GDT: Game 2: Red Wings vs preds 7:00 pm et 10/12/24

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Gustafsson is another guy who sucks we signed for really no reason. The only reason we keep doing this is if we think the rookies aren’t good enough to play but then they do. Glad to see him sitting. We need to trim the fat.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Gustafsson is another guy who sucks we signed for really no reason. The only reason we keep doing this is if we think the rookies aren’t good enough to play but then they do. Glad to see him sitting. We need to trim the fat.

Yeah, on one hand I'm glad they're already making the move. On the other ... looking like we might have more dead cap for 2 years from a bad signing...

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, on one hand I'm glad they're already making the move. On the other ... looking like we might have more dead cap for 2 years from a bad signing...
Who gives a f*** about dead cap space. The cap dollars would just be spent on some other free agent of a similar caliber. Good free agents won't sign in Detroit until Detroit become competitive. It is just that simple. Much ado about nothing.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I was thinking we we'e getting a poor man's Ghost offensively, for about the same defensively, but he's somehow so much worse at both. At least through 1 game.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Who gives a f*** about dead cap space. The cap dollars would just be spent on some other free agent of a similar caliber. Good free agents won't sign in Detroit until Detroit become competitive. It is just that simple. Much ado about nothing.
Who gives a f*** really?

With the capspace spent on Holl and Gustafsson they could have signed Matt Roy to play behind Seider.
And don't give me that BS that good free agents won't come here Kane came here and re-signed.

Reactions: Coach Reggie Dunlop

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
"The Red Wings are playing their second game of the season tonight and they are already second from the bottom of the standings in the Atlantic. This means they have 81 games left in the 24-25 season to right the ship, which to most of us seems like a reasonable number to work with. But for some fans out there the number 81 might as well be second to "none", and the season over before it really even starts."

- Plausible Keats

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Can’t wait for the start of “AlJo as Seider’s Perfect Partner” as this low maintenance, positionally smart, good-not-great, all rounder. Make it happen, rookie who I have too much confidence in!

• Love
Reactions: Steve91 and jaster

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
This is a bullshit excuse. Chicago added Teravainen and Bertuzzi while being a literal bottom barrel team. The capitals added Matt Roy and were literally tied with us for points last year. Kraken missed the playoffs with less points than us and signed Montour. Plenty of mid to bad teams are able to sign big free agents every year.

It’s on Yzerman for signing 3 shitty vets to 2-4M contracts each instead of signing 1 good vet to a 5-7M contract and promoting 2 kids, which would likely have a much better outcome.

Which would you rather have? Holl + Gustafsson is Matt Roy’s salary.

So:
Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Roy
Johansson-Maatta
Petry

Or what we have now ?

The excuses for mismanagement are getting old. I really, really am happy with stevie's drafting, and he's proven me wrong about every kid I doubted - Kasper looks much better than Savoie, and I'm very happy I was wrong about that. I hope Danielson will prove me wrong about Benson too. Buchelnikov is about to have a PPG season in the KHL and could be great. ASP is also looking like he could be our version of Hughes/Makar.

But his pro scouting, FA signings, and roster decisions are really, really questionable, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: taliababa

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Who gives a f*** really?

With the capspace spent on Holl and Gustafsson they could have signed Matt Roy to play behind Seider.
And don't give me that BS that good free agents won't come here Kane came here and re-signed.
Those two contracts did not prevent us from signing Roy. More importantly, even if they were not on the roster there is nothing we could have done to force Roy to sign with us.

Patrick Kane was 34 and coming off a nasty surgery when we signed him. He was hardly the belle of the ball at that point.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Those two contracts did not prevent us from signing Roy. More importantly, even if they were not on the roster there is nothing we could have done to force Roy to sign with us.

Patrick Kane was 34 and coming off a nasty surgery when we signed him. He was hardly the belle of the ball at that point.

yep, we went after Trouba who had a much high cap hit than what Roy signed for. Cap hit was not an issue when the wings went looking for help this summer.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This is a bullshit excuse. Chicago added Teravainen and Bertuzzi while being a literal bottom barrel team. The capitals added Matt Roy and were literally tied with us for points last year. Kraken missed the playoffs and signed Montour. Plenty of mid to bad teams are able to sign big free agents every year.

It’s on Yzerman for signing 3 shitty vets to 4-5M contracts each instead of signing 1 good vet to a 7M contract and promoting 2 kids, which would likely have a much better outcome.

Which would you rather have?
Holl + Gustafsson is more than Matt Roy’s salary.

Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Roy
Chariot-Maatta
Petry

Or what we have now ?

The excuses for mismanagement are getting old.
And none of those cities are Detroit, Michigan. I appreciate that you Canadians may have a very limited understanding of US labor and employment laws. Our country's laws in 2024 simply do not allow for indentured servitude or slavery. I presume that Canada has similar laws. There is nothing we could have done to literally force Roy to sign with the Detroit Redwings, nothings. Moreover, the CBA does not allow us to compel a UFA to sign with the Wings.

The signings may be bad, but they are not necessarily holding us back from some materially different, and better reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad