GDT: Game 37: Montreal @ Dallas, Tues. Jan. 2nd, 8 p.m. | RDS, TSN2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Habs are the only team in the league incapable of playing a heavy game. Uncanny.
We have no answer for it and we haven't for a very long time. Why couldn't we go with Anderson, Monahan and Slafkovsky as a line for these types of opponents and move Ylonen up with Caufield and Suzuki? It is very easy for a forward to play on the off wing and it should be experimented with.

Ylonen can skate with Cole and Nick and on the other line, Slaf and Andy could do the heavy work on the boards allowing Monahan time and space in the middle. Your thoughts?

Reactions: Tyson

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Montreal is on a 3 game losing skid, and are 2-3-1 on this 6 game split road trip so far.

They haven't called anyone up to replace Dvorak, so expect 11F & 7D again.

They haven't announced the starting goalie yet.

Game is 8 p.m. est.
Dikembe is starting

Monty confirmed in net. No other line-up changes.

sorry should've read all pages before responding

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We have no answer for it and we haven't for a very long time. Why couldn't we go with Anderson, Monahan and Slafkovsky as a line for these types of opponents and move Ylonen up with Caufield and Suzuki? It is very easy for a forward to play on the off wing and it should be experimented with.

Ylonen can skate with Cole and Nick and on the other line, Slaf and Andy could do the heavy work on the boards allowing Monahan time and space in the middle. Your thoughts?
I think slowly but surely Hughes is addressing this. You have big players like Armia who are too soft, you have small players like Gallagher who does everything he can to play big. I have said it before...this team is a hodge podge of misfits...nothing seems to fit.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I think slowly but surely Hughes is addressing this. You have big players like Armia who are too soft, you have small players like Gallagher who does everything he can to play big. I have said it before...this team is a hodge podge of misfits...nothing seems to fit.
habs were always thin in their top 6 - and as soon as they lost Dach they lost a lot of goals and creativity on the power play.
Hopefully Slafkovsky, suzuki and CC becomes legit in the next few years, but they need to add 2 wingers to Dach...trade, draft, ufa, whatever.
Imo, newhook and Anderson are good 3rd liners ...
and then habs need a legit 4th line that can soften up teams...
Vegas' 4th line is great with Carrier and Kolesar and howden? all 6'2, physical and can skate

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
habs were always thin in their top 6 - and as soon as they lost Dach they lost a lot of goals and creativity on the power play.
Hopefully Slafkovsky, suzuki and CC becomes legit in the next few years, but they need to add 2 wingers to Dach...trade, draft, ufa, whatever.
Vegas' 4th line is great with Carrier and Kolesar and howden? all 6'2, physical and can skate
I’m biased a 4th line should have a crazy scary fighter, a face-off champ and a puck possession guy with wheels, all three with a mean edge, a safe predictable game.. Trap the opponent for a 1st line change, D zone face-offs to rest the scorers and their centers, kill the last minute with a small lead and pacify over-zealous doobs… I don’t see that in Evans Stevens Pezz, Ylonen, etc

Reactions: The Real Timo

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I’m biased a 4th line should have a crazy scary fighter, a face-off champ and a puck possession guy with wheels, all three with a mean edge, a safe predictable game.. Trap the opponent for a 1st line change, D zone face-offs to rest the scorers and their centers, kill the last minute with a small lead and pacify over-zealous doobs… I don’t see that in Evans Stevens Pezz, Ylonen, etc
Ylonen was never suppose to be a 4th liner. That's on the coach. He is too good for that role.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
agree 100%

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Maybe down the road the younger Xhekaj will fill that role

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Vegas 4th line can skate and hit but have very little other ability. F Xhekaj should be at least as good as any of them. I agree they need at least 2 forwards who can work over the other team.

Reactions: HuGo Sham and Tyson

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Weird that Monty is playing after a crap last game and our constant usual rotation.
Maybe there's a trade coming and they wanna protect em.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Weird that Monty is playing after a crap last game and our constant usual rotation.
Maybe there's a trade coming and they wanna protect em.

I don't think there's a trade anywhere near completion for Hughes right now. Maybe closer to the deadline we'll see Allen traded, and more, but for now I think we're still in the "wait and see" moment of the season when it comes to trade offers.

As for the reason why Monty got the start again, well, I think he might have personally asked to also play this game to redeem himself after he had one of his worst starts of the season against Tampa. And the coaching staff probably obliged that request.

At least, that's the most logical reason for Montembeault's start in my eyes.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Blacked out where I live. I am 200 miles away and it's blacked out.
NHL coverage makes so much f***ing sense. Ridiculous.

I don't think there's a trade anywhere near completion for Hughes right now. Maybe closer to the deadline we'll see Allen traded, and more, but for now I think we're still in the "wait and see" moment of the season when it comes to trade offers.

As for the reason why Monty got the start again, well, I think he might have personally asked to also play this game to redeem himself after he had one of his worst starts of the season against Tampa. And the coaching staff probably obliged that request.

At least, that's the most logical reason for Montembeault's start in my eyes.
I predict Habs will continue to have these 3 goalies after the TDL. I have zero confidence in Hughes at this point.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What a year for Duchene so far. Very odd move to buy him out by the Preds.

Another reminder that productivity is heavily dependent on context...

Duchene as the top paid, go-to, forward on a team with minimal top 6 talent is not the same as being the 4th-5th best forward on a contending roster... Different expectations. Different pressure. Different support.

Good on him for choosing to go somewhere on the cheap to have a better opportunity far from the spotlight... Will be interesting to see if any GM takes the risk of paying him like a top line player next year.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Attachments

• tenor (1).gif
    tenor (1).gif
    299 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: The Real Timo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad