Post-Game Talk: Game 39 - 4 goals by Bergie as the B's harpoon the Whalercanes - BRUINS 7 Carolina 1 F

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Really? We need more vets ? so Chara,Bergy,Backes, Marchand,Krecji, Rask, Nash, Shaller Miller and McQuaid isn't enough? If anything we have to many. The game has changed, it's a young man's game now.
Yes really.
1. injuries
2. If one of the young guys under preform in the playoffs (not uncommon), having a back up is great.

So if this team is rolling come deadline day, you would be against getting a couple of vets at the deadline for the playoffs?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yes really.
1. injuries
2. If one of the young guys under preform in the playoffs (not uncommon), having a back up is great.

So if this team is rolling come deadline day, you would be against getting a couple of vets at the deadline for the playoffs?
Vets for what? The speed of the game doesn't slow down. There is plenty of vets on this team. They aren't getting a first or second liner. They have plenty of bottom six players.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'll be the first to admit that 2 months ago I thought the Bruins season was in tatters and I didn't think it was all injury related.

I WAS WRONG

The turning point for this team happened on a bus between Anaheim and Los Angeles on November 15th. I've heard it was a very heated hour long trip and then Cassidy told the players to sleep in and cancelled the morning skate at Staples Center. The Bear came out of hibernation in LA and has been roaring since.

As we hit the midway point - for the first time in 4 years we are not worried about the B's making the playoffs.

We are living in a world where at the halfway point the 2 teams playing the best in the entire league are our Bruins and the Vegas Golden Knights. :help:

Expansion team 2nd overall halfway thru the season. Mind-boggling.

Bruins with 5 rookies and 2 other 21 year-olds, all playing significant roles, are first in least goals allowed.

Bruins do not have a scorer in the top 30, but do have 3 in the top 10 for plus/minus (Bergeron, Marchand, Chara)

As for the bus trip turnaround going to LA, Anton Khudobin stealing wins in the next 3 games may also be significant as a turning point.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
I'll be honest, watching this Bruins team right now is a heck of a lot of fun. And I know that this is an ever changing game. But at this point I would not touch a thing on this team.

We have a really good mix of everything and everyone has come together really well.

If anybody is complaining about anything right now you need to give your head a shake.

Let's keep it rolling boys!

Let's Go Bruuuuuuuins!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'll be honest, watching this Bruins team right now is a heck of a lot of fun. And I know that this is an ever changing game. But at this point I would not touch a thing on this team.

We have a really good mix of everything and everyone has come together really well.

If anybody is complaining about anything right now you need to give your head a shake.

Let's keep it rolling boys!

Let's Go Bruuuuuuuins!
I didn't mind watching when they were losing. At least they were trying and they were playing an entertaining system. Glad it's bringing the wins too.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
9 20 goals scorers would be some kind of a record, maybe?

If your a long time B's fan you know the answer to this question .

The 1977-78 Bruins set an NHL record by having 11 different skaters score 20 goals or more in a season.

I think Bobby Miller scored an empty netter, maybe the last game of the season to make 20. (If my memory is correct, which it probably isn't).

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Man that game was so much fun to watch.

I said like a week ago that the top line was due to bust out, I just wasn't expecting it to be all in one game.

Didn't really realize that Spooner didn't play towards the end of the game. Hopefully he's ok to go tonight.

Great coaching putting Anton in net. He had very little to do tonight, and we get a really well rested Rask for the Pens tonight.

Carolina's goalies are not very good.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Yes really.
1. injuries

Well if I was GM I wouldn't be shopping for any, I would however be listening to any offers, if something comes up that is a total steal , then maybe. But I don't see a spot on this roster for a vet . Where would you put him? Injuries happen but trying to guess the position your going to need seems like a low percentage move. Any trade I'm making is to load up on futures. The Bruins are in a position to run the same game the Hawks ran for years. Keep recycling for futures. Besides scouting at the NHL level is the one weak point with this management.

Reactions: missingchicklet

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
As for the bus trip turnaround going to LA, Anton Khudobin stealing wins in the next 3 games may also be significant as a turning point.

There isn't any question in my mind that Khudobin deserves a very large amount of credit for the Bs success this season. His hot streak was so important in keeping the Bs alive when things were not looking so great. Then when Krejci and Backes came back, combined with Rask getting hot, things went to a different level. Backes might not be putting up the numbers of the top line guys, but his presence alone has allowed Cassidy to slot in guys in more appropriate spots, not to mention Backes has been playing great. There is plenty of credit to go around (every player and the coaching staff are ALL contributing positively), but it seems like Khudobin's streak and Backes/Krejci returning set this perfect storm in motion.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

The 1977-78 Bruins set an NHL record by having 11 different skaters score 20 goals or more in a season.

I think Bobby Miller scored an empty netter, maybe the last game of the season to make 20. (If my memory is correct, which it probably isn't).

You're memory is fine.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

I think Don Marcotte was the last player to get to 20?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Three observations:
1. Is his left wrist taped?
2. He must have the skinniest legs in the NHL. :laugh:
3. Nice hat. (Bergy, not Cooks)

59a04594-6c83-44a3-b8c3-61042f556931.jpg

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'll be the first to admit that 2 months ago I thought the Bruins season was in tatters and I didn't think it was all injury related.

I WAS WRONG

The turning point for this team happened on a bus between Anaheim and Los Angeles on November 15th. I've heard it was a very heated hour long trip and then Cassidy told the players to sleep in and cancelled the morning skate at Staples Center. The Bear came out of hibernation in LA and has been roaring since.

As we hit the midway point - for the first time in 4 years we are not worried about the B's making the playoffs.

We are living in a world where at the halfway point the 2 teams playing the best in the entire league are our Bruins and the Vegas Golden Knights. :help:

If you told me at the beginning of the year that the Bruins would be about as good as the Knights I wouldn't have been shocked. Disappointed, but not shocked. Shocked that its a good thing for both teams.

Glad they actually play the games instead of go by the projected lineups in October.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Not to be a debbie downer, but is anyone worried about peaking too soon?

In 2012 we were blowing people out left and right and won 14 out of 15 at one point, then went and lost in the eastern conference quarters. The 2014 President's Trophy team won 12 in a row in March, were accused of peaking too soon, and crashed out in the second row.
On the other hand, in 2010 we lost 9 in a row in that January, yet upset Buffalo and were a Krejci injury away from the ECF and likely a finals appearance.

I guess there's a spotty-at-best correlation between in-season win streaks and ultimate playoff success, but I wish they'd look this good in April and May instead of December/January

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I wish they'd look this good in April and May instead of December/
I'm sure we'll have some bumps in the road the rest of the season, but this team seems to handle adversity better than the Bruins of recent years. I think they'll be ok. :)

Reactions: Trizz617

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Not to be a debbie downer, but is anyone worried about peaking too soon?

In 2012 we were blowing people out left and right and won 14 out of 15 at one point, then went and lost in the eastern conference quarters. The 2014 President's Trophy team won 12 in a row in March, were accused of peaking too soon, and crashed out in the second row.
On the other hand, in 2010 we lost 9 in a row in that January, yet upset Buffalo and were a Krejci injury away from the ECF and likely a finals appearance.

I guess there's a spotty-at-best correlation between in-season win streaks and ultimate playoff success, but I wish they'd look this good in April and May instead of December/January

What is the peak with this team, though? Is this even the peak? The first line can be more consistent scoring-wise from game to game. The young D are still a work in progress. McQuaid hasn't even factored into the equation during this win streak. Kids like DeBrusk and Heinen are still improving and may be quite a bit better by the end of the season. Krejci has had a rough year health-wise and has yet to catch fire. The Bs have a backup playing great hockey, which will afford them to rest Rask down the stretch more than usual. Then throw in kids like Bjork and a couple other guys in the system who may rise to the occasion if given an opportunity due to injury down the road. This team may very well yet to have peaked, as crazy as that may seem given how hot they have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad