GDT: Game 40: Sharks vs Coyotes - 7:00pm - BSAZ - Fish AND Cut Bait Edition.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
BA didn't have to ask Chych did he, but did. That shows respect to the player. BA stated that Chych was the only untouchable at one point.
No, he didn't have to, but he did... twice and I find that odd. Asking once is respectful, asking twice is a nudge (or at least could be taken that way.) If BA stuck to the original response from their first conversation Chychrun might not be on the market right now. I think it might be a mistake, personally.

Asking a second time is like saying "are you sure," which creates doubt, implies that BA didn't get the answer he wanted, or didn't believe him. I'm sure Chychrun would've gone directly to BA if he had changed his mind.

Chych hadn't asked for a trade, yet it sounds like BA proactively gave him two unsolicited chances to say yes to one. That's beyond a courtesy and starts to look like fishing for a desired response.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
"No need to trade him at his request?" The team approached him. Chych has been 100% professional in all this. He was just telling everyone how it went down, but as usual most can't comprehend that. Chych stated that the team will "try" to move him to a better situation. He has played his ass off since returning. Chych and the team are on the same page. Chych knows he will get traded if and when BA gets his asking price. Why some of you point fingers at Chych is beyond me.
Not pointing a finger. While the team initially approached Chychrun about being traded, the current stir seems to be from his camp, that he wants out. Or so it seems to me. There has been a lot written about whether he really wants to leave or has asked for a trade. My point is that I don't care until it is free agent time, when he can leave on his own.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think BA told Chych he was going to build around the young core and wants him to be part of that. Chych initially agreed but then saw BA get rid of Garland/DVO while he struggled on a bad team as the 1D. Chych rethought his position and went back to BA and said he wants out, realizing it would take longer and BA was dumping young players.

I hope he some how stays now. We have to figure out how to keep our home grown talent, DVO/Chych/Bunting/Garland/Hayton/Keller/Maccelli/Guenther and let them bond while they further develop.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
"The team approached me a couple of times, one before the [2021-22 season], one early in the season and we just had discussions about where I was mentally and where the team was at,"

" decided to take them up on that offer and try to move on to a better situation [because of] my desire to to win in this league. Careers are so short, the time flies by, and I'm in my seventh year in the NHL. It's just crazy.

"I don't want these years to keep going by and be 10, 12 years in and not had a real good chance at not only the playoffs, but winning the Stanley Cup. That's really my mentality and where I'm at and I think the team understands that, to get moved to a situation with a chance to win and a team that's fighting for the Stanley Cup."
Yep and if you look at the chronology, it’s extremely plausible that his mentality morphed into what became the last of your quotes by way of the first quote.
I was a psych major, but that isn’t even close to necessary to understand human nature in this scenario.

I can't help but wonder why the Team asked him more than once? To push him to asking out? Or is he really not a good teammate?
That’s simple, he’s the most attractive piece based on skill and contract.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That's what Chych said. The team approached him, not Chych asking for a trade. To bad injuries has prolonged this trade.
It’s that lack of comprehension that I find so amusing. From there the lack of understanding the mental state of a competitive athlete becomes the issue that few seem to be able to grasp.
Chych did not start this and any evolution that is deemed as “Chych want out,” was just that. The evolution of positivity, a natural process for such an individual.
Many athletes would have just remained quiet, Chych did not, that’s about all there is to it, imo.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think BA told Chych he was going to build around the young core and wants him to be part of that. Chych initially agreed but then saw BA get rid of Garland/DVO while he struggled on a bad team as the 1D. Chych rethought his position and went back to BA and said he wants out, realizing it would take longer and BA was dumping young players.

I hope he some how stays now. We have to figure out how to keep our home grown talent, DVO/Chych/Bunting/Garland/Hayton/Keller/Maccelli/Guenther and let them bond while they further develop.
Excellent point and observation. An emotional knee jerk in the spirit of one Mr Shane Doan after the Yandle trade.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Excellent point and observation. An emotional knee jerk in the spirit of one Mr Shane Doan after the Yandle trade.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The way BA tore everything down was really unprecedented and could have pissed off some players. Chych said himself he thought the team was headed in the right direction before the trades, so you never know. On top of that, AT did not utilize Chych for success. Of course we don't know what happened behind those closed doors but I could understand why players were not happy, as careers are very short.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
It’s that lack of comprehension that I find so amusing. From there the lack of understanding the mental state of a competitive athlete becomes the issue that few seem to be able to grasp.
Chych did not start this and any evolution that is deemed as “Chych want out,” was just that. The evolution of positivity, a natural process for such an individual.
Many athletes would have just remained quiet, Chych did not, that’s about all there is to it, imo.
You think we should keep Chychrun because he’s good at hockey and plays for your favorite team.

I want to trade Chychrun because the coyotes suck and need long term assets.

You can talk about what you majored in (I don’t care) or manufactured thoughts but regardless Chychrun has asked for a trade. We can keep him and lose him for nothing in 2.5 years or we trade him for several prime assets. (The longer we keep him the less we should expect back in a trade)

It’s not that difficult to understand. For someone with a college degree I would think you would be capable of understanding.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think Chych's decision was knee jerk. He said he discussed with family and friends. Speaking of Doan and the Yandle trade, Doan was right.

Reactions: Coyotes19c

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
I don't think Chych's decision was knee jerk. He said he discussed with family and friends. Speaking of Doan and the Yandle trade, Doan was right.
Of course it wasn’t a knee jerk decision. Everything Jakob does is calculated. He has the benefit of having a father who knows the business very well. You think his dad wants him to remain with the coyotes after his contract?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You think we should keep Chychrun because he’s good at hockey and plays for your favorite team.

You can talk about what you majored in (I don’t care) or manufactured thoughts but regardless Chychrun has asked for a trade. We can keep him and lose him for nothing in 2.5 years or we trade him for several prime assets. (The longer we keep him the less we should expect back in a trade)

It’s not that difficult to understand. For someone with a college degree I would think you would be capable of understanding.
If you don't get the assets you want in a trade, you keep such player. Your statements are full of assumptions. Again, Chych did not ask for a trade. The Coyotes approached him and he took them up on their offer. I don't have a college degree, but I'm capable of understanding the situation because I use my eyes, ears and brains, which the way it sounds you haven't.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I love Shane Doan and I think the world of him, but I think he overreacted a lot about Yandle and Vermette being traded. I understand why he reacted that way, because he was near the end of his career and he liked having his pals around the room. But the team was sucking and needed futures, and there was no ROI in keeping either Yands or Vermie around while they were mired in the standings doldrums.

I also think that John Chayka was absolutely right to tell Doan it was time to hang up his skates, although I abhor the shitty way he went about it. Doan was as much in denial about that as he was about the trades.

Professional sports are horrible places to build friendships unless you can understand that they are not just businesses, but businesses that can sever you from your friends and your home at a moment's notice with very little recourse except the weak-ass provisions of the CBA. If you accept that reality, then you can make it through situations like the one in which Jakob Chychrun now finds himself.

The Coyotes have actually treated Chychrun far better than anyone could really expect them to with regard to this trade scenario, comparatively speaking. That the franchise gave him the time and space to discuss the situation with family and made him part of the process is relatively unheard of these days.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
If you don't get the assets you want in a trade, you keep such player. Your statements are full of assumptions. Again, Chych did not ask for a trade. The Coyotes approached him and he took them up on their offer. I don't have a college degree, but I'm capable of understanding the situation because I use my eyes, ears and brains, which the way it sounds you haven't.
When someone disagrees with you the first thing you do is put them down. I can’t imagine you do that outside the internet, right?

I understand the situation very well. He wants to be traded and has 2.5 years left on his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: GiveAFlyingPuck

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

You have a wildly speculative/assumptive nature!
First off, I’m not certain I want to keep Chychrun, that would depend on the return. Secondly (and most humorously) your recent post showed that the team originally ask Chychrun about a trade, not the other way around.
Lastly, I never said I got a degree. :laugh:

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
BA to Chych - thinking of trading you, your thoughts?
Chych to BA - after speaking with family etc., yeah I’d be okay with that.
Chych sees BA going with yard sale - goes to BA, says I want out.
Knee jerk, but let’s face it none of really know what went down.

Reactions: TheLegend

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
BA (ex-scout, now GM) to JC: had multiple inquiries about your availability (thinking this was a compliment), some offers had me taking notice

JC (untouchable) to BA: If it's to a contender, I'm all in
BA to JC: ...err okay then.

JC got injured and then went fishing with gramps and paw in Ontario
Gramps: sure would be nice if you played up here for Ottawa, 20 minutes to the stadium. Been talking to Garrioch about that!
Paw: yeah, he's been bugging me too!
JC: yup, ...I got a nibble!

JC back with the Coyotes still on medication after the surgery: .(his best Marlon Brando impersonation) I could have been a contender!

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
You have a wildly speculative/assumptive nature!
First off, I’m not certain I want to keep Chychrun, that would depend on the return. Secondly (and most humorously) your recent post showed that the team originally ask Chychrun about a trade, not the other way around.
Lastly, I never said I got a degree. :laugh:
To me it never really mattered who started the conversation about being traded. Right now as it stands Chychrun wants to go to a different team. Once GMBA asked the question (two different times) the writing was on the wall.

I get why it matters to some but to me it doesn’t matter. Chychrun said yes and here we are. He could have easily said no and my opinion on the situation would be much different.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
To me it never really mattered who started the conversation about being traded. Right now as it stands Chychrun wants to go to a different team. Once GMBA asked the question (two different times) the writing was on the wall.

I get why it matters to some but to me it doesn’t matter. Chychrun said yes and here we are. He could have easily said no and my opinion on the situation would be much different.
I think it only matters in attempting to get a read on his mindset and a grasp on the multitude of possible scenarios playing out, now and in the future.
I’m not certain he wants to go to a different team at this point. I also don’t believe for a minute that he will make any formal announcement (neither will the team), should this entire situation flip 180.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad