GDT: Game 2: Sharks vs. Ducks 7:00pm NBCSSharks

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
That’s a bit of a stretch

When you say bit of a stretch this is what I’m seeing(for context)
IMG_2154.jpeg

5-2 donks does it matter who scores 😂

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hopeful that it’s a one game sit for Gushchin. With Celebrini’s injury I can only imagine the team is going to hurt for offense.
I definitely think it will be a one game sit for Gushchin. Then he'll get sent down to the AHL.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I'm not sure if we are still doing SNOGs this year (I haven't seen that one guy who posts the SNOG results in a long while) but it's Saturday and it's a pacific division rival, so might as well:

SNOG

Sharks 4 (Smith, Zetterlund, Walman, Kunin)
Ducks 3 (Carlsson, Vatrano, Strome)

Umm

Reactions: bluefunnel

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I don't think a decision has been made about what happens to gush. If Grundstrom and Kostin have a bad game, I think he's right back in the lineup.
That’s a bit of a stretch.
I don't see why people think Gush definitively has more offense than Kostin in the NHL. Kostin is far more proven in the NHL, even though neither of them are proven. It's a completely different style, but he's had a 20 game stretch with 0.5ppg. Can't say the same (yet) for Gush but it's far from proven that he brings more offense in the show.

I also agree with @Hodge that the Gush obsession is kind of strange. We all like players to root for but it seems like he's Highlander'd the Bordeleau fan base and Bords is long forgotten for the new shiny toy. Neither of them are likely to be Martin St. Louis. I'm rooting for them too but I also don't have that much attachment. I want one of these fringe guys with potential to hit (incl Kostin, Dell, Grundstrom, Gush, Bords, Thompson) so we have some resources to keep or trade.

Thrun is a good example. Take him or leave him in the big picture, but I'm excited this season that he seems to maybe be pushing into #4 territory.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I don't think a decision has been made about what happens to gush. If Grundstrom and Kostin have a bad game, I think he's right back in the lineup.

I don't see why people think Gush definitively has more offense than Kostin in the NHL. Kostin is far more proven in the NHL, even though neither of them are proven. It's a completely different style, but he's had a 20 game stretch with 0.5ppg. Can't say the same (yet) for Gush but it's far from proven that he brings more offense in the show.

I also agree with @Hodge that the Gush obsession is kind of strange. We all like players to root for but it seems like he's Highlander'd the Bordeleau fan base and Bords is long forgotten for the new shiny toy. Neither of them are likely to be Martin St. Louis. I'm rooting for them too but I also don't have that much attachment. I want one of these fringe guys with potential to hit (incl Kostin, Dell, Grundstrom, Gush, Bords, Thompson) so we have some resources to keep or trade.

Thrun is a good example. Take him or leave him in the big picture, but I'm excited this season that he seems to maybe be pushing into #4 territory.
People like to root for the underdog and Gushchin sort of perfectly epitomizes that. Plus he's fun to watch. And compared to someone like Kostin, we all know he's going to get waaaaay fewer chances to succeed (which sort of speaks to the underdog nature of Gushchin's journey), so while I don't think anyone is rooting against Kostin, they understand the reality of his life in the NHL versus Gushchin's.

Reactions: Patty Ice

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
It's been a day and I want to forget and I've been in a funk all day. Gonna watch the game tonight but I got a beer on hand this time. Or more. Look I gotta have fun somehow lol

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Gushchin’s best attribute is his offensive ability. With the exception of his extremely small sample size in the NHL, where he’s still scoring at a decent pace, he’s easily outsourced Kostin. In the AHL in 100 fewer games Gushchin has more points than Kostin. Kostin is on his 4th team and is still struggling to establish himself as an NHL regular and lacks the track record at lower levels to warrant the belief that he has more offensive ability than someone who has excelled everywhere he’s played. The Gushchin obsession is overstated by Hodge, he’s taking people’s optimism for a player and weaponizing it for engagement. He’s as much a part of it as anyone who likes Gushchin because he never misses an opportunity to bemoan their positive feelings. You can think Gushchin is not good enough to make it due to his known deficiencies like size, and leave it at that without inflating a severely flawed player’s offensive ability and stating it is equal or better than Gushchin’s.

Reactions: Chinaski89

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Gushchin’s best attribute is his offensive ability. With the exception of his extremely small sample size in the NHL, where he’s still scoring at a decent pace, he’s easily outsourced Kostin. In the AHL in 100 fewer games Gushchin has more points than Kostin. Kostin is on his 4th team and is still struggling to establish himself as an NHL regular and lacks the track record at lower levels to warrant the belief that he has more offensive ability than someone who has excelled everywhere he’s played. The Gushchin obsession is overstated by Hodge, he’s taking people’s optimism for a player and weaponizing it for engagement. He’s as much a part of it as anyone who likes Gushchin because he never misses an opportunity to bemoan their positive feelings. You can think Gushchin is not good enough to make it due to his known deficiencies like size, and leave it at that without inflating a severely flawed player’s offensive ability and stating it is equal or better than Gushchin’s.
Great point, why didn't Warsofsky look up Kostin's numbers with the Springfield Thunderbirds before deciding to put him in the lineup?

One symptom of Gushchin obsession is acting like there's any meaningful difference between him and a guy like Kostin or that either guy matters to our future.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Great point, why didn't Warsofsky look up Kostin's numbers with the Springfield Thunderbirds before deciding to put him in the lineup?

One symptom of Gushchin obsession is acting like there's any meaningful difference between him and a guy like Kostin or that either guy matters to our future.
:laugh: The Warsofsky comment is totally irrelevant and provides no value to the conversation. I'm always fascinated that you choose to lead with a wild inflammatory nonsense statement as support for your appeals to authority. However, I think the most entertaining part is that you don't even try to be a respected member of the forum, that you're totally fine being a caricature.

Any player who puts on the uniform has a chance to make a meaningful difference to the Sharks' future.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
:laugh: The Warsofsky comment is totally irrelevant and provides no value to the conversation. I'm always fascinated that you choose to lead with a wild inflammatory nonsense statement as support for your appeals to authority. However, I think the most entertaining part is that you don't even try to be a respected member of the forum, that you're totally fine being a caricature.
You're the one claiming Gushchin is a better offensive player than Kostin based on AHL stats from 5 years ago.
Any player who puts on the uniform has a chance to make a meaningful difference to the Sharks' future.
If you truly believed this you wouldn't whine every time someone else gets to play over the golden goose.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You're the one claiming Gushchin is a better offensive player than Kostin based on AHL stats from 5 years ago.

If you truly believed this you wouldn't whine every time someone else gets to play over the golden goose.
Burden of proof is on you (Kostin was in the AHL playing games 2 years ago). Prove to me that Kostin is as good offensively as Gushchin with the data available. Even an appeal to authority won't work without corroborating evidence.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Burden of proof is on you (Kostin was in the AHL playing games 2 years ago). Prove to me that Kostin is as good offensively as Gushchin with the data available. Even an appeal to authority won't work without corroborating evidence.
Why should I? I don't care which one plays and I'm baffled that it seems to matter so much to you. I trust coaches and management to make the right call.

• Haha
Reactions: hohosaregood

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
When the ice be frostin'
This conversation is kostin
brain cells, brain cells, my brain cells down to one.
Yo someone make it go vamoose
Because I'm ready to let my Goose loose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad