Post-Game Talk: Game #2 Pens vs Wings: Much better game

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sad thing is that McG will be sent down the second Rust is ready to go.
I don’t think it’s sad…I’d like to see him developing with more ice time in an offensive role in the top six in Wilkes…hopefully we can bring him back in the top six when injuries occur or if other players become ineffective

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh also I got to see aurora borealis last night!

Uh... the phenomenon. Not the poster from here. If it were the poster from here he'd probably have taken the opportunity to punch me lol

Reactions: Sideline

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh also I got to see aurora borealis last night!

Uh... the phenomenon. Not the poster from here. If it were the poster from here he'd probably have taken the opportunity to punch me lol

By punch do you mean have a long winded argument with you about how you don't understand the proper way to socialize, how Steel Reserve is actually a top five beer because of the ABV% per ounce quality, and then read a book in the bar alone at a table just thinking about how smart he looks compared to everyone else?

How particularly are you to make saves on a complete nonexistent defensive awareness showing by a team. Like almost all the time. The case with Ned is as of all backups where a team plays tighter.

This isn't something new to this team. They have played this way for years, I don't know why it is so shocking. They got their asses handed to them the night before, if it were the same two teams playing again do people really expect different outcomes?

The result is they lose both games because they can't score on Shesterkin, or score enough.

I think if Blomqvist or Ned was in net against the Rangers we don't go into the end of the 1st period 0-3. Things could change from there, but this team doesn't trust Jarry. It's obvious.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The difference is that Blom didn't let in the first shot of the game.

The Pens were playing well to start the Rags game until El Deflato let the first one in, as is his wont. They might not have won anyway, but Jarry doesn't give ever them their best chance.

Ned was better last season, which was why he took all the starts from the established starter down the stretch.
The last 5 games, he won though he gave up 5 goals (OT vs. Detroit 6-5), was pulled vs. Boston after giving up 3 on 16 shots, and was only above .900 once and he had 2 wins out of 5. Losing the final game 5-4 April 17 which also matches his previous loss to the Isanders Feb. 20th also 5-4.

Ned was historically just as bad though having a winning record. Of his 38 games played he gave up 3 or more goals 21 times.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I think I figured it out. Finally. The Jarry fanatics (lol?) are just leftover Fleury fans, who are so hardwired to defend a fledgling goaltender that they simply can't turn it off. Even now, they smelled the "better than Jarry" after this game and came out in droves with absolute paragraphs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The last 5 games, he won though he gave up 5 goals (OT vs. Detroit 6-5), was pulled vs. Boston after giving up 3 on 16 shots, and was only above .900 once and he had 2 wins out of 5. Losing the final game 5-4 April 17 which also matches his previous loss to the Isanders Feb. 20th also 5-4.

Ned was historically just as bad though having a winning record. Of his 38 games played he gave up 3 or more goals 21 times.

Weird. It's almost like how every single player and member of our coaching staff said, Ned battles.

Jarry falls apart.

Why is this so hard to get?

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
By punch do you mean have a long winded argument with you about how you don't understand the proper way to socialize, how Steel Reserve is actually a top five beer because of the ABV% per ounce quality, and then read a book in the bar alone at a table just thinking about how smart he looks compared to everyone else?

Criticizing others on their conversational abilities and social aptitude, drinking swill beer and generally sporting a self-assured air about him that he is somehow superior to everyone else?

You sure you're not talkin' about me, here?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
probably the only good Bob Dylan record when you really think about it.

Oh hahahaha... nooooooo... I myself wouldn't go that far. Though I'm not as crazy about some of his earlier work as others.

Desire was a latter-day jam of a record, too. I don't generally much care or acknowledge most of the stuff from after that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I think if Blomqvist or Ned was in net against the Rangers we don't go into the end of the 1st period 0-3. Things could change from there, but this team doesn't trust Jarry. It's obvious.
Or the team just plays horribly bad defensively for 3 periods and leaves him out to dry too much all while never scoring a single goal.

It's like you all ignore the games play to just dump on Jarry.

1. His first given up was tipped in front. Nobody was stopping that.
2. He was stuck between because Petts goes down of a possible pass and great keep and shot from Alex.
3. How many saves is he supposed to make? He made 4 out of 5 in 19 seconds. Kreider left alone in front.

You can't make this stuff up, but it's all Jarry's fault.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don’t think it’s sad…I’d like to see him developing with more ice time in an offensive role in the top six in Wilkes…hopefully we can bring him back in the top six when injuries occur or if other players become ineffective

I do think Malkin will be underrated historically when it's all said and done. But I think suggesting that he was on the a similar level to Joe Sakic is very fair for him.

Or the team just plays horribly bad defensively for 3 periods and leaves him out to dry too much all while never scoring a single goal.

It's like you all ignore the games play to just dump on Jarry.

1. His first given up was tipped in front. Nobody was stopping that.
2. He was stuck between because Petts goes down of a possible pass and great keep and shot from Alex.
3. How many saves is he supposed to make? He made 4 out of 5 in 19 seconds. Kreider left alone in front.

You can't make this stuff up, but it's all Jarry's fault.
The Pens intermission gang talked about something that I think is valid here - while they didn't name Jarry specifically, they talked about how deflating a soft goal can be for the bench. You battle, you make the saves, the team is doing well...and then a soft one is let in and the team deflates. They were indicating that Blomqvist was NOT doing that which I think is very fair. I don't remember Neds letting too many soft goals that just deflated the team.

Unfortunately, Jarry has played himself into an area that will be VERY difficult to get out of. I posted about this a couple days ago. It doesn't matter if the game is 1-1 and you're posting a .975 sv%, if you let in the soft goal late in the third and the team losing 2-1, no one gives a shit about the awesome stats. If you're battling in a 6-6 game and running a 0.825 sv% but you make the key save late in the third and the team wins 7-6, no one gives a shit about the crappy stats. We are sooooooooooooooooo f***ing far past stat watching with Jarry that it's near meaningless. Jarry needs to give this team the opportunity to win EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. And going back well into last year, I would say he has NOT done that with any level of consistency that should be expected out of a "starting goalie" making $5.25mil. Neds, however, did, which is why he was the starter down the stretch. Blomqvist did last night.

In every game, we know the goals that are the goalie's fault and which are not. I didn't blame Blomqvist for the rocket Tarasanko sent over his shoulder, and I wouldn't have blamed Jarry either. Sometimes, high-quality forwards just fire lasers into the net. It's part of the game. On the 5 on 3, Blomqvist battled HARD and made several saves before succumbing. It's not his fault, and I wouldn't have faulted Jarry either; however, I have SEVERE doubts as to whether or not Jarry would have survived the same amount of time Blomqvist just did.

The fact of the matter is, every game, any given team will put 30+ shots on our goalie. When it comes down to it, that means 30+ different times where the forwards and defense failed to control the puck and defend. But that's part of the game. That is going to happen. The argument of "well, it's not Jarry's fault because the team in front of him allowed the other team to shoot the puck" is absolute hogwash. The goalie's job is to stop the puck. Period. Shots from the other team will happen 30+ times a game. They need to stop them in order for the team to win. Nickel and diming the defense is a weak argument to cover for poor goalie performance.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I've never seen another fan base more miserable and critical after a 3-goal win than this one.
HFBoards is less indicative of how a fan base feels than how miserable alcoholic perverts feel

98% of the fan base is going “yay win, lots of goals, Geno had a beautiful assist! I like it when the Pens win 😀” this morning

badi

Jan 21, 2008
I know its early but having followed Glass since he entered the league , he seems bigger and faster then before ...
Will see how he progresses but he could be a decent player for you guys

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think I figured it out. Finally. The Jarry fanatics (lol?) are just leftover Fleury fans, who are so hardwired to defend a fledgling goaltender that they simply can't turn it off. Even now, they smelled the "better than Jarry" after this game and came out in droves with absolute paragraphs.
I think it's a case of Jarry defenders being Fleury fans who hated Matt Murray for stealing his job. So because Jarry "stole" Murray's job, they like him almost in a revenge sort of way. And now defend him no matter how many times he shows he's a mental midget.

Reactions: BillyOcean

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I do think Malkin will be underrated historically when it's all said and done. But I think suggesting that he was on the a similar level to Joe Sakic is very fair for him.
I think the thing that most people miss about Geno is just how he could hit that Crosby/Ovechkin level and occasionally just peak over it. I forget who this was but a guy talking about Gretzky and Mario - he said Gretzky was “on” every night, but when Mario was “on” he was scarier. I feel that way about Geno. Fully engaged, angry, “I am score” Geno is the hardest player to deal with in the last 20+ years. The “shades of Mario” comment was very accurate - at his best, nothing mattered in a game but the fact Geno wanted to win.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd take Malkin over Oates too on that list TBH. Way more dominant of a player. Oates was terrific but didn't have prime (and even sometimes latter day) Malkin's ability to simply take games over and force a win.

Also are people mad about this game or something? What am I missing? For HF standards this place seems downright jubilant.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think the thing that most people miss about Geno is just how he could hit that Crosby/Ovechkin level and occasionally just peak over it. I forget who this was but a guy talking about Gretzky and Mario - he said Gretzky was “on” every night, but when Mario was “on” he was scarier. I feel that way about Geno. Fully engaged, angry, “I am score” Geno is the hardest player to deal with in the last 20+ years. The “shades of Mario” comment was very accurate - at his best, nothing mattered in a game but the fact Geno wanted to win.
Circa 2012, I would comment "He is capable of single-handedly taking over a game on a level the league hasn't seen since Jagr"

Reactions: spcastlemagic

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
The top two lines looked way better.

The Red Wings aren't nearly as good as the Rangers, but I think you have to keep those lines together. I've always said Rakell should be playing with Crosby. Keep him there, and I guarantee he produces.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad