Post-Game Talk: Game #3 Pens vs Leafs

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Before that, he was playing with Connor McDavid and barely cracked a 40 point pace.

I like Puljujarvi but saying he's the "most talented wing" on this team is just insanely dumb. His best season ever is 36 points in 65 games where he was playing with McDavid and got notable PP production. If that is the "most talented wing" on your team, your team sucks dong.
Well, we agree on your last sentence. :thumbu::wave:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bunting's dodged valid criticism that should be lobbed his way through three games imo. Dude's been pretty dogshit.

It's weird that they refuse to use him as a net front guy on the PP when I feel like that's pretty much his only value as a player tbh. :laugh:

Penguins fans when Malkin's line sucks at 5v5 for like the 5th year in a row:

Ideas_Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

Although to be completely fair, it was very good last year. Beyond that, though? Yeah, not great chief.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
3 games in you kinda have the blueprint for this season
Against elite teams - no chance
Teams lacking in defensive structure and goaltending - we might be able to score a little and win
Playoff teams - we might be able to battle, but will make more mistakes than them and lose more often than we win
That's been the blueprint for 6 seasons.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
We don’t even have a coach.

All we have is a balding Bostonian dildo in a suit
I find it funny that with that bell end behind the bench and the hope blokes here had in Quinn with the PPG by Letang, it quickly dissipated when they were back to their usual shit because this team needed to put certain players on the PP Unit that the bell end wanted Quinn to somehow make work.

It's quite typical of a coach that boasts accountability and earning it but then gifts the core or vets whatever they want when they're in the inner circle.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
3 games in you kinda have the blueprint for this season
Against elite teams - no chance
Teams lacking in defensive structure and goaltending - we might be able to score a little and win
Playoff teams - we might be able to battle, but will make more mistakes than them and lose more often than we win
Yeah basically lack of speed and finishers leaves the Pens with no margin for error every night…given the D makes error regularly and Blom was off his angle on the third goal, no chance to make up 2 goals against most teams…since half the teams at least don’t have shitty D or mediocre goaltending or can’t score, I’d be surprised if the Pens can win more than half of their games…

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
This looks exactly like a team that struggled to score last season and lost their best winger by a big margin
I always found this to be funny, not that you said it, but the thinking of this. The Penguins were largely out of the playoffs with Jake Guentzel last season and the year before, they had a bloated run at the end of the season mostly because they basically gave up playing defense altogether and just scored at some insane rate which falsely gave blokes here hope in something (whilst ignoring much of the previous years I guess).

This is one of the biggest issues with a coach that is with a team too long that doesn't really care to think outside of the box, he panders to the core and the veterans he trusts the most vs what he needs to do, to make things better. He will begrudgingly try things when the game is out of reach to be able to tell reporters after the game that he "tried something" albeit, when the game was already out of reach.

It's worse knowing Dubas is likely watching this thinking yeah they'll figure it out. Although @Zirakzigil did say Dubas was wanting to replace Sullivan so I hope this is just letting Kindergarten Kyle build his case to FSG.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I always found this to be funny, not that you said it, but the thinking of this. The Penguins were largely out of the playoffs with Jake Guentzel last season and the year before, they had a bloated run at the end of the season mostly because they basically gave up playing defense altogether and just scored at some insane rate which falsely gave blokes here hope in something (whilst ignoring much of the previous years I guess).

This is one of the biggest issues with a coach that is with a team too long that doesn't really care to think outside of the box, he panders to the core and the veterans he trusts the most vs what he needs to do, to make things better. He will begrudgingly try things when the game is out of reach to be able to tell reporters after the game that he "tried something" albeit, when the game was already out of reach.

It's worse knowing Dubas is likely watching this thinking yeah they'll figure it out. Although @Zirakzigil did say Dubas was wanting to replace Sullivan so I hope this is just letting Kindergarten Kyle build his case to FSG.
Dubas did say he intends to be more proactive early in the season than he was last year. So lets see I guess. For like 4 years though I've felt the team on paper is alot better than their results indicate. Put a donkey as the head coach and they look a alot better

Reactions: akapidots

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd like to think that if the Pens miss the playoffs for the third straight year, the big GM/ownership/coach meeting would result in at least a mutual parting of ways between the team and Sullivan. But I dunno, this team loves to be absolutely insane and dysfunctional, so I could see them doing some dumb shit and hanging on to Sullivan cuz he's slated to be HC of Team USA at the Olympics.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dubas did say he intends to be more proactive early in the season than he was last year. So lets see I guess. For like 4 years though I've felt the team on paper is alot better than their results indicate. Put a donkey as the head coach and they look a alot better
This coach needs to be fired yesterday, and this team's had like half a dozen guys on their roster at any given moment that you could fire into the sun without any negative on-ice repercussions for like half a decade. :laugh:

canadianguy77

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2006
Wasn’t a bad game considering who they were playing. They hung with them most of the game. I have yet to see any chemistry from Beauvillier on L1. I don’t know why he’s been gifted that spot. Sure he gets some shots on net, but anybody would.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
More than 4yrs really if we want to be honest, but lets just go with your 4yrs, they should have had a shorter leash with this coach after the first year they missed the playoffs under Sullivan really, to finally be hopefully at point does give me hope. But yeah I wonder how proactive he plans to be this early, because for one, I think moving Pettersson should be at the top of his list, I'd even see who is on Rust's list and move him if they're sub .500 at the end of October. Just start hoarding picks and cap space and then near the TDL if they're still trending in the same bottom 5 of the East, use that cap for the 1 retention slot they can maximize the return with and then take on a camp dump or two for picks/prospects.

The bigger hope is they fire Sullivan in November or the latest, early December.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Wasn’t a bad game considering who they were playing. They hung with them most of the game. I have yet to see any chemistry from Beauvillier on L1. I don’t know why he’s been gifted that spot. Sure he gets some shots on net, but anybody would.
Beauvillier, Crosby, Rakell - they were great vs Detroit.

Rust on that line isn't a good fit.

Geno wanting to say more than he can there and even then, that's more than enough to see he's frustrated with the same shit this team keeps doing with how they play.

Also if you lot are going to keep saying Rust was "rusty" then seeing Rust play the 2nd most of any forwards should piss you off. Bench management is important and something this coach has very little understanding of for a very long time.

Reactions: akapidots

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Beauvillier, Crosby, Rakell - they were great vs Detroit.

Rust on that line isn't a good fit.

Geno wanting to say more than he can there and even then, that's more than enough to see he's frustrated with the same shit this team keeps doing with how they play.

Also if you lot are going to keep saying Rust was "rusty" then seeing Rust play the 2nd most of any forwards should piss you off. Bench management is important and something this coach has very little understanding of for a very long time.
I feel like the last few years the team could have been wearing t-shirts under their jerseys emblazoned with “just play smarter” on them…lol…I dunno, the fact that they can’t is one big reason I don’t understand why the coach hasn’t been fired yet

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I really don't see this month ending well for the Pens. They've got that Western Canada trip they always get killed on. They've got Montreal who for a bad team always gives them fits. They've got Carolina.

If the Pens came out of this month 500 or just above/below I'd probably be happy with that lol.

You are doing this wrong. We should either be competitive or shite enough that (long long long!) overdue changes are made.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I feel like the last few years the team could have been wearing t-shirts under their jerseys emblazoned with “just play smarter” on them…lol…I dunno, the fact that they can’t is one big reason I don’t understand why the coach hasn’t been fired yet
To have the turnover on the roster that they've had and to keep seeing the same lapses by this team is like text book coaching problem to every single team but this one.

And then blokes wonder why anyone is mad about Sully.

You are doing this wrong. We should either be competitive or shite enough that (long long long!) overdue changes are made.
Yeah and its funny for blokes to claim we're not fans for hoping for this because being ok with seeing them win that keeps this coach longer to see the same result at the end of the season. This is somehow being a bigger fan than hoping they lose enough to get this coach fired to see positive changes with a different coach. Or at the least, have an interim coach that still gives them a shot at hiring a better fit of a coach in the offseason isn't being a big enough fan somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad