Post-Game Talk: Game #2 Pens vs Wings: Much better game

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
One thing I thought Graves did tonight was use his body well to just eat checks and make plays out of it. He would do that rather than just chucking the puck away under pressure.

Marcus Pettersson does that so well. Graves should take a page out of his book with that. When you're that friggin big if some guy is trying to forecheck you just make them earn it and try to strip you. Don't just panic under pressure. You have that size. Use it.

When Graves plays like that he's much more effective.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One thing I thought Graves did tonight was use his body well to just eat checks and make plays out of it. He would do that rather than just chucking the puck away under pressure.

Marcus Pettersson does that so well. Graves should take a page out of his book with that. When you're that friggin big if some guy is trying to forecheck you just make them earn it and try to strip you. Don't just panic under pressure. You have that size. Use it.

When Graves plays like that he's much more effective.
One of the better games he's played in a Penguin uniform.

Reactions: Pancakes

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you can't move Jarry and you get comfortable with Blomy, I can see several teams being interested in Neds.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Got power to the house back - just finished the game.

Much better effort tonight- obviously against a team much more on par with our own. We still look very very very slow as a group - so they'll need to just find ways. Was happy to see Raks with Sid and the new formed Geno line looked pretty dope. Don't like our outright lack of physicality though...the wings just took liberties and had our group looking over their shoulder most of the game. A good team would have made us pay with that. I think Eller is our toughest forward at this point? lol

Also- I have to give Graves credit tonight. That's as good as we'll probably ever see him unfortunately....unless he takes some strides forward somehow. Kids' got hands of stone, can not make an outlet pass and has no confidence to do so either - but he can get stick on puck and break up plays for damned sure. I guess I'll take it. Something is better than nothing. Just - you'd almost rather a forward stay back to puck handle.

Be honest at the start I thought the team was going to mail it in.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I could see him fitting better with Malkin tbh. I don't think DOC has the short ice hockey sense to keep up with how Crosby likes to play. Malkin's easier to play with.
For sure. I think Rakell works better with Sid as well. It will be interesting to see what happens when Rust is back. I'm guessing:

Beau-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Raks
DOC-Eller-Puljujarvi
Hayes-Glass-Acciari
Both game charts show a very high individual offense rating for Beauvillier. Hate to pump his tires too much, but he's been a key offensive player for us in both games.

Reactions: Andy99 and Pancakes

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Jarry blows

Jarry is a killer goalie

IMG_6926.png

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Sullivan literally, was stone cold death stare, every time the camera zoomed in on him. Really incredible coaching display. Standing absolutely still, with a look of absolute disgust plastered to your face. I'm glad Quinn likes to communicate to the players. If standing around, looking angry is all you need to be considered one of the "2 of 3 best coaches in the NHL", where can I sign up?

Reactions: Ryder71

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
So long as "The Team" doesn't give up endless odd-man breaks a goalie looks good or bad.

I mean, Jarry was the issue last night?

Never change people.

Great on Blomqvist and Geno's 800.

He still gave up 3 goals, and he didn't face the top team of a year ago, or did the team face the best goalie of last year, tonight.

Reactions: Sorry

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Team was under fire in the first, especially on that power play. We had no business being down only 1-0 before getting a late goal to go into the second. With Jarry in net, I have no doubt its 3-0 going into the second again.

I also have no doubt 35 gets the net on Saturday and its more like the opener than tonight. Guy is just simply a loser and its a scenario where both parties need to move on. Its not happening here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Team was under fire in the first, especially on that power play. We had no business being down only 1-0 before getting a late goal to go into the second. With Jarry in net, I have no doubt its 3-0 going into the second again.

I also have no doubt 35 gets the net on Saturday and its more like the opener than tonight. Guy is just simply a loser and its a scenario where both parties need to move on. Its not happening here.
The Pens couldn't literally score on Shesterkin to gain any ground any momentum. They were behind the 8-ball from the outset to the games final horn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad