GDT: Jackets @ Avs | First Emergency GDT Thread | 7pm MT (RIP Johnny Hockey)

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
If you truly believe this prepare yourself to be mad every time that he's in the net because he's never going back to the goalie that he was 2 years ago regardless of what the coach says or how bad you want him to stop pucks.
Then trade him or waive him.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Avs and Oilers in the same spot right now. Only fans who think both teams are screwed and heading for the draft lottery are their own fans.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jack Campbell went through the same thing last season. He broke. It cost Woodcroft his job. The Avs are a similar path her only Jared wont lose his job for this but 5giev needs to be sent to Loveland.
Unlike the Oilers the Avs have no plan B though.

When Francouz retired last year management decided to put all their eggs in the Georgiev basket. Like literally all the eggs, they didn't even bother to give him a backup.

Management was like "he's gonna start the most games in the league and we're riding him into the ground regardless of if he can do it or not."

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Unlike the Oilers the Avs have no plan B though.

When Francouz retired last year management decided to put all their eggs in the Georgiev basket. Like literally all the eggs, they didn't even bother to give him a backup.

Management was like "he's gonna start the most games in the league and we're riding him into the ground regardless of if he can do it or not."
Oh yah. CMac deserves alot of blame for this goalie situation. Jared can only play who hes given so I dont lay the fault with him for these 2 games. This is on CMac, 5giev and Justus to an extent.

Reactions: Balthazar

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So I was at the game, and I didn't have my phone out to post about it at the time, but I was on the attack twice end, so I saw Georgiev coming out to start the second period. His body language was really noticable, he looked so defeated and dejected before the puck even dropped. Even just doing the routine goalie stuff like scuffing up the ice and clearing out the snow was so halfhearted. He looked like a man who hated his job and was wishing he had called out sick that morning, even from the 300 level.

The Avs have got to bench him until he gets his head on straight. Normally, I'm an advocate for letting a goalie play through a rough patch and hope they have a confidence-boosting game that gets them back on track, but he is so mentally shattered that playing him is going to just make it worse. It probably doesn't help that he has to go into that locker room with MacKinnon, who smashed a stick on the bench after the third and sixth goals. Get him off the ice, away from the team, and into a relaxation spa in Cabo San Lucas ASAP.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Can someone tell me what Girard does for the Avs that he’s untouchable and we should keep him for the duration of his contract? I mean he’s a good player but I don’t think he has a king of impact for the Avs as many think. I’d say trade him for a goalie and put Kylington in the line up

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Can someone tell me what Girard does for the Avs that he’s untouchable and we should keep him for the duration of his contract? I mean he’s a good player but I don’t think he has a king of impact for the Avs as many think. I’d say trade him for a goalie and put Kylington in the line up
You were fine until the last sentence.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
For

What

Goalie

I think we all want a solution, but give us some names. The market is nonexistent.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Jack Campbell went through the same thing last season. He broke. It cost Woodcroft his job. The Avs are a similar path her only Jared wont lose his job for this but 5giev needs to be sent to Loveland.
I mean at certain point it will cost jobs if Bednar refuses to get rid of the problem.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I've been saying this for 3 years. G needs to go. It's not worth it.

Reactions: the_fan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So I was at the game, and I didn't have my phone out to post about it at the time, but I was on the attack twice end, so I saw Georgiev coming out to start the second period. His body language was really noticable, he looked so defeated and dejected before the puck even dropped. Even just doing the routine goalie stuff like scuffing up the ice and clearing out the snow was so halfhearted. He looked like a man who hated his job and was wishing he had called out sick that morning, even from the 300 level.

The Avs have got to bench him until he gets his head on straight. Normally, I'm an advocate for letting a goalie play through a rough patch and hope they have a confidence-boosting game that gets them back on track, but he is so mentally shattered that playing him is going to just make it worse. It probably doesn't help that he has to go into that locker room with MacKinnon, who smashed a stick on the bench after the third and sixth goals. Get him off the ice, away from the team, and into a relaxation spa in Cabo San Lucas ASAP.
Here's my issue with all of this:

The guy had 4 months off. You're telling me he wasn't able to relax and clear his head? If we are only 2 games in and he needs a mental reset, he isn't capable of ever being an NHL starter good enough to win with.

Cut bait asap. Run Kahkonen/Annunen until you find a different goalie to split games with Kahkonen. But this cannot continue.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He hasn’t even played a single game yet(regular season) I’m not counting preseason
He’s never shown to be remotely capable away from Tanev… who can make a lot of guys capable. Moving G, no big deal… doesn’t have the value you think, but trading G isn’t something that should matter much. Kylington (and nobody behind G) really has the capability to play a bigger minute role.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He’s never shown to be remotely capable away from Tanev… who can make a lot of guys capable. Moving G, no big deal… doesn’t have the value you think, but trading G isn’t something that should matter much. Kylington (and nobody behind G) really has the capability to play a bigger minute role.
Something needs to be done unless the Avs don’t care if they miss the playoffs. By the time we get injured players back, it might be too late. We could be too far behind to catch up. And how can we catch anyone with the type of goaltending we’re getting?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'll be honest I haven't watched a second of either of the first two games so far, so not sure I really should even say anything, but damn - not a great start to the season. And the Rantanen situation is feeling bleak to say the least. Feels like a lose lose situation.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Something needs to be done unless the Avs don’t care if they miss the playoffs. By the time we get injured players back, it might be too late. We could be too far behind to catch up. And how can we catch anyone with the type of goaltending we’re getting?
Goaltending doesn’t stay this bad forever, even with trash goalies.

On top of that, no teams are trading capable starters this early in the season. You get 3s who they’re afraid to waive. That’s really it. Time has to play out before those names come available.

Edmonton showed last year that there is plenty of time. Blues too.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Goaltending doesn’t stay this bad forever, even with trash goalies.

On top of that, no teams are trading capable starters this early in the season. You get 3s who they’re afraid to waive. That’s really it. Time has to play out before those names come available.

Edmonton showed last year that there is plenty of time. Blues too.
I guess if Georgiev can get his shit together, we’ll be fine. But will he?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I guess if Georgiev can get his shit together, we’ll be fine. But will he?
I don’t think he will. I said it in preseason when he shit the bed, he just looked broken. He’ll probably have good games and won’t be a complete disaster, but he can’t be counted on. Avs can win enough games with .890 goaltending and if they get .900 they’ll be plenty fine for now.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don’t think he will. I said it in preseason when he shit the bed, he just looked broken. He’ll probably have good games and won’t be a complete disaster, but he can’t be counted on. Avs can win enough games with .890 goaltending and if they get .900 they’ll be plenty fine for now.
I mean if we fall too far back until we get guys back, we will need to get better than average goaltending to catch up, just like you mentioned, Oilers and Blues did. They started getting good goaltending from Skinner and Binnington

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean if we fall too far back until we get guys back, we will need to get better than average goaltending to catch up, just like you mentioned, Oilers and Blues did. They started getting good goaltending from Skinner and Binnington
I’d argue their defensive play was good prior (similar to the Avs) and guys just played solid in net. I don’t think the Avs can legitimately contend with any of these guys in net, but enough to hold on until somebody springs free. Not at all worried about getting to the playoffs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
so I saw Georgiev coming out to start the second period. His body language was really noticable, he looked so defeated and dejected before the puck even dropped. Even just doing the routine goalie stuff like scuffing up the ice and clearing out the snow was so halfhearted. He looked like a man who hated his job and was wishing he had called out sick that morning, even from the 300 level.
Dude needs help

AJ said this:
2KEQIaG.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad