GDT: Game 22: Columbus at Calgary | 11/20 10PM EST

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I missed it where someone said this, but I agree that it might not be a bad idea.

I shut up earlier this season when folks were giving Nick a tough time for having no finish and making clever passes to no one after a nifty dangle. But he's been my favorite of the new Jackets since the trade, and while he might not be serious or intense enough for some people to be captain, he brings a joy and an energy that any team needs (that goes beyond the goofiness of a Chimera, who I also lauded for his personality/role while he was here).

The hell. I would too. He's trying too hard or something. (I know some folks will just say "Real JJ" and that's possible, but I believe he can up his play to match that of last year - something he's not doing right now.)

Claude Noel just smiled a big smile!

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Honestly, this isn't a very good Calgary team. Better effort, glad for the win, but this isn't close to a playoff team performance.

You know, it's one thing to have an off night. It's another to score two goals total in two games against two of the worst defensive teams in the league. Our 5 on 5 is just bad. Sure we'll get a 5 on 5 goal on a great play, like RJ to Foligno. But how many hard working, sloppy, 5 on 5 goals do we score? Does it really matter if we keep the puck in the offensive zone if it never generates a chance?

I agree. Great to get the two points but the offense is a real concern.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Claude Noel just smiled a big smile!

I got no issue with that. That's what I loved about Clode. I think it's a valuable asset in any organization and probably why I like Foligno so much. Striking the right balance of "tones" and whether or not that particular "tone" is the one you want for your leadership are valid questions.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
On a side note, it's good to see Russell flourishing in Calgary. I was fairly impressed with him last night.

bizzz*

This gave me a big LOL.

The Calgary folks gave the three stars to:

1. Russell
2. Foligno
3. Colborne

The NHL three stars of the night are:

Nikitin
Crosby
Koivu

Puck Daddy

1. Koivu
2. Nikitin
3. Fleury

Bit of a disconnect there.

Anyway, good win for the Jackets. Lets light up Luongo tomorrow.

NHL and PuckDaddy aren't aware that Nikitin shouldn't be in the NHL.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I wasn't able to watch the game last night, but watching and reading about Foligno just shows how good he can be. He's already one of the best stick handlers on the team and one of the most physical guys on the team. If he can keep shooting like that, he'll become a force. Also, he's a "Dmac" type guy who I hardly ever see loafing it.

bizzz*

The winning goal wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for delayed penalty. Hudler was going to the box for goalie interference and was slow to get up, while Nikitin was able to jump on the play without being afraid of Hudler behind his back and possible counterattack.

Also. The team has played 5 games in 7 nights. They crossed a few time zones on that span. They look slower than usually, but I suppose they kind of tired.

JMFJ plays like crap recently, but you rarely see complains about his play. When Nikitin made one mistake last game that was one page of whining. One frikin page, where everyone was happy to kick the guy when he was down. Take it, haters.

Looks like only me and Richards want to see Nikitin in the line-up, I can live with it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I agree with DSL and others that the team looks different when Foligno is in versus out.

On a different note, just how much hockey IQ does Murray have? It's astounding how smart he is with the puck and how he never panics.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I got no issue with that. That's what I loved about Clode. I think it's a valuable asset in any organization and probably why I like Foligno so much. Striking the right balance of "tones" and whether or not that particular "tone" is the one you want for your leadership are valid questions.

When I see the word joy come up in a hockey conversation, the first thing I think of is Claude's pressers especially after a win.

There are a few good candidates that would "strike the right balance," and Foligno is one of them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:laugh:... you are funny Jorge.. It is true this stuff has gone on for years, I can't figure it out any more than you or anyone else. We've changed everything but the paint in Nationwide over the last 10 years..

Sigh. And folks wonder why the constant howls for blood and sacrifices anytime anything goes slightly wrong drive me up a ****ing wall. :p:

Wasn't able to catch this one or the one before at all. Gratified with tonight's result.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I agree with DSL and others that the team looks different when Foligno is in versus out.

On a different note, just how much hockey IQ does Murray have? It's astounding how smart he is with the puck and how he never panics.

Murray and Joey should be mainstays in the optimism thread (the Ryan thread?). They're both going to be so important to this team's future.

Joey looked great last night, even between 18 and 71. The thing I'm really impressed by is how strong he is on the puck, he hardly ever gets knocked off it anymore. And last night he really showed great hands and a strong instinct.

Very excited about both of these guys.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
The winning goal wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for delayed penalty. Hudler was going to the box for goalie interference and was slow to get up, while Nikitin was able to jump on the play without being afraid of Hudler behind his back and possible counterattack.

Good point.

The team has played 5 games in 7 nights. They crossed a few time zones on that span. They look slower than usually, but I suppose they kind of tired.

And again. 2 for 2.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
When Nikitin made one mistake last game that was one page of whining. One frikin page, where everyone was happy to kick the guy when he was down. Take it, haters.

Looks like only me and Richards want to see Nikitin in the line-up, I can live with it.

Last nights game did not change my opinion of Nikitin, one way or another. History is proving that 11/12 was a fluke. Nikitin isn't a bad player, he's just expendable and I really wouldn't want to pay for the raise that is coming if I were the GM.

Not sure why you have a chip on your shoulder about Nikitin. Beyond being an obvious trade candidate (more a numbers game than actual performance), his resume as a whipping boy is pretty weak compared to other Jackets players.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Last nights game did not change my opinion of Nikitin, one way or another. History is proving that 11/12 was a fluke. Nikitin isn't a bad player, he's just expendable and I really wouldn't want to pay for the raise that is coming if I were the GM.

Not sure why you have a chip on your shoulder about Nikitin. Beyond being an obvious trade candidate (more a numbers game than actual performance), his resume as a whipping boy is pretty weak compared to other Jackets players.

Whipping boys are alterable in the short-term based on the previous game, and are always changing. In other words, no one should get too tied to a whipping boy.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Good point.

He has a point. However the goal probably doesn't happen if AA doesn't create his own space. That is the type of play we pay AA for. I was excited to see that. To be honest, I'm starting to see forward momentum in RJ's play as well. Not saying it's where it needs to be, but it sure is better than it was.

Most goals are scored by a "It would never have happened if" moment. Scoring on a delayed penalty isn't all that uncommon. It creates some chaos.

The first goal doesn't happen if RJ doesn't make that nifty little pass. The Flames goal doesn't happen if the defense doesn't allow a guy that is hard to miss behind them.

I appreciate the analysis, but I'm not sure I understand if there is any real relevance behind the conclusion.

Sure I could let this go, I didn't really find anything objectionable in what you quoted or your conclusion. I just found in interesting enough to comment on.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
He has a point. However the goal probably doesn't happen if AA doesn't create his own space. That is the type of play we pay AA for. I was excited to see that. To be honest, I'm starting to see forward momentum in RJ's play as well. Not saying it's where it needs to be, but it sure is better than it was.

Most goals are scored by a "It would never have happened if" moment. Scoring on a delayed penalty isn't all that uncommon. It creates some chaos.

The first goal doesn't happen if RJ doesn't make that nifty little pass. The Flames goal doesn't happen if the defense doesn't allow a guy that is hard to miss behind them.

I appreciate the analysis, but I'm not sure I understand if there is any real relevance behind the conclusion.

Sure I could let this go, I didn't really find anything objectionable in what you quoted or your conclusion. I just found in interesting enough to comment on.

Actually, I think the delayed penalty is clearly relevant and I had not realized the implications until bizzz mentioned it. Part of that, of course, is that I never played the game, so I didn't think of it in those terms. As he said, the defenseman could play more aggressively because there was no concern for the play to go the other way and get behind them. Both Nikki and Savard were below the dots on the final goal, something that would not have been wise had they feared a counter. Not to say it might not have worked out, otherwise (nor minimizing the job done by AA), but I do see how the delayed penalty freed up everyone on offense to fully engage in the attack.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Actually, I think the delayed penalty is clearly relevant and I had not realized the implications until bizzz mentioned it. Part of that, of course, is that I never played the game, so I didn't think of it in those terms. As he said, the defenseman could play more aggressively because there was no concern for the play to go the other way and get behind them. Both Nikki and Savard were below the dots on the final goal, something that would not have been wise had they feared a counter. Not to say it might not have worked out, otherwise (nor minimizing the job done by AA), but I do see how the delayed penalty freed up everyone on offense to fully engage in the attack.

Meh, as I said have the extra attacker on a delayed penalty causes chaos. I understand your view, however.

bizzz*

Over the last 5 games Nikitin has scored 4 points... None of them were on the power-play. He almost doesn't play on the power-play any more. This whole team is full of forwards with all the PP opportunities in the world who can't score anything. And yet some "fans" tell me that Nikitin doesn't belong in the NHL. I can't remember a whole page of ridiculous complains about one single play, which wasn't even that terrible. The whole team sucked that night. That was like a gloom and doom parade.
Nikitin, like everyone, has his good and bad moments, his skating is not impressive, he stays behind the play sometimes (not time after time). But his first outlet pass is the best on the team. No one can cut off most of the opposition players with the first pass as good as him. He's doing it on a regular basis and recently we are getting rewarded - the goals in Boston and Calgary happened because Nikitin can pass the puck through forecheckers, he sees the lines, he knows how to do it. Some of his passes were just spectacular. He didn't get an assist on that play, but his pass through the air and 3 zones right on Vinny's stick was a thing of beauty:

The Jackets haven't lost a point because of Nikitin's play. They would have had 3 points less without him.

I like Nikitin and Murray the most cause their hockey IQ is highest on the team, they are smart guys. But Murray knows what he can do and doing it, while Nikitin's skating and instincts sometimes leave him behind. Reminds me of myself in juniors and that's why I take everything about him almost personally. I'm pulling for the guy cause he was able to make it that far and I'm OK with reasonable complains about his play, I also agree he's the most obvious choice to get traded. But saying he doesn't belong in the league is just stupid.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Over the last 5 games Nikitin has scored 4 points...

Not sure you really addressed any of my comments with your post. I certainly don't buy that Nikitin has one of the higher hockey IQ's on the team.

I quoted this part mainly to say, it's just a small sample size.

bizzz*

Not sure you really addressed any of my comments with your post. I certainly don't buy that Nikitin has one of the higher hockey IQ's on the team.

I quoted this part mainly to say, it's just a small sample size.
So 2010/11 was a fluke, 4 points in 5 games is too small sample size, his top-4 role on the team that finished 19-5-5 is also probably "a small sample" or "a fluke". And only his few mistakes is telling you the whole story about Nikitin.
A guy with his size and skating ability (or lack of it) won't even make it to the NHL without high hockey IQ. He's not brainless John Moore who could survive relying on his skating and instincts. Nikitin is thinking the game.

And I have no idea how should I have addressed your comments. I've explained why I wasn't happy about some posting on the boards and tried to explain that 2010/11 wasn't actually a fluke. Nikitin still makes great outlet passes and how many goals are scored from those assists totally depends on Jackets forwards. He can do nothing about that. But recently it was showing on the score sheets.

bizzz*

Anisimov role was described a few times, but no one even mentioned that the goal was scored on delayed penalty. I've never said that the penalty was the ONLY reason. But you have to come out and make some uncalled comments about other players roles. The whole your point is "I'm not saying that's wrong, but I'm not sure if that's right".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad