GDT: Game 43: Rangers @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Aside from his shootout attempt, I thought Stepan had a good game. Everyone did really. It shouldn't take a trade demand going public for Duclair to play like that.

Loved our 3-on-3 combos. All skill out there. No grinders. We had the puck for basically the entire OT.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'd be fine wirh Stepan and OEL being traded.

Observing the body language, Duke is pretty much just doing his own thing at this point (it's probably the only way we can score). Several times, he just looked like he was ignoring the coaches. The RT tap on the shoulder elicited a half nod. BTW, he also smiled after his SO miss, so perhaps Stepan and Duclair are rooming toghether?

Okay game, but OEL cost it for us again...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I was 8 rows off the ice at the face off circle and I can honestly say that Lundqvist's performance was perhaps the best goaltending that I have ever seen. He stole this game for the Rangers.

The team played well. The Ranger's goal came off of a take away from Chychrun I think. It happens. Vessey made a brilliant shot to beat Raanta. It happens. It just happens.

I was very happy with this game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's depressing being a Coyotes fan. But I also thing our problem is pretty simple. Most teams have 3 1st liners, 3 2nd liners, 3 3rd liners and 3 4th liners. Since the late 90s (before which we had 3 1st liners and 9 3-4 liners), we've always seemed to be missing at least two of those 1st liners, usually all three, and had AHL caliber forwards instead.

Most typically it's been 3 2nd liners, 3 3rd liners, 3 4th liners and 3 AHLers. This causes everyone to play so much worse. 2nd liners draw too checking. 3rd liners draw secondary checking. Nobody is sheltered. Everyone is in over their head and losses come a plenty. It's a nasty snowball the just gets worse as every season goes on. It's the story of the franchise the last 15 years or so. No 1st liners.

It's a problem. It's not even like we're doubling up on 2nd liners. We're just replacing a first line with 3 AHLers every year. You'll always suck if you do that. The Penguins would suck if they did that. So would the Blackhawks, Caps, Blues and Lightning.

So why us? Shit drafting and no money to spend. That's it. Too many years of terrible draft picks and no money to spend on top notch scouting or to attract or retain established NHL talent.

Reactions: CC96

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I was 8 rows off the ice at the face off circle and I can honestly say that Lundqvist's performance was perhaps the best goaltending that I have ever seen. He stole this game for the Rangers.

The team played well. The Ranger's goal came off of a take away from Chychrun I think. It happens. Vessey made a brilliant shot to beat Raanta. It happens. It just happens.

Yeah you guys killed us.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I think OEL's thumb is still F'ed up. Effort is one thing that I won't argue on, but the guy can't even seem to corral the puck

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree, thought the team played very well. Raanta has been getting beat short side lately though, King henry was great. The question is, did the Rangers take us lightly and that is why we looked good? Or are we getting better? I didn't think the Rangers looked bad but they had a bunch of turnovers too. Next game should tell us if the team is getting better, our next opponent won't take us lightly now after our last 2 games.

Reactions: kbay

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I agree, thought the team played very well. Raanta has been getting beat short side lately though, King henry was great. The question is, did the Rangers take us lightly and that is why we looked good? Or are we getting better? I didn't think the Rangers looked bad but they had a bunch of turnovers too. Next game should tell us if the team is getting better, our next opponent won't take us lightly now after our last 2 games.

Isn’t our next opponent Edmonton? They shouldn’t take us light because of the last five years lol

I watched the first and third period. Missed the second due to dropping my daughter off.

Biz made a funny comment on radio. That it was “Anthony Barroways birthday” and Bob had to correct him. He then said “it was great knowing you guys” and it was pretty funny. Haha

Overall that was one of the best games I’ve seen. Both goalies stood on their heads and it was great back and forth. Besides Stepans shootout attempt he played a solid game. Hell everyone did.

Duke will sorely be missed when he’s gone. I’m hoping he’s starting to see that if he plays this solid, he’ll get minutes.

The playoffs are not reality. Finish the year out strong, send who is eligible to Tucson for the playoffs and try again next year. Happy times!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Stepan started smiling after his miss. Still a Ranger at heart I guess
I took it as a smile because he tried something on Lundqvist that probably worked before in practice or something. After the smile he clearly said "f*** me" so it's not like he was happy it didn't work. I really liked the teams effort tonight, if they played like that regularly they'd actually be a playoff team. I'm hoping they can continue building on it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I just had an idea; what if we retained our productive players and got rid of our ineffective players?

:laugh: I guess that would depend on who you consider ineffective. Not many productive players when you are in last place.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Aside from his shootout attempt, I thought Stepan had a good game. Everyone did really. It shouldn't take a trade demand going public for Duclair to play like that.

Loved our 3-on-3 combos. All skill out there. No grinders. We had the puck for basically the entire OT.

I just can't get on the Stepan band wagon. He was 19% in the dot last night. Think of that for a second. 19%. Pathetic. I agree about Duke. The team overall played well and deserved better.

Reactions: CC96

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe Duclair going 100% rogue and producing willteach these coaches something about development.

Or maybe with Duke now putting out 100% it shows that the coaches were right and that he has not put in the effort required to stay in the line up. Last year was the same. I thought Duke was being treated unfairly, but watching him play the last two games I see where the coaches are coming from. Duke is very effective IF he puts in the effort, not so much if he floats.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The Rangers had three GA's we had nine. Speed creates turnovers and that is the way we have to play. I think Duke's play the last two games gave us the answer in why he was scratched and on the block. He is just so damn inconsistent, but when he wants to play he is very productive and effective. I have not complaints with Raanta's play, at all. I think we are getting better, I mean we have no where to go but up.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We definitely need to improve our faceoffs. Stepan does a lot for us at center but we knew going in he's poor at faceoffs. He was always bad at it in NY. He's actually at a career high this year, 48%. This is why I want Bozak in UFA. One of the top faceoff guys the last few years (and that's just one side of his game). We waste so much time trying to get the puck back because of our poor faceoff numbers. Let's just get the puck in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad