Post-Game Talk: Game #3: Dallas Stars 2-1 @ Nashville Preds 1-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Jessie's Girl. House band staple since 1981.

Uggggh.....My ears. You know a guy can't sing when he just talks/sings through at least half of it.

But it's great to not have to listen to Small Time Rock Stars yet again.

I hope they can get School of Rock and L'Angelus there again soon.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Couple of thoughts from last night from my view in 316.

Thought Forsberg, Fisher and Weber had pretty good games. Thought Wilson also had some great moments setting up other people.

Pekka was outstanding in the first period. Kept us in the game and gave us some life in the second. Having said that, every time Pekka leaves the crease a full on disaster is just waiting to happen. He lost his stick at least three times last night. He was out of position at least half a dozen. He scares me. Even when he plays well.

Josi had the weakest game I have seen from him in a long time. Needs to be better.

I do not like the Josi Subban pairing. Thought they got trapped too often last night. They weren't Carle and Weber bad in their own zone, but it was close.

I am worried about us being able to keep guys out of Pekka's grill. Three games in and it is obvious we miss Shea.

Anytime 63 touched the puck the offense died. Honestly, I would waive him and try s free agent or Gaudreau at this point. Has been visible for all the wrong reasons so far this season. Three horric turn overs last night that really sealed the deal at the end of the game.

Energy in the arena was off last night. Felt dull from the start.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I was pretty frustrated by that last night. If that's all we're going to do with the power play, we might as well have kept Weber. We're supposed to have lots more creativity now. Haven't seen it yet.

Really? You really think the power play has not shown creativity?

Man, this is some tough crowd to please. Maybe I am crazy but the power play has been absolutely fantastic. Even on the few times when we haven't scored we have looked plenty dangerous...

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
PK isn't OvI or Weber in the half boards.

I think after the second one timer, maybe fake it and set up someone else. Seabrook had a nice no look slap pass last night in the game against philly. It would be nice to get some creativity.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i know it's only been 3 games... but you guys do realize we are at 45.5% on the PP so far right? which happens to lead the league in both percentage and PP goals scored... there's been several worrisome issues, but to me the PP is absolutely last on the list to worry over so far.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
i know it's only been 3 games... but you guys do realize we are at 45.5% on the PP so far right? which happens to lead the league in both percentage and PP goals scored... there's been several worrisome issues, but to me the PP is absolutely last on the list to worry over so far.

True but Chicago's PP is horrendous.

Last year and maybe the year before the PP was always a concern.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
True but Chicago's PP is horrendous.

Well the scheme is also new this year isn't it? Aren't we rolling four forwards and either Subban or Josi at the point now? I do think I saw Ellis out there at some point with one of the two, but still.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Two years ago? Sure, the PP was awful. Last year it was top 10 and pretty comfortably so. I don't know where this PP was awful last year is coming from, if it's like PTSD from the year before or something but it's just not true that it was any kind of disaster. It was good.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Two years ago? Sure, the PP was awful. Last year it was top 10 and pretty comfortably so. I don't know where this PP was awful last year is coming from, if it's like PTSD from the year before or something but it's just not true that it was any kind of disaster. It was good.
The playoffs when it matters...

Top ten regular season. What did they do in the playoffs?

http://predlines.com/2016/05/25/nashville-predators-what-happened-to-the-playoff-power-play/

8%

Terrible. Same coach they've had the past couple of years.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The playoffs when it matters...

Top ten regular season. What did they do in the playoffs?

http://predlines.com/2016/05/25/nashville-predators-what-happened-to-the-playoff-power-play/

8%

Terrible. Same coach they've had the past couple of years.

That is not what you said. You said "last year" the PP was a concern. Not "last year in the playoffs" the PP was a concern.

Had you specified playoffs, no one would have argued.

But the point remains, our PP last year (despite many complaining about it) was just fine during the season.....

And one last point- you say the playoffs is "when it matters". Does that mean it doesn't matter in the regular season? Of course it matters- cause if you don't have a good PP in the season there won't be a playoffs to worry about......

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
That is not what you said. You said "last year" the PP was a concern. Not "last year in the playoffs" the PP was a concern.

But the point remains, our PP last year (despite many complaining about it) was just fine during the season.....

And one last point- you say the playoffs is "when it matters". Does that mean it doesn't matter in the regular season? Of course it matters- cause if you don't have a good PP in the season there won't be a playoffs to worry about......
Post season counts as last season....

Like the article said. It's easy to pad stats during the regular season like the preds have done already against a bad Chicago PK.

Just face it, it was bad when it mattered (playoffs) Like, no ones going to care about how good the preds PP is, if that is what keeps them from advancing further in the playoffs.

To my original point. PK trying to be Ovi in the half boards doesn't appear to be working.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013

Would it make you feel better if I say the preds ranked 14/16 in the playoffs last season and were Terrible the year before?

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggre...20152016&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPctg

And the preds made it to a game 7 second round with a terrible PP so if they had a decent PP they probably would've made it further but they were 10th in the regular season so we have that.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Well the scheme is also new this year isn't it? Aren't we rolling four forwards and either Subban or Josi at the point now? I do think I saw Ellis out there at some point with one of the two, but still.

Yes and no. Josi's group has 4 forwards, but PK has Ekholm out with him.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Really? You really think the power play has not shown creativity?

Man, this is some tough crowd to please. Maybe I am crazy but the power play has been absolutely fantastic. Even on the few times when we haven't scored we have looked plenty dangerous...

Overall I've been happy with it, but during the Dallas game when the only plan was "feed to Subban over and over," yeah, I wasn't happy with that. They knew it was coming every time.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
you take what the pk gives you.

if they back off the points, you feed the points and try to get a shot thru traffic. if they play tight point high you try to feed the middle and work in behind their pk forwards. we've been doing a good job of that so far, which is why we have two PP goals from the point (josi,subban) and a deflection goal from the point (fisher from josi's point shot) and two goals from midrange (smith, fisher) when they concentrate on covering the defensemen on the point.

so far, I don't know how anyone can be even slightly critical of our pp. we've had 11 total (one only being for about 15 seconds), and scored 5 goals, all 5 inside the first minute of the pp. and had scoring chances on all 5 of the other full PP's we've had.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
you take what the pk gives you.

if they back off the points, you feed the points and try to get a shot thru traffic. if they play tight point high you try to feed the middle and work in behind their pk forwards. we've been doing a good job of that so far, which is why we have two PP goals from the point (josi,subban) and a deflection goal from the point (fisher from josi's point shot) and two goals from midrange (smith, fisher) when they concentrate on covering the defensemen on the point.

so far, I don't know how anyone can be even slightly critical of our pp. we've had 11 total (one only being for about 15 seconds), and scored 5 goals, all 5 inside the first minute of the pp. and had scoring chances on all 5 of the other full PP's we've had.

I'm not critical of it but they can't keep this percentage up, and it showed in the Dallas game that they lack creativity like they did in the playoffs last season.

Going 1 for 4 averaging it out over the season is the best any team can hope for.

But come playoff time your going against 4 teams max and quality of play is better. You can't just rely on a shot from your big gun. Be Weber or ovi. It's not going to produce results when it matters.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I love it when the team play shuts certain posters the hell up...but they make hay early in the year until banging the drum of 'yeah but they can't keep that up' stops making sense even to their own brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad