Half-Assed GDT: Game 4, LAK at our boys in Blue, 8pm ET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The game was not on here, so I only saw the highlights. Let's just say watching the score update online as the game went on, I was relieved. We have struggled with LA the last ten or so years, and while I am not sold on the Kings this year, it looked like a trap game.

Needless to say, when I saw them grab a 1-0 lead, I though "here we go again." Luckily, Bob Uecker summed it up best:
just-a-bit-outside.gif

We exorcised a lot of ghosts in the playoffs in 2019. I hope we chase the rest this year. Four games does not make a season, but it has been a fun start to the ride.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Dom is a perfect example of someone who spends more time watching the spreadsheet rather than the actual game...And then is later surprised when his predictions and conclusions are wildly inaccurate.
View attachment 473627
View attachment 473628

Only 36 more games until Dom changes his mind on this team :laugh::laugh:

I think Dom’ll change his mind a lot sooner than that. My God.

I've been watching Steve Dangle since like 2010, and he brings up Dom a lot as a voice of reason or as an expert opinion, but jesus christ what an awful take. On paper, you have to admit that this lineup is easily a Stanley Cup contending lineup. Defense may or may not be, but they have chances to prove that, but the forwards are undoubtedly one of the best lineups in the NHL. I don't know if it was a bit of a troll or an honest opinion he had.

Also, I think it's time to start callin my boy Barbashev an elite goal scorer. Plays mainly 4th line, has never played more than 13:30 average in his career (until this year), but his shooting % is sittin at a dirty 17.8%. Y'all don't have to say it but I will :naughty:

I don’t think that Dom is a bad person or an ignorant one for not liking the Blues this year. Binner has had a rough couple of seasons. Saad wasn’t elite in CO. Parayko is coming off a throwaway season. Neal was hot garbage in Alberta and got bought out. Who the hell is Jake Neighbours? Too many guys on the wrong side of 30. I get why the algorithm wouldn’t like us.

But _that’s_ my gripe with most hockey models: overreliance on the past, regardless of context. Did we really bottom-out after the cup, or did we just not handle the pandemic very well? Did Parayko’s back heal? Do Neal, Saad, and Buch fit our play style better than their previous teams? How do they perform when surrounded by an entirely different lineup, and one that is a lot deeper? How does changing special teams deployment factor in? These things don’t get answered by the models. And that’s where on-the-ground context and background come in, right? Like if you could bet against Dom’s model, you’d have to take the over given what we know, right? The model is a really helpful tool that accounts for a ton of really important stuff, but you can’t just use it on its own, and nobody in their right mind would ask you to.

The problem to me, really, is that the National media doesn’t, and hasn’t ever, given a solitary shit about the Blues. The Post Dispatch writers that cover this team would rather be covering football or soccer, and neither seem to really be contributing in any meaningful way to the season’s narrative. The Blues don’t have a fan stats account like most other teams do, so we don’t have someone dedicated to interpreting the numbers from our perspective: it gets done for us. So I don’t think the problem is really the models, or the numbers, the problem is not having control of the narrative. And maybe that’s important, maybe it’s not, but I doubt as many Blues fans would be as skeptical of these types of things if there was someone out there speaking for us and interpreting things on our behalf.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Dom is a perfect example of someone who spends more time watching the spreadsheet rather than the actual game...And then is later surprised when his predictions and conclusions are wildly inaccurate.
In other words, he’s the Keith Law of hockey.

Reactions: BlueMed

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I've been watching Steve Dangle since like 2010, and he brings up Dom a lot as a voice of reason or as an expert opinion, but jesus christ what an awful take. On paper, you have to admit that this lineup is easily a Stanley Cup contending lineup. Defense may or may not be, but they have chances to prove that, but the forwards are undoubtedly one of the best lineups in the NHL. I don't know if it was a bit of a troll or an honest opinion he had.

Also, I think it's time to start callin my boy Barbashev an elite goal scorer. Plays mainly 4th line, has never played more than 13:30 average in his career (until this year), but his shooting % is sittin at a dirty 17.8%. Y'all don't have to say it but I will :naughty:
His new nickname is Backhandachef.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don’t think that Dom is a bad person or an ignorant one for not liking the Blues this year. Binner has had a rough couple of seasons. Saad wasn’t elite in CO. Parayko is coming off a throwaway season. Neal was hot garbage in Alberta and got bought out. Who the hell is Jake Neighbours? Too many guys on the wrong side of 30. I get why the algorithm wouldn’t like us.

But _that’s_ my gripe with most hockey models: overreliance on the past, regardless of context. Did we really bottom-out after the cup, or did we just not handle the pandemic very well? Did Parayko’s back heal? Do Neal, Saad, and Buch fit our play style better than their previous teams? How do they perform when surrounded by an entirely different lineup, and one that is a lot deeper? How does changing special teams deployment factor in? These things don’t get answered by the models. And that’s where on-the-ground context and background come in, right? Like if you could bet against Dom’s model, you’d have to take the over given what we know, right? The model is a really helpful tool that accounts for a ton of really important stuff, but you can’t just use it on its own, and nobody in their right mind would ask you to.

The problem to me, really, is that the National media doesn’t, and hasn’t ever, given a solitary shit about the Blues. The Post Dispatch writers that cover this team would rather be covering football or soccer, and neither seem to really be contributing in any meaningful way to the season’s narrative. The Blues don’t have a fan stats account like most other teams do, so we don’t have someone dedicated to interpreting the numbers from our perspective: it gets done for us. So I don’t think the problem is really the models, or the numbers, the problem is not having control of the narrative. And maybe that’s important, maybe it’s not, but I doubt as many Blues fans would be as skeptical of these types of things if there was someone out there speaking for us and interpreting things on our behalf.
I mean he can rely on his models if they are relatively consistent for him. I don't begrudge him for that necessarily. What I find annoying is the complete lack of regard for the team on paper when it is clearly a very good team. Saad is a fine player, good two-way forward who was on pace for 20+ goals again. Binnington has been fine, but he's not a vezina goalie. He doesn't have to be though as long as he makes the saves he has to, which he has routinely done. Buchnevich is a budding top 10 winger in this league in his prime. Tarasenko is healthy as he says and could be a huge threat on the 3rd line, and James Neal, although he had a rough couple of years, is a fine depth option on this team. I mean if we're going to talk about how great the Leafs roster looks on paper, then we can do the same about the Blues, or any team for that matter. Whether they do well is a completely different story that no one can really project, but we should be able to talk about the makeup of the team realistically instead of shutting them down.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
On paper, you have to admit that this lineup is easily a Stanley Cup contending lineup. Defense may or may not be, but they have chances to prove that.
Yes sure. We are Contender. :sarcasm:

Let's see is this your opinion after next 78 games.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but in my eyes our D-core is just too weak vs better competition. Good to see we are hot team now and we are getting important points vs our toughest opponents looking in to spring.

You never win at autumn a Cup, but really bad start could handcuffs team to push even harder at trades or TDL. Making GM do some bad moves. If front office thinks we are all-in, but doesn't perform like he has vision.

Reactions: Blues Knight

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Missed the game, great to see Neighbors get his 1st.

Were the 2nd and 3rd goals against a case of relaxing with a big lead again?
Brown's goal was a quick breakout with their D jumping into the rush. Schenn could have played that better as he was caught too deep with Neal AND Kyrou.

Grundstrom's goal was a mishandle by Bozak and then some quick passing and a juicy rebound.

Reactions: Davimir Tarablad

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Did anyone else watch the Kings' Bally's stream?

Jarett Stoll is a great color guy, but quite nervous when the camera is on him. He was absolutely gushing about the Blues' players and, apparently, got called out on it cuz at one point Stoll said, "Ok, now I'm paying all of my attention to our players." LOL

If he keeps this up, he won't be on the Kings' broadcast team for long.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Yes sure. We are Contender. :sarcasm:

Let's see is this your opinion after next 78 games.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but in my eyes our D-core is just too weak vs better competition. Good to see we are hot team now and we are getting important points vs our toughest opponents looking in to spring.

You never win at autumn a Cup, but really bad start could handcuffs team to push even harder at trades or TDL. Making GM do some bad moves. If front office thinks we are all-in, but doesn't perform like he has vision.
This could just be a language barrier thing, but I was talking to the forwards when I was quoting the lineup. That's kinda why I said the defense may or may not be a Stanley Cup caliber defense, but they have done pretty well in 4 games. The forwards are without question Stanley Cup quality.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
This could just be a language barrier thing, but I was talking to the forwards when I was quoting the lineup. That's kinda why I said the defense may or may not be a Stanley Cup caliber defense, but they have done pretty well in 4 games. The forwards are without question Stanley Cup quality.
Not a language barrier thing, he jumps on any post that mentions the defense.

Reactions: BlueDream

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I thought I heard a personal favorite of mine playing,

Land of 1000 Dances - Wilson Pickett

Used quite well here:

We've been nailing our victory songs the past few years.

"Gloria" obviously, but outside of that "Runaround Sue" by Dion and "Higher" by Jackie Wilson were great picks that I listened to regularly outside of games.

and now another classic to add to the list. :yo: :heart:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
As to the defense, I agree that our defense is our weakest link, specifically our play in our own end. On the flip side, we'll get plenty of offense from our defense.

Krug and Faulk are getting points to start the season, and Parayko has that jump again, he appears to be fully healed.

Instead of trying to be something they're not, they'll have to play to their strengths.

Still, you could do a lot worse than our defense...take a look around the league.

From top to bottom, this is a great team. I don't think some of you realize how spoiled/lucky we are to be experiencing this era of Blues hockey. :cool::D:popcorn:

How many here are in a hurry to go back to the Mike Kitchen years?
How about the Bob Berry era?
Mike Keenan anyone?

:help:

Nah, all hail Berube. :yo: :heart:

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Did anyone else watch the Kings' Bally's stream?

Jarett Stoll is a great color guy, but quite nervous when the camera is on him. He was absolutely gushing about the Blues' players and, apparently, got called out on it cuz at one point Stoll said, "Ok, now I'm paying all of my attention to our players." LOL

If he keeps this up, he won't be on the Kings' broadcast team for long.
Stoll has been really solid with us on the broadcast team. He's more pleasant to listen to than our play by play guy that's forsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad