GDT: Game #41 | Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago Blackhawks | 8:30 PM EST | FS-D+

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
lots of people upset because of how it happened but in reality the Wings just played against San Jose and Chicago on back to back nights and the Chicago game was on the road and got 2 points out of it

other than a ROW point it's functionally identical to if they'd won one and lost the other which really when you have a schedule like that over a couple days is all that can be reasonably expected anyways

It's more like "Hey let's have a lead with a few minutes left in the game and then give away the extra point. Hey that thing we did last night? That was fun. Let's do it again tonight!"

Getting old.

The number of times they've given up a lead, even multi goal leads, to end up losing the game this season is incredibly frustrating.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
It's more like "Hey let's have a lead with a few minutes left in the game and then give away the extra point. Hey that thing we did last night? That was fun. Let's do it again tonight!"

Getting old.

The number of times they've given up a lead, even multi goal leads, to end up losing the game this season is incredibly frustrating.

It's not frustrating when you accept that they're not good enough to hold the lead against a skilled team that starts pressing at the end of the game.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I've gotta say though that the more I look at the standings the more pissed off and annoyed I get. We could be sitting comfortable at 47 points, 4 points up on Dallas and everyone else. We would only need 3 or 4 wins out of the final 7 instead of where we are right now... If only we could hold a lead. :dunno:

Even looking back at the games against the Jackets when they sucked and we lost or the losses against the Flames. Those are the losses we have to look back at if we do indeed miss the playoffs.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I missed the game tonight, but to be honest I'm happy we got a point.

It's not ideal but the rest of our schedule is relatively easy (only 3 playoff teams), with some key games versus the teams trailing us (DAL, PHX). Those are the must wins.

Dallas and Phoenix both have 6 matchups versus playoff teams so it's a tougher road. We'd have to really crap the bed to miss.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I've gotta say though that the more I look at the standings the more pissed off and annoyed I get. We could be sitting comfortable at 47 points, 4 points up on Dallas and everyone else. We would only need 3 or 4 wins out of the final 7 instead of where we are right now... If only we could hold a lead. :dunno:

Even looking back at the games against the Jackets when they sucked and we lost or the losses against the Flames. Those are the losses we have to look back at if we do indeed miss the playoffs.

Or all those games where we had a 2 goal lead and blew it?

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone

It's not ideal but the rest of our schedule is relatively easy (only 3 playoff teams), with some key games versus the teams trailing us (DAL, PHX). Those are the must wins.

Dallas and Phoenix both have 6 matchups versus playoff teams so it's a tougher road. We'd have to really crap the bed to miss.

Just like Colorado should've been relatively easy over a week ago. You can't be too sure with this team.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The general consensus around here and in the media was that Detroit will miss the playoffs prior to the season.

So I can't say I'd be upset if that does indeed happen. Which also explains my stance on not trading away draft picks...regardless of what Holland did last year.

To be quite honest, they've performed better than I thought they would or at the pace I expected this season.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Just like Colorado should've been relatively easy over a week ago. You can't be too sure with this team.

Well, they did win both those games.

All I'm saying is we're in an alright position for the 8th seed. The team just needs to turn the switch and not pull this disappearing act thing.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
The general consensus around here and in the media was that Detroit will miss the playoffs prior to the season.

So I can't say I'd be upset if that does indeed happen. Which also explains my stance on not trading away draft picks...regardless of what Holland did last year.

To be quite honest, they've performed better than I thought they would or at the pace I expected this season.

I agree, man, and I've stated the same thing.

Practically everyone predicted a 7-9th seed finish and that's right where we're at. Our horrible D on paper has been a little better than I expected, especially with Kindl and Ericsson stepping up into bigger roles.

Being surprised or upset about where we're at is a little ridiculous considering.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Practically everyone predicted a 7-9th seed finish and that's right where we're at. Our horrible D on paper has been a little better than I expected, especially with Kindl and Ericsson stepping up into bigger roles.

Being surprised or upset about where we're at is a little ridiculous considering.

I think the bigger issue is the lack of fire right now.

Cbus isn't even in a playoff spot and their fans are loving every second of it. We have been in control of our own destiny for the majority of the season and there haven't been many positives from the board. One reason might be due to the fact Columbus hasn't had 21 straight years of playoff appearances, but they have at least been entertained.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

I could've dealt with a tank season but being a playoff bubble team is much more stressful then anything I've dealt with as a Wings fan in my lifetime. I'm more so going to be annoyed at them playing so well only to squander a chance to be in the playoffs. I'm generally an optimistic person so even though I thought they'd be a 6-11 team I always felt they'd be closer to 6 then 11. This is also the first time I've watched 95% of the games so I'm feeling quite attached to this team. :laugh:

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids

Definitely, and I don't know where the blame falls there. Babcock? or is it the team that Holland assembled?

Columbus is definitely a more exciting team, for more reasons than their past success. It's straight up hard working hockey every night, with a goalie who's outplayed all expectations. Considering their prospect pool with the guys they have now, they have a ton to be excited about. Columbus is trending up, Detroit is trending down.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Cbus isn't even in a playoff spot and their fans are loving every second of it. We have been in control of our own destiny for the majority of the season and there haven't been many positives from the board. One reason might be due to the fact Columbus hasn't had 21 straight years of playoff appearances, but they have at least been entertained.

There's a big difference in fan reaction when a team is on the rise versus when a team is on the decline.

There was plenty of excitement back in the day when the Wings were fighting for a play off spot. That was because of how bad things had been and we could all see the potential for the future.

It's hard to have those same feelings when you are fighting for a playoff spot with dark clouds hanging over the team in the immediate future.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
There's a big difference in fan reaction when a team is on the rise versus when a team is on the decline.

There was plenty of excitement back in the day when the Wings were fighting for a play off spot. That was because of how bad things had been and we could all see the potential for the future.

It's hard to have those same feelings when you are fighting for a playoff spot with dark clouds hanging over the team in the immediate future.

Have to agree. This Wings roster isnt up-and-coming with youth and potential. This is the USS Missouri seeing action in Iraq and Afghanistan.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Definitely, and I don't know where the blame falls there. Babcock? or is it the team that Holland assembled?

Columbus is definitely a more exciting team, for more reasons than their past success. It's straight up hard working hockey every night, with a goalie who's outplayed all expectations. Considering their prospect pool with the guys they have now, they have a ton to be excited about. Columbus is trending up, Detroit is trending down.

This is the first season with a new captain, too.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone

I don't mind sucking if we're going to be rebuilding. But if Holland tells me they're going for it, then I want them to go for it dammit. It's frustrating to know that the plan is to aim to be mediocre and then hope to get lucky.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don't mind sucking if we're going to be rebuilding. But if Holland tells me they're going for it, then I want them to go for it dammit. It's frustrating to know that the plan is to aim to be mediocre and then hope to get lucky.

I hear ya. I think that's where most of the negativity stems from. Back then we had young exciting players that we knew were going to take us someplace.

Now we have two aging superstars and a boat load of middle of the road nhlers. We know where that will ultimately lead to. Which is why a lot of us are saying screw it play the kids. We are hoping we have one or two diamonds in the rough to lead us back to the top.

Right now the known is not as exciting as the unknown. Doesn't have any upside or potential. It's hard for fans to be positive under those conditions.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Columbus does not have a better prospect pool than Detroit, although I am sure it will inflate with the 1st round picks, honestly it was probably in their best interest long term to be bad for one more season and barnstorm the east as a surprise next year in my opinion.

This is exciting but 8 games left, seven on the road where outside of a couple games at the Joe they have been anemic.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Around here I saw most people saying it was a 50/50 thing, not that they will miss the playoffs. It really is 50/50. When you take into account that this is completely intraconference, there are three point games everywhere, it's a shorter season, and the teams battling it out for 7/8 are like, within a couple points of each other. Whether you make it or not down there can be luck of the draw. Do what you can and earn your points, but the other teams might earn theirs too.

I just hope we don't get any crap about "a switch" like we did last year.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

+1
I am fine with 2 points in last 2 games. We were 3 min/1 SO goal away from 3/4 points.

Considering all the injuries, not bad at all.

I think everybody on our D was stepping up into bigger roles.

BJs are not exciting at all to me. They have taken the recipe from the Preds and play boring hockey. Interestingly though, their best player Nash got traded and they seem better. On the other hand the Rangers are struggling. Strange?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Would prefer 2/4 points + 1 ROW (1 regulation win and 1 regulation loss) from a standings perspective, but just 2 points is all we got. It will have to do moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad