Post-Game Talk: Game #2 Pens vs Wings: Much better game

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
+ Thought Graves played one of his best games in a long time. Was winning battles and keeping it simple. That's how he needs to play

+ St. Ivany looked good too. Kid has a lot of poise with his ability to spin off forecheckers

+ EK was up and down but I thought from about halfway through the second period he started looking dominant

+ Blomqvist. Love to see mom and pop looking proud. Good for the kid. If he doesn't have a dominant first period the Pens lose this game. Yeah the Pens put up 6 but imagine the hole if Detroit had buried those grade As they were getting in the first?

+ DOC was great. Awesome on the forecheck and supported Geno well

+ Geno/Sid both looked good. Geno is skating with authority which is nice to see. Sid got us going like any captain should. The Pens had a huge weight lift off their backs with that first goal.

+ Bottom six in general. Hayes/Glass had good games. McGroarty did well with the limited ice time he got.

+ David Quinn coaching the Pens powerplay to actually work the puck down low. When teams have to respect that a little more it opens up plays like the EK goal. It's a small thing but last year the Pens spent all day just dicking around with the puck up top so teams just overloaded that and gg.

- Letang. He's in mid season brainless Letang form lol. I know he's better than this. Hopefully he gets his shit together soon.

- Penalties. Pens need to chill with some of these crappy penalties.

- Sullivan barely playing McGroarty. Just send him down if he's not going to play. He needs to develop.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Obviously the big story here is Blomqvist. Amazing how well he did against several quality shooters on the RDW. First goal was rough. Not much he could do on the 5 on 3 but it was impressive how hard he battled. Jarry better watch out. He could lose his starting job pretty easy.

As I said last night and during the game, Beauvillier is getting a ton on chance because he puts himself in scoring positions. His speed is nice to see as well. Pots two tonight. Another good game for him to build on. Anyone sleeping on Beauvillier needs a bit of a wakeup call.

As for everyone else, I mean DOC, Hayes, Pettersson, and Karlsson are on pace for 41 goals, and Beauvillier is on pace for 82 goals...what more could we ask for?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The Penguins will continue to look stellar against average and below average defenses, while looking absolutely helpless against teams that play structurally sound. And there are no amount of transactions or coaching changes this season that could realistically change that. That’s just what this roster is with the age of our star players.
Yeah like I said, this is one of the very rare instances where Sullivan is coaching against a coach that is actually worse than he is, there’s not a lot in the league like that, the other ones he’s hired as his Assistants for the US team.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Yeah like I said, this is one of the very rare instances where Sullivan is coaching against a coach that is actually worse than he is, there’s not a lot in the league like that, the other ones he’s hired as his Assistants for the US team.
I’m not going to say he’s a bad coach. He did some great things for this team. . . But his time needs to be up unless things turn around quickly this year, and I just don’t see that possibility.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I’m not going to say he’s a bad coach. He did some great things for this team. . . But his time needs to be up unless things turn around quickly this year, and I just don’t see that possibility.
Sullivan is a coach that imo, is someone that has not been humbled at all in his coaching experience. You would figure that stint in Boston would do it, but the arrogance he shows as a coach for this team is just insane. I think he can be a great coach but he has so many blokes telling him how amazing he is and how legendary he is that he will never get humbled. He just blames everything else as interfering him from being great.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
+ Thought Graves played one of his best games in a long time. Was winning battles and keeping it simple. That's how he needs to play

+ St. Ivany looked good too. Kid has a lot of poise with his ability to spin off forecheckers

+ EK was up and down but I thought from about halfway through the second period he started looking dominant

+ Blomqvist. Love to see mom and pop looking proud. Good for the kid. If he doesn't have a dominant first period the Pens lose this game. Yeah the Pens put up 6 but imagine the hole if Detroit had buried those grade As they were getting in the first?

+ Geno/Sid both looked good. Geno is skating with authority which is nice to see. Sid got us going like any captain should. The Pens had a huge weight lift off their backs with that first goal.

+ Bottom six in general. Hayes/Glass had good games. McGroarty did well with the limited ice time he got.

+ David Quinn coaching the Pens powerplay to actually work the puck down low. When teams have to respect that a little more it opens up plays like the EK goal. It's a small thing but last year the Pens spent all day just dicking around with the puck up top so teams just overloaded that and gg.

- Letang. He's in mid season brainless Letang form lol. I know he's better than this. Hopefully he gets his shit together soon.

- Sullivan barely playing McGroarty. Just send him down if he's not going to play. He needs to develop.
Just the first? Pens kept turning the puck over in their own end, if Detroit could actually finish, they would have destroyed the Penguins if Blom didn’t show up for this one.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Sullivan is a coach that imo, is someone that has not been humbled at all in his coaching experience. You would figure that stint in Boston would do it, but the arrogance he shows as a coach for this team is just insane. I think he can be a great coach but he has so many blokes telling him how amazing he is and how legendary he is that he will never get humbled. He just blames everything else as interfering him from being great.
Kinda sounds like Dan Bylsma.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You can’t be mentally weak and make it to the NHL as a regular, as well as be voted an all star (twice?).
Sure you can. Where did you come up with that? Once the pressure was heaped on his shoulders he started to fold. When he became ''the guy'' his career took a decided step backward once the pressure was on. Look at his playoff stats. He folds like a lawn chair!

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Beau was a killer against us with the Isles. Would be cool to see him regain some of that here
The thing I liked about him was he was always moving around, he never seemed to coast in his shifts, he’d try to get into every battle. You had to at least admire his …and mind you I almost threw up in my mouth even having the thought of typing this…sticktoitiveness…

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

I think Graves on the 3rd pairing can play this way sustainably. If he and St Ivany can turn into a quiet, reliable pairing, that will do wonders for this team. Letang and EK WILL figure their shit out.

Sure you can. Where did you come up with that? Once the pressure was heaped on his shoulders he started to fold. When he became ''the guy'' his career took a decided step backward once the pressure was on. Look at his playoff stats. He folds like a lawn chair!
As a goalie, you’re always the guy. He’s been playing in the top echelon of talent his whole career and has performed well enough to be among the top fraction of a percent of goalies in the league. He’s mentally stronger than 99% of posters on this board, even if that isn’t saying much.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
The thing I liked about him was he was always moving around, he never seemed to coast in his shifts, he’d try to get into every battle. You had to at least admire his …and mind you I almost threw up in my mouth even having the thought of typing this…sticktoitiveness…
We have a couple guys like that on the roster now in Bunting and Beauvillier. McG could grow into that kind of player. . . These are the kinds of players who will keep Crosby and Malkin as healthy as possible at this point. It’s just too bad we couldn’t find a way to retain Jake while getting them.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
Sacramento, CA
tenor.gif

We're good again!

Reactions: Lustaf

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
As a goalie, you’re always the guy. He’s been playing in the top echelon of talent his whole career and has performed well enough to be among the top fraction of a percent of goalies in the league. He’s mentally stronger than 99% of posters on this board, even if that isn’t saying much.
We can agree to disagree. He's not mentally strong in the least. And goalies are a different breed, that doesn't in and of itself make them mentally tough. You're conflating two different things. When the pressure is on his numbers sky rocket! That's not opinion, that's fact.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
We can agree to disagree. He's not mentally strong in the least. And goalies are a different breed, that doesn't in and of itself make them mentally tough. You're conflating two different things. When the pressure is on his numbers sky rocket! That's not opinion, that's fact.
It also doesn’t make someone mentally weak if they’ve underperformed in a small sample size, let alone underperformed at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad