Post-Game Talk: Game #2 Pens vs Wings: Much better game

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Maybe they just are shook when Jarry is in net. But they settled down so much, a lot less freneticism. They played the first 4 periods of the year panicked and once they had a lead they remembered they’re allowed to play normal hockey.

Having a goaltender make great saves works wonders. When you’re afraid every mistake is gonna end up in the net you play too tight and nervous to win.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just like 2016 lol
2016 they were not in a playoff spot if not for Fleury.

These revisionist takes are why things are so skewed. They were lucky they had a team well built and of one thought come time when Murray stepped in late in the year. They tighten up even moreso and were a shot blocking machine come time Murray put on the jersey with 13 games left in the season.

Just so people understand, Fleury was 2.29 and .921 that season. If not for him there is no playoffs. He suffered a concussion and it's the only reason Murray even got a shot. This team was very fortunate how all of this played out, it was a rude awakening when Murray had to deal with what Fleury did season in and season out once that team was dismantled.

There's a common theme when the team does well enough to challenge for the playoffs. Team depth, and in those two seasons at each and every position.

It started down the middle with Crosby, Malkin, Bonino, Fehr and Cullen.

Wingers were Kunitz, Hornqvist, Kessel, Sheary, Rust, Hagelin with Bennett, Wilson and Kuhnhackl in the ranks.

Defens was Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Daley, Cole, Lovejoy and Schultz

The team changed once Sully arrived, after about 4/5 losses to start. The team went through a shakeup and gained continuity the rest of the way after being on the back of Fleury.

Reactions: End of Line

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Groats with the fewest amount of minutes among forwards. Just send him down. That’s not good for a players development.

Considering he doesn't play on the special teams it's kind of normal to see that amount of ice. I'd be much more concerned if he "didn't belong there" which isn't the case. I'd keep him at least all of October and re-evalute then

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
The biggest difference between the Detroit game and Rangers game was Blom vs Jarry.

Jarry needed to make a big save or 2 in the 1st period when it mattered. As expected, he didn't do that! Blom did that, and we responded!

Jarry needs to be traded, or delegated to backup behind Ned/Blom (whoever is doing better). I'm not say this after one bad Jarry performance, but in light of his entire career at this point.

Reactions: Giskard

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Considering he doesn't play on the special teams it's kind of normal to see that amount of ice. I'd be much more concerned if he "didn't belong there" which isn't the case. I'd keep him at least all of October and re-evalute then
I think that’s part of the issue though. His skill set would really benefit from being on the PP.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The biggest difference between the Detroit game and Rangers game was Blom vs Jarry.

Jarry needed to make a big save or 2 in the 1st period when it mattered. As expected, he didn't do that! Blom did that, and we responded!

Jarry needs to be traded, or delegated to backup behind Ned/Blom (whoever is doing better). I'm not say this after one bad Jarry performance, but in light of his entire career at this point.

Except, they didn't for all their trying score or make it easier on not only their goalie, but the entire team. They were a hot mess. The difference between the two games is the quality of the two teams.

Minor changes in the lineup.

Proof being Ned is no better, and in time behind this team Blom won't be much better either behind that kind of performance, defensively. The team was playing vs. worse goaltenders in Husso/Talbot respectably. Not exactly a great performance other than they won giving up 3.

Scoring 6 and giving up 9 and coming away with 1-1-0 saw them get what they deserved.

Reactions: Sideline and Ulf5

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah he’s not the lowest at 5v5 at all

just zero special teams time

This is why I was saying 10-15 G and 25+ points in this role would be a good season. He’s not going to get the ice to score more.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yeah like I said, this is one of the very rare instances where Sullivan is coaching against a coach that is actually worse than he is, there’s not a lot in the league like that, the other ones he’s hired as his Assistants for the US team.
worse???? come on now, sully has work hard for that no 1 spot cut him a little slack.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Except, they didn't for all their trying score or make it easier on not only their goalie, but the entire team. They were a hot mess. The difference between the two games is the quality of the two teams.

Proof being Ned is no better, and in time behind this team Blom won't be much better either behind that kind of performance, defensively. The team was playing vs. worse goaltenders in Husso/Talbot respectably. Not exactly a great performance other than they won giving up 3.

Scoring 6 and giving up 9 and coming away with 1-1-0 saw them get what they deserved.
The backups might not have provided superior stats up to this point. And Jarry does perform around league average stats wise. And slightly above average earlier in the season.
However, he seems to give up an inordinate amount of untimely, deflating goals. End of period? Check. Pens score to take a lead later in the game. Jarry gives up a goal minutes later? Check.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

There is a reason why we rode Ned hard the last 20 games last year. The stats don't show the picture of deflating goals at the wrong time.

We pushed hard in the first 5-10 in the Rangers game. Then came their wave, and we crumbled. Sure if we didn't give up odd man rushes, proper D coverage, etc etc.

You would be surprised what a timely save can do for a team. Jarry just never makes them!

He makes brilliant saves, don't get me wrong but you do that down 1/2-0, not down 4-0.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There is a reason why we rode Ned hard the last 20 games last year. The stats don't show the picture of deflating goals at the wrong time.

We pushed hard in the first 5-10 in the Rangers game. Then came their wave, and we crumbled. Sure if we didn't give up odd man rushes, proper D coverage, etc etc.

You would be surprised what a timely save can do for a team. Jarry just never makes them!

He makes brilliant saves, don't get me wrong but you do that down 1/2-0, not down 4-0.

Agreed. We’ve seen it with him since the Isles series.

He just doesn’t win games. Some goalies have it, some don’t.

Jarry doesn’t make clutch saves.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The backups might not have provided superior stats up to this point. And Jarry does perform around league average stats wise. And slightly above average earlier in the season.
However, he seems to give up an inordinate amount of untimely, deflating goals. End of period? Check. Pens score to take a lead later in the game. Jarry gives up a goal minutes later? Check.

The team also expends a lot of effort and in turn gives up higher danger looks just after. Like silly stuff like poor line changes, or a horrible turnover in the worst places. You can set your watch to them almost. Those are created from a team pushing north at all times.

Reactions: Ulf5

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
The team also expends a lot of effort and in turn gives up higher danger looks just after. Like silly stuff like poor line changes, or a horrible turnover in the worst places. You can set your watch to them almost. Those are created from a team pushing north at all times.
Certainly true. But there's a reason Ned had only 1 less win in 15 less starts. And it wasn't entirely goals for. Timely saves go a long way in team effort put forth on your behalf.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That was actually a really sweet goal by Hayes. I've bagged on the idea of bringing him in a lot but I want to pull for him a bit this year considering his friendship with Gaudreau. Also neat to see a flash of vintage Geno. I still think he's gonna take like a baker's dozen games to get to 500 but that was cool. Uh... really weird moment with Sullivan there... dude looked like he would rather take a bubble bath with his grandma than return that hug lol

Detroit not very good but I'll take the wins when they come.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Certainly true. But there's a reason Ned had only 1 less win in 15 less starts. And it wasn't entirely goals for. Timely saves go a long way in team effort put forth on your behalf.

How particularly are you to make saves on a complete nonexistent defensive awareness showing by a team. Like almost all the time. The case with Ned is as of all backups where a team plays tighter.

This isn't something new to this team. They have played this way for years, I don't know why it is so shocking. They got their asses handed to them the night before, if it were the same two teams playing again do people really expect different outcomes?

The result is they lose both games because they can't score on Shesterkin, or score enough.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The difference is that Blom didn't let in the first shot of the game.

The Pens were playing well to start the Rags game until El Deflato let the first one in, as is his wont. They might not have won anyway, but Jarry doesn't give ever them their best chance.

Ned was better last season, which was why he took all the starts from the established starter down the stretch.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad