GDT: Game 2: Sharks vs. Ducks 7:00pm NBCSSharks

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Breakdown of the play by Jack Han (hockey consultant), he was actually on Sheng and Keegans podcast a couple months ago Sorting it out on the backcheck
I'm really glad that you posted this link, because it inadvertently lead to me to finding an incredibly short article I've been thinking about for literally years but always forgot who wrote it or where I found it:

This is highly relevant to guys like Smith and Musty.

Reactions: vortexy

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
I'm really glad that you posted this link, because it inadvertently lead to me to finding an incredibly short article I've been thinking about for literally years but always forgot who wrote it or where I found it:

This is highly relevant to guys like Smith and Musty.
Haha glad I could help! I enjoy reading Jack Han’s work, he has a great mind for hockey

Reactions: Juxtaposer

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Except you didn't consider all the different reads. You never once considered that his read was the correct and expected thing for him to do. Everything you mention about the actual read Smith made was under the assumption that it was wrong in the first place when there's just no evidence of that. You quoted two different things that state different things that you are equivocating for some reason. I'm not sure how you can say nobody said anything about censoring viewpoints but also in the same breath say that I'm not allowing for other viewpoints. I'm not preventing you from making your points. I'm disagreeing with what I think is disagreeable. You're making more of that than what it is actually there.
You won't listen to me, fine. Go read the Twitter thread from Jack Han that got posted here. There are a whole lot of good opinions and I didn't read a single one that said Smith made the right read. And a lot of opinions that say he made the wrong read or that multiple errors including his read were compounded. But perhaps you are the only right one and we're all wrong. Jack Han, FWIW, thinks that Smith made a mistake and even if he didn't he executed poorly.

1000012318.png

As for the interactions bringing out the worst in you, I've noticed that that doesn't just apply to me because you've said it to others as well. Seems like after looking in the mirror, you decided to continue blaming me for how you react.
I've blocked one person. I've had disagreements with Jux but the vast majority of our interactions are positive. LilLeeroy trolls everyone but often also has good or great contrarian points, same as Hodge. Most everyone else is either awesome or plays some part that adds value. Who else? I've been here since 2007 too, you know.

My commitment is to continue to try to have fun here rather than getting into these back and forths. I own responsibility for my part. Do you? I'll also likely just limit my interactions with you and if we get into it again in the future, I'll just block you or you can do the same to me. Since my first block, stress levels have gone way down and this place is a lot more fun.

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
You won't listen to me, fine. Go read the Twitter thread from Jack Han that got posted here. There are a whole lot of good opinions and I didn't read a single one that said Smith made the right read. And a lot of opinions that say he made the wrong read or that multiple errors including his read were compounded. But perhaps you are the only right one and we're all wrong. Jack Han, FWIW, thinks that Smith made a mistake and even if he didn't he executed poorly.
Saying you didn’t read a single one that said that Smith made the correct read it ignoring the note by Jack Han that states some coaches want the F3 to attack the puck carrier. Yes he dismisses it a sentence later but it is very possible that Smith made the correct read based on the Sharks system.

Regardless of the read Smith did execute poorly so in the end it doesn’t really matter. The bigger problem is not giving him and PP minutes when the PP 1 plays the whole 2 minutes without creating dangerous chances or not playing Smith in OT when his puck skills and vision will play well at 3 on 3.

I am nervous based on their deployment of Smith the first 3 games that they will destroy his development by overemphasizing the low impact and low success events with Smith without trying to prioritize coaching to his strengths. Similar to the link that Jux posted from Jack Han.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Saying you didn’t read a single one that said that Smith made the correct read it ignoring the note by Jack Han that states some coaches want the F3 to attack the puck carrier. Yes he dismisses it a sentence later but it is very possible that Smith made the correct read based on the Sharks system.

I didn't ignore the note by Jack, I specifically screenshotted and included it because it counters the exact discussion. "Some coaches will want the F3 to attack the puck carrier, but at the OZ blue or before red line, and so this was executed poorly."

In contrast, watch the first 5 minutes of last night's game. A handful of 3 on 2's with back checkers that become 3 on 3's because the center/F3 pulls up at the red line to keep the trailer in front of him. Just like Jack Han said - attack the puck carrier at the OZ blue or before the red, maybe, but after that, shade back and pick up the trailer.

He didn't make the correct read, or he "made" it 1-2 seconds and 20-30 feet late, which means he failed to adjust and basically made the wrong read. It wasn't the only mistake, it might not have even been the biggest mistake, but it was the mistake that started the problems. Like Jack Han said, and a bunch of folks on the thread said.

This is the last post I'm going to respond to in this thread, but it's pretty clear from basic hockey knowledge to former pro coach analysis that he didn't make the right play. Who cares.

Edit after your edit: I agree what matters is Smith's development but the best thing for him is Celebrini back, freeing up Granlund to play with Smith. Kostin and Zetts aren't play drivers, Smith can't currently drive play well, but he looked better with Granlund in game 1.

He's not likely to get PP1 time, at least not yet.

We've got 2-3 seasons before we can even sniff at evaluating whether we are destroying his development, so everyone should strap in.

Reactions: vortexy

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

View attachment 917231

I've blocked one person. I've had disagreements with Jux but the vast majority of our interactions are positive. LilLeeroy trolls everyone but often also has good or great contrarian points, same as Hodge. Most everyone else is either awesome or plays some part that adds value. Who else? I've been here since 2007 too, you know.

My commitment is to continue to try to have fun here rather than getting into these back and forths. I own responsibility for my part. Do you? I'll also likely just limit my interactions with you and if we get into it again in the future, I'll just block you or you can do the same to me. Since my first block, stress levels have gone way down and this place is a lot more fun.
I've read Jack's take and it's a perfectly fine take that I disagree with. I think he gets it wrong with where it starts. It starts with Thrun's passive play on the breakout and the space provided. Considering the experience that Thrun and Smith have, it's an understandable series of errors by them. I tend to blame that more on the defenseman that has the posture needed to see what it's looking like more than the backchecking forward that tends to need communication on who to take.

How exactly do you own responsibility for your part? You've consistently blamed me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad