BRUINS GDT GAME 4 - 1:07 PM - THE BEAR goes shark hunting - NESN, ESPN+, SN1, 92.9 WBOS-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-10-23_13-31-28.png

upload_2021-10-23_13-32-11.png

upload_2021-10-23_13-32-55.png

It's been eight years since the San Jose Sharks opened a season with five consecutive victories. And, nearly as long since they beat the Boston Bruins.

The Sharks look to continue their undefeated start when they visit the Bruins on Sunday.

San Jose has been one of the surprise teams through the early days of the 2021-22 campaign. Logan Couture had two goals with an assist and Adin Hill made 30 saves as the Sharks won a third straight game on the road, 5-3 at Toronto on Friday.

Outscoring opponents 16-7, San Jose is trying to go 5-0-0 for the first time since the 2013-14 season. It's a pleasant beginning for a club that felt good about itself entering this season, despite not having made the playoffs since 2018-19.

"It's huge to start like this," Couture, who's recorded all three of his goals in the last two games, told the official NHL website. "That was the main focus in training camp, to get off to a good start this year.

"We really had a good camp, a really good preseason and we've carried into the regular season."

In addition to Couture's strong play, veteran defenseman Erik Karlsson has notched two goals with four assists. Hill, meanwhile, has stopped 71 of the 77 shots he's faced to win his first three starts. Backup James Reimer made 30 saves in a 2-1 victory at Ottawa on Thursday.

San Jose's hot start, however, will truly be put to the test in this contest. Though these teams haven't met since Oct. 29, 2019, the Sharks are 0-5-2 against the Bruins since a 3-2 home victory on March 15, 2016. Their most recent victory at Boston came on Nov. 15, 2016.

The Bruins have won two of their first three games of the season, and halted Buffalo's 3-0-0 start with Friday's 4-1 road victory. Members of Boston's famed "Perfection Line," David Pastrnak tallied his first goal of the season Friday while Patrice Bergeron assisted on the first-period score for his first points of 2021-22.

Boston also got a goal and two assists at Buffalo from center Charlie Coyle, his first points of the campaign.
Coyle scored in the team's most recent meeting with San Jose.

"Happy for him," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said of Coyle. "(He found) a little offensive rhythm."
Boston star Brad Marchand is already feeling it with three goals and two assists. He's totaled four goals with four assists in his last six home games vs. San Jose.

After Linus Ullmark made 35 saves against his former Buffalo team Friday in his Boston debut, it's possible starter Jeremy Swayman will be back in net for this contest. Swayman stopped 27 of 28 shots in a 3-1 season-opening home victory, but then allowed five goals during Wednesday's 6-3 defeat at Philadelphia.

Couture has two goals with an assist in his last three games against the Bruins.

Boston could again be minus veteran forward Nick Foligno, who is in his first season with the team, but missed Friday's game with an upper-body injury.

"We should know by Sunday," Cassidy told the Bruins' official website of Foligno's availability. "I suspect he'll miss Sunday, as well."

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Lemme see..

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Hall Studnicka Smith
Debrusk Haula Coyle
Freddy Nosek Kuhlman

Grz Mcavoy
Reilly Carlo
Forbort Cliff

Swayman/Ullmark

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Banged-up Bruins bring Jack Studnicka back from Providence - The Boston Globe

He could play center or he could play wing, but this we know: With a few Bruins forwards banged up, Jack Studnicka is headed back to Boston.
The 22-year-old prospect, one of the last cuts from training camp, will join the team for Sunday’s matinee (1 o’clock) against the Sharks, coach Bruce Cassidy said, because third-line right wing Nick Foligno and fourth-line left wing Anton Blidh are out, and second-line right wing Craig Smith is questionable.
The Bruins were expected to finalize the transaction after Saturday’s 5 p.m. close of business, to keep Studnicka from counting against their daily salary-cap charge.

“He needs to play good, two-way hockey no matter what,” Cassidy said Saturday’s optional skate in Brighton. “We’re not going to ask him to be a physical presence. Be hard on pucks, play a 200-foot game, add a little tenacity to our lineup in terms of puck pursuit, second effort. He was good at that [in the preseason].”

Studnicka’s simplification of his game, consistent effort, and physical transformation helped him stick around in camp. He is likely to consider this his chance to stick in the show.
“We’d like him to never go back,” Cassidy said. “It’s a good problem for us.”

Cassidy said Foligno was due to have an MRI on his undisclosed upper-body ailment. The 33-year-old was hampered last spring by what he has termed a “debilitating” back injury, which caused him to miss three of Toronto’s seven playoff games. The former Columbus captain signed with the Bruins for two years and $7.6 million in July.

Smith, Cassidy said, is “dealing with a bit of a nagging injury that we’re trying to work through.” He did not skate Saturday.
Smith, who took Thursday off for maintenance, skated 11:06 in Friday night’s 4-1 win over the Sabres in Buffalo, Cassidy moving him to the third line and shuffling fourth-line center Tomas Nosek to the No. 2 right wing spot. During Smith’s 10:46 of ice time during five on five, per Natural Stat Trick, shot attempts were 27-2, Sabres.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Looking forward to this one. My daughter flew over night and is now sleeping on the couch. Her second team is the Sharks. She got a ticket in section 20.

I hope the Bs can beat the undefeated Sharks !
Sharks fan here. I come in peace. High Five your daughter for me every time the sharks score!!!! Best game to both teams! Go Sharks!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Sharks fan here. I come in peace. High Five your daughter for me every time the sharks score!!!! Best game to both teams! Go Sharks!
I like the Sharks . When she first moved from NH to Calif she went to Shark games (still does) . We were both Joe Thornton fans . So Amanda is OK with either team winning....BUT , the Bruins are her # 1.

I am going out West in Feb to the first game for the B's in Seattle. I will also go to the other 3 games in Calif. I have been there a couple of times. Nice folks / fans .

Oh. I will high five her when the Bs win !

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
I like the Sharks . When she first moved from NH to Calif she went to Shark games (still does) . We were both Joe Thornton fans . So Amanda is OK with either team winning....BUT , the Bruins are her # 1.

I am going out West in Feb to the first game for the B's in Seattle. I will also go to the other 3 games in Calif. I have been there a couple of times. Nice folks / fans .

Oh. I will high-five her when the Bs win !
Oh, It's a new sharks team. Gone are the Thorntons, Pavelski's, Marleau's, and Kane of old. We got a bunch of new kids that are exciting fast and good. Eklund, Weatherby, Dahlen and Hill.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Oh, It's a new sharks team. Gone are the Thorntons, Pavelski's, Marleau's, and Kane of old. We got a bunch of new kids that are exciting fast and good. Eklund, Weatherby, Dahlen and Hill.

It's definitely promising for Sharks fans this season.
Which is great considering it did not look like it would be over the summer.

Enjoy watching the kids grow. It's always a fun ride.
Just give us a break tomorrow, ok? ;)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have noticed ! Best of luck this season (except vs the Bruins). My daughter says "Hi".

See you in Feb. at the Tank

Reactions: bbfan419

FabulousLysell

Aug 20, 2020
While at you’re at it, might as well leave Hertl behind as well. Doesn’t sound like you’ll need him. ;)

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
I think this Sharks team will be Basking in the glow of that 4-0 start. I will Mako a prediction of 5-2 B's. McAvoy will be a Tiger in this one and Studs, on Loan from Providence, will lay down the Hammerhead and Bull his way to score in his 21/22 debut on our Great White ice surface. I expect these Sharks to leave in a Blue mood after they visit the Nurse before leaving. Ullmark will have a Whale of a game and settle down our crease all the while helping my Pool...ok, that's enough about the sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium