced Stat trickery". Bus, is that you?
It's P/60. Points divided by ice time, normalized to 60 minutes. It's the exact inverse of PROD, except it's 5 on 5 only. There's nothing advanced about it.

/sigh That pic appeared to have more than that. It had that dumb ass possession impact crap, you know CF/CA60 - the C is Corsi which goes back into shots for/against. You know advanced stats, all the rage right now.

I've got your "bus" right here.

2. You can't use PROD because it gets skewed by volatile powerplay performance. To illustrate the volatility, right now Jason Chimera is a top 90 scorer according to PROD, largely based on the powerplay. And because it doesn't separate 5 on 5 from 5 on 4 and 4 on 5, it gives a huge advantage to powerplay players over penalty killers. Our penalty killers (like Cam) don't stand a chance in PROD. Perhaps for that reason, P/60 has succeeded it as the statistic of choice.

Read my other post on prod in the other thread. I'm not going to repeat myself.

3. There's several different ways coaches use their best players. You can find Kuznetsov's on the second line and Couture on the third line, and neither getting 18 minutes. Or you can find Brian Gionta and Brandon Sutter above that bar.

If you aren't putting in the ice time and you are sheltered you aren't a top line player. FYI, Couture as played 18+ minutes most of his career and had 21 of his 27 goals at ES last season playing 19 minutes+ a night. Overall Couture is an interested case in that SJ is massively deep at center and they have multiple lines that produce. That's not a luxury that all teams have. He also had some serious post season ice time and actually produced three seasons in a row.

As far as Gionta, he's kind of like Dubinsky in that he's trusted by his HC and plays in all situations even though he doesn't produce at a top line pace. Dubinsky has only produced at that rate in a injury shortened seasons.

Ok, I'm bored and to be honest I'm not even sure I know what I'm debating anymore. I'm not going to bother with the rest of it. I'll just sum it up. I take specialty teams play into account. It's actually pretty quick and easy. I emphasize 5 on 5 play. All I use it for is to compare other players that are being played similarly by their teams from a production standpoint. All I use prod for is to tell if you are producing at a top line pace or not. I don't use it to gauge if you are a top line player or not.

I think this somehow went back to Foligno and you think he's a top line player or something? He had a one year flirtation with that role and produced; he's borderline this season. He had 2 years of with a shot pct of over 15%; that seriously inflated his goals numbers which explains his huge drop this season. He's never had over 200 SoG in a season. I seriously have no idea how he's going to do without Johansen around; but I will say his defensive game is pretty good so he should be able to draw a decent amount of 5 on 5 play.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
major major

Our sources are the same. Stats.hockeyanalysis is the source data for the hero charts. The only difference between hero P/60 and the source data, is that the hero charts are using a 3 year average. You're trying to refute my 3 year data by using data with a smaller sample size. That doesn't fly. It might make sense if a player like Hartnell is slipping, because he's exiting his prime, or if a young player suddenly emerges. But normally a 3 year average has more predictive power than the current year's performance.

I can roll with that. I didn't know that hero stats and the source I use were the same.

Here are 1/3/5 year numbers for our "first liners". (from stats.hockey....5 year from 2010-15 (2500 minutes)/1 and 3 year include this year)

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...rds&minutes=2500&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Foligno...123/47/95
Hartnell...18/49/68
Saad.....48/56/48
Dubi....83/54/104

Longest sample size shows one mid tier top line forward in Saad, one low tier top liner in Hartnell, and two upper tier second liners in Foligno and Dubinsky.

I would predict that Dubinsky will have a difficult time staying at a <90 ranking as he assumes #1C duties. I think that he's best suited to be a #2C.

Saad is a legit mid to lower first liner, I think.

Foligno is a hard read. I like Folingo and was stunned at his lack of point production his first two years as a CBJ. He just looked like he should have been generating so many more points than he was. And then last year happened. While his PP numbers won't be revisited without having a legit elite PP producer like Johansen as a teammate-and probably wouldn't have even had #19 not been traded-I still think that Foligno is capable of 60 points. But, it wouldn't shock me in the least to see him around 50. I think it's a reasonable proposition to look at last season as very much of an outlier until it is repeated-or comes close to being repeated.

Hartnell is probably going to be gone before long, so going forward, our "first line" forwards are Foligno, Saad and Dubinsky, even if they don't play on the first line at all times. This combination is far below average collectively in point production for first liners, and there are many question marks about Dubinsky and Foligno as legit first liners.

None, as you've admitted, are elite. They are also collectively very pricey. The bang for the buck of this forward collection is not very good. Combined with a below average defense and inconsistent goaltending, the realistic prognosis for this club over the next several seasons is probably for a team which will struggle to make the playoffs. Jarmo has locked in a group of players that is borderline playoff capable at best. And that is not good.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you aren't putting in the ice time and you are sheltered you aren't a top line player.

The group of players who

1) consistently produce at a top-line rate
2) play 18+ minutes a night
3) play the harder matchups, on average

Is really small. I don't know how many, maybe 30, maybe 50 in the whole league. But it's an elite group of players.

What you are referring to is an elite player. Not a top-liner.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm pleased enough that we've got posters debating whether the Jackets have 4 top-liners (0-90 range) or just plenty of guys in the 30-120 range. Plenty of truth to the latter argument, but either way it's a big improvement over "Foligno is a third-liner" or the old "The Jackets have no top six players."

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The group of players who

1) consistently produce at a top-line rate
2) play 18+ minutes a night
3) play the harder matchups, on average

Is really small. I don't know how many, maybe 30, maybe 50 in the whole league. But it's an elite group of players.

What you are referring to is an elite player. Not a top-liner.

I have no idea what you are going on about. Top line players play the most ice time, 5 on 5. By that fact alone they have tend to have the more difficult match ups; especially on the road. Production is secondary; that is where you get the elite tag.

Is there something that you are trying to debate? I only stated that I used PROD to see player that are producing at a top line rate. I can then look at their PP stats to take a look and get a good idea how they are used. You have some players that produce at that pace lower in the lineup (Rychel recently). That doesn't mean they are top line players or that they will ever be one.

What I'm seeing is a lot of agreement with different methods of analysis to get to conclusions.

I'll make this even easier for you. If you can be a plus player while playing against the other teams top players, consistently, every night (top 5 on 5 time). You are a top line player. Doesn't matter if you are scoring 50 or 80 points. That difference can be accounted for my things like PP time. I think you know this. I obviously know this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad