GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs Detroit - 8:00 PM - Werner: Fenway 'confident' in Dubas' vision for franchise

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Can we stop talking about tanking and getting the first pick in the draft? This is not the NFL. There is a draft lottery. You could be BAD and still only be rewarded with the second or third pick. Or get an Erik Johnson, or a Nail Yakupov or a Patrik Stefan.

Besides, this team will still have Mike Sullivan as head coach.
Sure, it's not guaranteed, but it gives you your best statistical chance at acquiring game breaking talent. How else would we go about getting it?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You could pick up a vet D in the offseason nearing the end for this purpose at a fraction of the cost. Asset management should be Dubas's only priority moving forward.
I'm a big believer top 4 D and especially top pairing quality (yes I think Petts is a top 30 LD) are hard to come by and sometimes the best asset management is to keep them.

Honestly it depends on the return for me. I do not think a UFA LD on the market will match or come close to his impact.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Really hope the pens "get to their game" tonight!!
They already have been …if you watched last night that pretty much sums up their game: terrible defense, goaltending and no finish…have I missed anything? Lol

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Screenshot 2024-10-10 at 1.35.00 PM.png
Just saw this in my e-mail.

Panic already?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
View attachment 914691Just saw this in my e-mail.

Panic already?
I think the arena's been looking pretty lean and lifeless for years. Dunno if this is an "already" situation.

The billionaire bros bought a team right on the cusp of a decade of miserable hockey. :laugh: They're gonna have to really lower prices to fill the arena, even with Sid and Geno still around. Once those two retire, yeesh.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The classic. "Why even bother?"

Well, cuz the guy's style nowadays sucks the life out of every player on the ice, and his fetishism of guys like late career Jeff Carter, Jensen Harkins, and ZAR makes me not want him anywhere near any premium prospects this team's gonna be coming into sooner than later.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The classic. "Why even bother?"

Well, cuz the guy's style nowadays sucks the life out of every player on the ice, and his fetishism of guys like late career Jeff Carter, Jensen Harkins, and ZAR makes me not want him anywhere near any premium prospects this team's gonna be coming into sooner than later.

Yeah they should just keep him.

He seems like he's gonna be a whiz-bang developmental coach.

He plays young guys all the time, after all. Just ask him. He probably won't give you a cogent answer but you can ask.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Yeah they should just keep him.

He seems like he's gonna be a whiz-bang developmental coach.

He plays young guys all the time, after all. Just ask him. He probably won't give you a cogent answer but you can ask.
"Uh, uh, Jake Guentzel!"

"Coach, that was seven years ago."

"No one knew who he was in 2017!"

"Again, that was 2017."

"Hockey is a game of momentum."

"What?"

"Hahvahd Yahd."

FSG: "Genius!"

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
"Changing coaches doesn't accomplish anything anymore, it's too late. No use."

Counterpoint; Mike Sullivan's style sucks shit, and he's about to be 7 years into a steady and steep string of failures so the team should fire him if they have any bit of dignity or accountability left.

Which they do not. So expect him to be with the team through the Olympics--where he inevitably embarrasses himself and Team USA.

Reactions: Darren McCord

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
"Changing coaches doesn't accomplish anything anymore, it's too late. No use."

Counterpoint; Mike Sullivan's style sucks shit, and he's about to be 7 years into a steady and steep string of failures so the team should fire him if they have any bit of dignity or accountability left.

Which they do not. So expect him to be with the team through the Olympics--where he inevitably embarrasses himself and Team USA.
Someone said it before but maybe Dubas is keeping Sullivan around to help sabotage Team USA.

That nerdy bastard!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What in the world is keeping Crosby playing for this team....
He'd have so much fun again being on a top club.

Pittsburgh is roached with or without him so........

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm just hoping Sullivan and the team mutually part ways after the 2025-26 season. That's about when they're gonna start getting those top-5 picks imo. There's a very real chance they'll be four seasons removed from making the playoffs by then.

Shit, if Sid doesn't keep evading father time, they might be in the running for a top-10 pick this year. The blueline's real bad, goaltending's volatile, and there's no depth beyond Sid and maybe Geno. /shrug

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just realized.... this is a gdt... there is _another_ game tonight?
:facepalm:
How much quit will the guys have tonight.... and how early

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What in the world is keeping Crosby playing for this team....
He'd have so much fun again being on a top club.

Pittsburgh is roached with or without him so........
His legacy is what's keeping him here. He wants to play for 1 team and 1 team only even if he misses the playoffs for like 4 or 5 years. I might disagree with it big time because a player like him should go out a champion on a contender but it's his choice to go out in a whimper instead of a bang.

Reactions: LOGiK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad