GDT: Game #45: Penguins @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Hell yes she could. She's come a long way over the past couple of years - she's one of the better color analysts around now.
What I (not being in the biz) would call color commentary is a bit different, but I agree, she could. She seems far more intelligent than Nash, who apparently lacks a lot of the understanding of the game, beyond what his role was as a player.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

RollingCoyote

Aug 13, 2022
Other broadcasts, you can actually learn things about the game. The Coyotes broadcasts are about cliche's and schtick. At a minimum, they need to promote Heethuis to TV as I think he is the only skilled individual in their media space.

Bullshit, other teams play by play and colour guys are just as big homers as Nash and McConnell and know nothing about the Coyotes. I’m in Canada and have to watch the games on SN Now, I have watched every single Coyote game since they started being streamed a number of years ago, NHL Live offered both broadcasts so I could watch the Coyotes feed every game. With SN Now they offer one feed, you don’t get to choose. Only one game this year has been the Coyotes broadcast so I’m forced to watch the other teams broadcast and believe me, they are all pretty much the same, homers and ignorant. Just a few examples: last night they were calling Valimaki Guenther, they said Valimaki was wearing the face shield because of the hit from Cousins. As for all the teams in general, I lost count how many times I’ve heard them say “Logan Crouse”, how many times they mix up Keller and Schmaltz, one game not to long ago, I can’t remember which one, they kept calling Ingram Logan Cooley. Multiple negative comments and just plain mistruths about the Coyotes every game. I could go on but my iPad is at 2%. I would gladly pay more money to watch the Coyotes broadcast team. Don’t bash something if you don’t know how bad the alternative is. This isn’t directed just at you DustyDangler but at all those who bash Nash and McConnell, if you all are forced to watch the other teams broadcast every game like myself (I believe a couple of other posters here are in the same boat as me) you would change your tune about Matt and Tyson.

Sorry for the long rant everyone but I needed to vent. It just pisses me off that I pay $260 dollars Canadian and am forced to listen to crap about the Coyotes every game.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Bullshit, other teams play by play and colour guys are just as big homers as Nash and McConnell and know nothing about the Coyotes. I’m in Canada and have to watch the games on SN Now, I have watched every single Coyote game since they started being streamed a number of years ago, NHL Live offered both broadcasts so I could watch the Coyotes feed every game. With SN Now they offer one feed, you don’t get to choose. Only one game this year has been the Coyotes broadcast so I’m forced to watch the other teams broadcast and believe me, they are all pretty much the same, homers and ignorant. Just a few examples: last night they were calling Valimaki Guenther, they said Valimaki was wearing the face shield because of the hit from Cousins. As for all the teams in general, I lost count how many times I’ve heard them say “Logan Crouse”, how many times they mix up Keller and Schmaltz, one game not to long ago, I can’t remember which one, they kept calling Ingram Logan Cooley. Multiple negative comments and just plain mistruths about the Coyotes every game. I could go on but my iPad is at 2%. I would gladly pay more money to watch the Coyotes broadcast team. Don’t bash something if you don’t know how bad the alternative is. This isn’t directed just at you DustyDangler but at all those who bash Nash and McConnell, if you all are forced to watch the other teams broadcast every game like myself (I believe a couple of other posters here are in the same boat as me) you would change your tune about Matt and Tyson.

Sorry for the long rant everyone but I needed to vent. It just pisses me off that I pay $260 dollars Canadian and am forced to listen to crap about the Coyotes every game.
I value your opinion, I just don't share it. I get dumbererer listening to Tyson Nash, can feel my brain start to bleed a little. I am familiar with the alternatives as the alternatives are all I watch\listen to. All alternatives are not the same, it is varied. Didn't care much of anything about last night's Pens broadcast but it wasn't bad enough to make me want to listen to Nash.

Edit: Also, would love it if one of the feed options was just ice/crowd noise with no talking heads.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

What you’re talking about comes from us having been so irrelevant for so long, that they just don’t care to bone up for a tilt w/us.
What I’m talking about is the relentless attempts at humor, that strike on only the rare occasion. I’m talking about the idiocy of Tyson flip flopping on “how the Coyotes need to play” based on effectiveness of the moment. And the lack of almost any acknowledgement of the opposition’s game and current situation, would not have killed then to mention Fluery’s recent run to surpass Roy, as current example.
Put Todd Walsh in the mix of the broadcast and I stand by my thoughts of suicide, should this team be my only listening option.
And hey….. if you’re Tyson’s kid, we still love him, just tired of same ol’ same ol’ and good luck with your season!

Reactions: DustyDangler

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
What you’re talking about comes from us having been so irrelevant for so long, that they just don’t care to bone up for a tilt w/us.
What I’m talking about is the relentless attempts at humor, that strike on only the rare occasion. I’m talking about the idiocy of Tyson flip flopping on “how the Coyotes need to play” based on effectiveness of the moment. And the lack of almost any acknowledgement of the opposition’s game and current situation, would not have killed then to mention Fluery’s recent run to surpass Roy, as current example.
Put Todd Walsh in the mix of the broadcast and I stand by my thoughts of suicide, should this team be my only listening option.
And hey….. if you’re Tyson’s kid, we still love him, just tired of same ol’ same ol’ and good luck with your season!
100% on the love. Seems like a great guy.
Caps announcers can be shakey.
When I followed MLB a bit I enjoyed the Nats broadcast.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What I (not being in the biz) would call color commentary is a bit different, but I agree, she could. She seems far more intelligent than Nash, who apparently lacks a lot of the understanding of the game, beyond what his role was as a player.
Make no mistake, Nash understands the game.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I would 1000% want to sit next to Tyson in the stands to watch a game.

I just get tired of his broadcast shtick because it is so repetitive - and that's likely because of the production team egging him on to have "Nashisms."

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
This is likely the core issue. They seem to want the broadcasts dumbed down.
I don’t know if it’s that necessarily, maybe a bit. I think it’s more about people seeing the success of guys like Biz, and trying to recreate some of that. The problem is that Biz is too unique and does it so much better and more authentically than anyone else, so when people try to copy it just comes off cringey and weird.

Reactions: DustyDangler

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don’t know if it’s that necessarily, maybe a bit. I think it’s more about people seeing the success of guys like Biz, and trying to recreate some of that. The problem is that Biz is too unique and does it so much better and more authentically than anyone else, so when people try to copy it just comes off cringey and weird.

It's not a "dumbing-down" thing. If you've ever had a broadcast gig, you quickly find that if you're on the air, having a small set of repeating catchphrases and statements helps you to be quicker on the microphone when they point to you. Trying to think of something intelligent and cogent on the spur of the moment at the pace that broadcasts go is an exceptionally rare skill, so a "Holy Jumpin'!" or a "pepperoni pizza" serves as a ready-made crutch in a high-pressure, high-paced environment.

IIRC, Tyson had it pretty rough when he first started doing color commentary, and his natural ease with talking and chirping was nowhere to be found. It took him a while to find his groove, and it wasn't until he got his shorthand down that he started to sound at ease.

Lyndsey Fry had the same issues when she started, and she's adopted a couple of shorthand crutches of her own now, but she plays it straight and not the "dressing room jester" that Nash sometimes tries to be.

Reactions: More Cooley

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think we’re all thinking way too much about this. It’s TV, Nash’s job is to entertain and add flavor to the broadcast. You can dislike his style, but I wouldn’t say he’s bad at it.
I agree, its entertainment to the main mass audience, Nash is fine. 10% of the watchers are hard core like most of us and we want to know the ins and outs, have players called out on both teams, question coaching decisions in game, stuff like that. The main watchers aren't interested in critical thoughts. Nash knows the game well, he could be that guy, but his job as a more cheerful announcer is more important.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad