Post-Game Talk: GAME 4 - Bruins lose to Cats ( again ) 4 - 3 )

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
If winning the cup = success in the playoffs, then 94% of teams fail in the playoffs.
But if Monty can't find playoff success after two high-quality regular seasons, and then follows it up with a poor regular season, questions about his effectiveness are valid.

Why do we quickly look at the coach and not the players for failing in the playoffs? Why doesn't any ever look at a guy like Pastrnak who over the last 3 regular seasons was a 1.05 P/GP player, but a 0.70 P/GP in the playoffs?
We look at the coach because Monty's made some obviously poor decisions in the postseason.
Sure we also look at Pastrnak, but we know that checking intensity increases in the playoffs and he is the number one shutdown target of opposing teams.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
If winning the cup = success in the playoffs, then 94% of teams fail in the playoffs.

Why do we quickly look at the coach and not the players for failing in the playoffs? Why doesn't any ever look at a guy like Pastrnak who over the last 3 regular seasons was a 1.05 P/GP player, but a 0.70 P/GP in the playoffs?

Seeing as Pastrnak is alone on an island lacking talent it is easy for the opponent to shadow him specifically and shut down the entire Boston offense. That part is on coaching, specifically the abysmal PP effort which loses more games than it wins.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Seeing as Pastrnak is alone on an island lacking talent it is easy for the opponent to shadow him specifically and shut down the entire Boston offense. That part is on coaching, specifically the abysmal PP effort which loses more games than it wins.
I agree with you to an extent, but the responsibility should be shared 50 50.
It is the coach's responsible to make adjustments (especially in the playoffs) specifically tailored to counter the opposition.
It is the player's responsibility to work through and overcome adversity created on the ice by the opposition. Some rise to the occasion, others don't.
If the coach, or the players, are not doing their share, it makes the other look bad. The question often is, whom to blame?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
But if Monty can't find playoff success after two high-quality regular seasons, and then follows it up with a poor regular season, questions about his effectiveness are valid.

We look at the coach because Monty's made some obviously poor decisions in the postseason.
Sure we also look at Pastrnak, but we know that checking intensity increases in the playoffs and he is the number one shutdown target of opposing teams.

How many player have had careers years under Monty? Maybe the coach isn't the issue? Maybe the team assembled isn't built for the playoffs

So the lack of talent is on the coach and not the GM who built the team?

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
This team ALLEGEDLY was built for it this time around. The size, the alleged attitude and mentality for playing a rough, tough, physical style.

False. Disappointed. A team of Wheelers and Bitzs is not going to be enough unless we play Toronto yet again.

Montgomery needs to clone the Florida coaching strategy and allow the players to be the hammer not the nail.

Frederic was the most invisible Bruin today. Was he warned by the Bruins or the NHL to not repeat game 1? Leaning Bruins management at this point.

Since Claude left the Bruins have taken more pride in turning the other cheek than defending and message sending.
Two words. Four games

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
It's not that they are 2-2 It's how they are playing. Suppose to be bigger and tougher, with more push back. That has been completely missing. Goalie getting run, Pasta getting run and Zacha having to fight for him, no response to Greer the whole game.

They will be fine regarding wins and losses in the regular season but this was suppose to be about being tougher to play against and a tougher out in the playoffs, I have seen no indication of that yet.
The team is bigger than last year.
They look slower to me vs last year, but that could just be my perception, since larger players look like they skate slower than smaller players.
Coyle/Geekie and Frederic's start has been less than stellar.
Kastelic has been very good and if he can get 15 goals, that's a bonus.
I could care less about fighting, which is almost none existent in the NHL now / with the exception of some player running my goalie and or throwing any type of dirty hit to a team mate.

I would rather see the team pick each other up by throwing some nice clean hits and winning on the score board.
BTW we have 3 players in the top 12 for hits thrown this season, so that is a good sign.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
There is more to coaching than just a winning record ... especially with a loaded lineup.

My question concerning Montgomery is has he learned and become a better coach during his time here in Boston?

First year veteran line up set regular season all time record and then loaded for the playoffs. Team personnel made Montgomery's job very easy.

Playoffs, Coach failed to make adjustments to game plan/strategy against Florida during the series, lost at home game 7 overtime. Never should have lost that series. Never.

Second year one of the top teams eastern conference ... never having a true number 1 center. Some players over performed exceeding.
Playoffs, Won round one (luckily) against Toronto game 7 overtime at home - thank you Lindholm, Pastrnak, and Swayman.
Second round against Florida lost in six games at home. Made to few of adjustments to late into the series. The team did not have the same horses as the year before. Better, but made adjustments too little too late.

This year it's early ... I'm wondering if it will be more of the same old same old approach? It's been very successful, but not without flaws.
My question still stands has Montgomery learned from his experiences or will he just keep doing the same thing?
The regular season hides many of those flaws, but I want to see in season evidence that he has learned to make adjustments to his game plan.

Team talent has changed (dropped or rearranged) and many new faces. Can players who over preformed last year repeat their success?
How will Montgomery adjust and adapt to get the most out of this group.
It may take 40 - 60 games to see what we really have as a team and for a coach.

We need to give the team and him at least that much time.

Agree with much of this.

It seems the big problem with Monty nay-sayers is the playoffs. And it's because he hasn't mde the proper adjustments to beat Florida. Of course, no one says what those adjustment should be. Not sure that there really are any. Two years in the playoffs the Bruins lost to the team that went to the Cup Final once and then won the Cup. Two years where no team in the East won a series against them. One year where no team period won a series against them. Are all the NHL coaches of good (playoff) teams bad at making adjustments?

Yes, the Bruins should have beat the Panthers in 2023. They were up 3 games to 1 and had chances in all three games that followed to put them away. Some coaching decisions didn't work out. Going too long with the best goalie in the NHL that season. Putting back into the lineup the best two-way center the Bruins ever had as well as his longtime 2nd line center teammate. But the players on that great team still could have won any of those three games. And they didn't get it done.

As you said, let's see what we have in say, the new year.

Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Agree with much of this.

It seems the big problem with Monty nay-sayers is the playoffs. And it's because he hasn't mde the proper adjustments to beat Florida. Of course, no one says what those adjustment should be. Not sure that there really are any. Two years in the playoffs the Bruins lost to the team that went to the Cup Final once and then won the Cup. Two years where no team in the East won a series against them. One year where no team period won a series against them. Are all the NHL coaches of good (playoff) teams bad at making adjustments?

Yes, the Bruins should have beat the Panthers in 2023. They were up 3 games to 1 and had chances in all three games that followed to put them away. Some coaching decisions didn't work out. Going too long with the best goalie in the NHL that season. Putting back into the lineup the best two-way center the Bruins ever had as well as his longtime 2nd line center teammate. But the players on that great team still could have won any of those three games. And they didn't get it done.

As you said, let's see what we have in say, the new year.

Plenty of talk in town about when the Bruins were down 2-0 to Montreal in '11, Julien would have been fired. Then Thomas put on his hero's cape and saved not only Julien's job but the playoff run.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

How is that on the coach? The GM put together the team.

Why can't teams do that against Pasta in the regular season?

You can't shadow a guy when short-handed. And still Pasta struggled badly down the stretch and in the playoffs last season on the power play.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I concur re playoffs. Playoffs are what counts. And we have a long time and a long way to go find and establish our identity. And miles to go before we sleep.
Yes same

It’s not Florida but a team struggling and you have a chance to make them 1-3

Devils look legit they are probably going to grab a spot; Bruins can’t be dicking around

Also

Not sure what’s up with Coyle ~ I agree stick him with Freddie & Geekie

Monty seems like a 500 ish record on Black Friday he’s gone

No extension

Be interesting if he run’s Swayman out there more then should

Thomas didn’t put that hero cap on until the ECF
He was amazing though in that 4-3 OT game 4 ???? I think

Kelly wearing cage scored late then Ryder in overtime

Thomas was crazy insanely good

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I have a love/hate relationship with shorthanded goals.

Love it when the Bruins grab one—really deflates the opposition and their power play. :D

Absolutely HATE it when the Bruins give up a shortie—no excuse for that level of sloppiness!! :mad:

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Monty is coaching like he has in the past . Problem is it's not the same team . No PB or DK .
Coaching style has to change to reflect the present roster

Reactions: JAD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad