GDT: Game #3; Ottawa Senators @ Toronto Maple Leafs | Battle of Ontario - In Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We should see a bounce back game from the boys today after a lackluster performance yesterday.

Babcock will try and light a fire under this.

Go Leafs Go !!

You mean he'll burn the boats, before they disembark?

Maybe if he puts the match under Bernier's butt he'll be awake when the game starts. Need someone eager to open and close the gate.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The lineup looks better tonight.

I'd still switch Bozak and Holland though. Holland has been way better than Bozak, even though he hasn't been able to finish.

Correct, Holland has generated a good number of opportunities with 3/4th line minutes.

At least Grabner and Polak are back in the lineup. Arcobello has struggled and Marincin was the worst defenseman we put out there along with Harrington. Once Corrado is up to speed, I expect him to replace Harrington on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

I know Babcock said he's not going to rotate, but I have a feeling it'll be a back and forth battle between Corrado and Marincin to get ice time throughout the season. One could be traded by the end of the season.

Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true. I think Harrington has been one of our best D so far. The Marincin part I would agree with, he gives up way too much ice, especially for his size.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Will we win? Yes, I think we will. There have been some positive things done and it's time for a reward for that.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
You mean he'll burn the boats, before they disembark?

Maybe if he puts the match under Bernier's butt he'll be awake when the game starts. Need someone eager to open and close the gate.

"Burn the Boats" before they disembark...LOL

That hit me as too funny, still laughing.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Looking at our lineup is saddening. For how many times we have missed the playoffs we should be in a much better position than we are now. We still have lots of bad contracts on the books and not enough good young players playing right now. Bad spot all around.
For tonight I hope we get back to playing a strong possession game like we did on Wednesday. If you are going to lose at least make the other team work for it.

Take solace in the fact that most of the roster will be overhauled within 2 years, and look at the up and coming talent in the system.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Statistically speaking we could be .500 with approx 2.50 goals against ( 200 goals )

Goals
Kadri line 60
Bozak line 50
Holland line 40
Spaling line 20

Blueline 30
Total 200

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Statistically speaking we could be .500 with approx 2.50 goals against ( 200 goals )

Goals
Kadri line 60
Bozak line 50
Holland line 40
Spaling line 20

Blueline 30
Total 200

Thats on the high side forecasting. Great if it happens though.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
just had a little giggle

"Its the Battle of Ontario, in Ontario - Dion Phaneuf

where else would the battle of Ontario be? in Ohio? Omaha?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
CQ9SwD_WcAANkkS.jpg

(Not my best work on the text, but meh)

Thanks for the GDT, Cor... and I think that you're wrong.. Looks pretty darn good to me, my friend..! :handclap: (and thanks for the kudos, but I don't want to get in trouble.. :darth::help: :)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Well, at least Arcobello and Marincin are out...

The lineup looks better tonight.

I'd still switch Bozak and Holland though. Holland has been way better than Bozak, even though he hasn't been able to finish.

We should see a bounce back game from the boys today after a lackluster performance yesterday.

Babcock will try and light a fire under this.

Go Leafs Go !!

why no Corrado?

just had a little giggle

"Its the Battle of Ontario, in Ontario - Dion Phaneuf

where else would the battle of Ontario be? in Ohio? Omaha?

Did he really say this?

God, what a maroon. He is by far the least likable captain in NHL, almost sports history.

I would like to see some more changes.. and it really wouldn't surprise me at all, if Babs keeps one or two up his sleeve, until game time.. (like maybe we will get to see Corrado tonight after all.., Guys (and Gals).. :)

If Phaneuf is a "Maroon"... Maroon5 might not like this reference..? :laugh:

I really like what I have seen from Corrado.. Check him out..

Great slap and point shots..!

New Corrado Vid. out today --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3K2RGEVIWA

Last edited:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Hey, Everyone..! Marlies game starting right now, on Rogers 10 Toronto..

Panik and Nylander were cruisin' last night..! Froese, too..! They play at 3PM today and tomorrow, same channel.. (most likely on ahl.com, too..)

Last night's Marlies game highlights --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Vx87owGO4

Whoops! wrong one.. Didn't mean to post this "Marlies game link for today's game"..
I mean't this one... ;) :innocent:

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7LFpEHCYs

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Goals
Kadri line 60
Bozak line 50
Holland line 40
Spaling line 20

Blueline 30
Total 200

200 goals would be quite low. This same group last year put up 207, and that includes many injuries.

That being said, we'll still probably get a fair share of points that'll help move our guys out at the TDL, so that's good.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
When you are in the first game of a back to back it's very intelligent to pull your goalie, especially when you play the goalie who played most minutes in the second game too. In 2013 Quick, Lundqvist and Pavelec started the season with both games back to back and all 3 got injured. Besides that Reimer is a backup, if he were good at playing games with less rest he would be a starter.
Reimer is misused by Babcock.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Just saying lol
The key is the goals against
It might take 20 games for them to figure it out

This is basically the point, we have only played 2 games and we are already ripping players and coaches, lets see where we stand, with a third of the season in the books.

We have been told repeatedly there will be a lot of pain this season and we are now experiencing it, I for one see a hard work ethic and down the road when we start to put it al together, we may turn things around, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
200 goals would be quite low. This same group last year put up 207, and that includes many injuries.

That being said, we'll still probably get a fair share of points that'll help move our guys out at the TDL, so that's good.

Well, if you believe that a player like Bozak still scores 20+ without Kessel, good for you!

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Can we just automatically simulate the season, draft Matthews/Chychrun, and play the 2016-17 season instead?

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Only 6 teams gave up around 200 goals or less last season

Nyr 252-192
Mtl 221-189
Was 242-203
Chi 229-189
Min 231-201
LA. 220-205

LA had only 3 guys who scored over 20g

Carter 28
Gaborik 27
Toffoli 23

Last edited:

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Who reported these lines? Are you guessing? Haven't seen any projected lineups.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Game Journal: Game 3 - Senators vs. Maple Leafs

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=782670#230

By Chris Lund
Print

3:15 PM: Leafs TV also caught up with James Reimer and Dion Phaneuf ahead of tonight's game. Take a look...

3:00 PM: Leafs centre Tyler Bozak offered his thoughts ahead of tonight's matchup with the Senators.
Leafs TV

Is it good to get back at it after a tough loss?
Yeah, for sure, it's nice to have a back-to-back when you don't play so well the night before. We're excited to go again tonight and hopefully we can be better and keep learning and keep getting better and come out with a win tonight.

Is improving the finish on offence a matter of slowing things down?
Yeah, I think we've been getting a few chances but we haven't been getting enough grade-A chances. I feel we gave up quite a bit last night. We've got to work harder getting to the net and getting traffic, getting rebounds and scoring some uglier goals than nice passing plays. We need to start there and go from there.

What has coach said to keep the mentality up?
It's two games into the year so you can't get down on yourself yet, we've got a lot of hockey left and we've just got to keep learning and things will come from there.

Is it tough to learn when you're going down so early and chasing the game?
Yeah, obviously you want to get the lead at any time in the game, especially early in the period. We've got to do a better job and get better starts. There's probably stats that show when you get scored on first there's a way greater chance of losing the game. We want to be the team that gets the first goal but if we don't we can't get down on ourselves and crumble, we've got to come back and play hard and try to get the next one.

Does the Toronto/Ottawa rivalry get you pumped up?
Yeah, it's fun. It's great playing these guys, they're a great hockey team, they've got a lot of speed and a lot of good players. We've got to be on our game tonight and compete and hopefully we come out with a good outcome.

Is there some patience required as far as producing chemistry with new linemates?
Yeah, it doesn't come easy. We've got a lot of new faces, a lot of new guys. I think we're trying to find the right groups and the right guys that have that chemistry together. That's going to take some time too. Hopefully we can find quicker than later but I'm sure we'll go through quite a few trios to find out what works best.

What are some positives you've seen?
I think we're getting better, we're learning the system better every day. We do a lot of good things in the games but it's just those key areas where we make a mistake and get scored on. We've just got to keep learning, keep getting better every day and it'll come.

2:30 PM: Leafs head coach Mike Babcock spoke to the media on Saturday morning. Here's what he had to say...

Leafs TV

On Friday's game:
The bottom line is last night didn't go the way we wanted. We played a low event game, which is how I think we have to play, we can't give up a ton of scoring chances but the ones we did give up, they scored on. I looked up, there was 8:25 left in the second and we were down 4-0 and the shots were 11-11. You're saying to yourself, now what am I going to do? I put Reims in to give him a chance to get ready for tonight, we need a big night out of Reims and then we need to play a good game. I think when we play with structure and play five together, we don't look bad. When we don't we don't look very good and it's not much fun to watch when we don't play together and play well. The biggest thing I'm finding is when something goes wrong we dip and there's no reason to. If you do that every day life wouldn't be very good. Live in the moment, bear down and work hard on your next shift. That's it. Real simple.

How do you coach against those dips?
You talk about it. Just like I'm talking to you about it, it's the same thing. I'm not a big guy on putting my head in the sand. When something is going on I like talking about it. Just because to me I want to know where I stand so we talk about it and we prepare for tonight. Feeling sorry for yourself or getting down, that to me is a waste of energy. That could've been for a few minutes after the game but let's get regrouped and let's get on. It's Saturday night, we're playing right here in our town, let's play well.

Will there be other changes from yesterday's lineup?
Yeah, injury based there might be. I'm going to bring in Polak and I'm going to bring in Grabs but I don't know for sure because I'm waiting to find out on guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad