GDT: Game 2: Avalanche vs Flyers | October 6, 2018 | 7 PM MT

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Remember when Colbourne got a hatty in like game 1 last year? That's how I feel about Wilson right now, but I'd be glad to be wrong

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Guys hear me out. Colin Wilson is Landy ten years from now and he's used a time machine to re-live playing for the Avs during their epic cup run. I present exhibit A:

Yeah they look similar. I never noticed that Wilson was this big before. I don't know if he gained some muscles this summer or I wasn't paying attention but dude is pretty damn big.

Reactions: Pure

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No word on the first pairing? I thought they were good tonight. We have a solid top 4.

The problem is Zadorov and Barbs need to not play together. Does Nemeth play on the right side? Because if we keep that top 4 then Zadorov is becoming a 3rd pairing guy and it's not working with Barbs. Since I absolutely don't want to see Z playing on his weak side Nemeth will have to play on the right.

I said the other day in another thread that losing Z wouldn't be a disaster and got yelled at by the entire board. Tonight illustrated well what I meant.

I think Nemeth - Barbs is better balanced than Zadorov - Barbs or Zadorov - Nemeth.
First pairing was superb, I don't think they worth mentioning considering how dominant they were in this thread. However, I do think that both EJ and Girard tend to puck watch a tad too much for me. Besides that one hiccup by Barrie, they have not made a mistake while EJ/Girard allowed Parise to score. I am talking about tiny minuscule details here, everyone except Barbs has been above a "B" for me.

Personally, lets not trade any defender and develop from within. We can allow Lindholm and Barberio to go to free agency, keep Nemeth as a 7th, and get Makar/Timmins/Meloche challenge for that 6th spot role.

Reactions: Pure and Tommy G

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
natalie_portman_oh_my_god__by_amandabloom-d5zgr2w.gif
I would appreciate it if you didnt bring my wife into this thread. Thanks.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Guys hear me out. Colin Wilson is Landy ten years from now and he's used a time machine to re-live playing for the Avs during their epic cup run. I present exhibit A:

Do6hXbxVAAA6We4.jpg
Lauren looks at Landeskog just as adoringly, so that checks out.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
First pairing was superb, I don't think they worth mentioning considering how dominant they were in this thread. However, I do think that both EJ and Girard tend to puck watch a tad too much for me. Besides that one hiccup by Barrie, they have not made a mistake while EJ/Girard allowed Parise to score. I am talking about tiny minuscule details here, everyone except Barbs has been above a "B" for me.

Personally, lets not trade any defender and develop from within. We can allow Lindholm and Barberio to go to free agency, keep Nemeth as a 7th, and get Makar/Timmins/Meloche challenge for that 6th spot role.
We might actually be at a point where we have too many good defenceman. I don't want to start the trade Barrie argument again, but meloche might be able to fetch a forward. Having Timmins or Makar/Zadorov as a healthy scratch next season would not be ideal.

With Kaut / Bowers / OTT 1st / Potentially our 1st, and a couple guys looking to make an impact (Saigeon, Kamanev, Oconner) we could have a serious log jam, and the avalanche will be a tough team to make. Good times.

Reactions: Tommy G

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
We might actually be at a point where we have too many good defenceman. I don't want to start the trade Barrie argument again, but meloche might be able to fetch a forward. Having Timmins or Makar/Zadorov as a healthy scratch next season would not be ideal.

This is stupid, dmen are volatile, players like Nemeth and Barbeiro and Cole are volatile, good one year and bad the next. If you have good dmen then you try to keep them. If we get to the level of hoarding dmen to the point of it costing the team like Carolina did then we can complain.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
This is stupid, dmen are volatile, players like Nemeth and Barbeiro and Cole are volatile, good one year and bad the next. If you have good dmen then you try to keep them. If we get to the level of hoarding dmen to the point of it costing the team like Carolina did then we can complain.
I was talking about a time frame where those players aren't in the top 6 any more.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Hard not to be happy with how these past two games have gone. Especially with how Varly's played. Two big 3rd period's from him. Was worried about bringing in Grubauer and how that might affect him as it's the biggest statement of we're done with you he's gotten from Sakic but Varly has brought it two games in. Take one of the two games on the road and I'll be happy.

Reactions: MacBradley

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Interesting stats breakdown here.

Philadelphia Flyers @ Colorado Avalanche, 2018-10-06

I assumed we would see a little more of the same from last season, at least to start, where the "third" line acted as more of a de facto second line and get the second-most minutes (Bednar is still following up, for the most part, with that line immediately following a shift by the top line, at least by my observation).

But that's not the case. In fact, the third and fourth lines are almost identical in terms of ice time last night, and ice time was more or less evenly distributed, with the top line of course getting the most minutes.

It should surprise no one that Girard played the most minutes out of all blueliners.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I really liked Soderberg this game as well, nice assist on the second Wilson.

EJ getting the final assist is priceless.

Reactions: klozge

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Under no circumstances should Colin Wilson be re-signed lol. Great, great teammate and really hard worker, but unless he'd be willing to take a biiiiiiiig pay cut and play a 4th line role, no thanks.

Fantastic start to the season no doubt, but I don't expect him to keep up this pace. 24 goals combined from 2015-2018, there's a reason for that.

Reactions: McMetal and Avs44

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Watching the game again... this is going to be a fun season. <3

Edit: Listening to the Flyers' broadcast this time. Jones is absolutely unable to hide his love for this Avs team. Now I understand why the Flyers fans were so upset with the broadcasting. :D

Last edited:

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Interesting stats breakdown here.

Philadelphia Flyers @ Colorado Avalanche, 2018-10-06

I assumed we would see a little more of the same from last season, at least to start, where the "third" line acted as more of a de facto second line and get the second-most minutes (Bednar is still following up, for the most part, with that line immediately following a shift by the top line, at least by my observation).

But that's not the case. In fact, the third and fourth lines are almost identical in terms of ice time last night, and ice time was more or less evenly distributed, with the top line of course getting the most minutes.

It should surprise no one that Girard played the most minutes out of all blueliners.

(looking at 5v5)

And he played 10:30 against Couturier and Giroux.
And his off. zone faceoff% was 30%.

What a f***ing game for Girard.
We would be justifiably excited about him even if he was still being sheltered. Instead he's rising to the highest possible challenge.

We've got a Duncan Kieth on our hands.

(edit)
Then I noticed Chambers made the same comparison. And of course he got a ton of shit as always.

I stand by it though. Superb skating, stickwork, hockey IQ, and passing make Keith the most natural comparison.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
(looking at 5v5)

And he played 10:30 against Couturier and Giroux.
And his off. zone faceoff% was 30%.

What a ****ing game for Girard.
We would be justifiably excited about him even if he was still being sheltered. Instead he's rising to the highest possible challenge.

We've got a Duncan Kieth on our hands.
I don't think there is or has been (in recent memory) a defenseman you can compare to Girard. I'm not saying he's better than Keith was in his prime but he's unique.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
No word on the first pairing? I thought they were good tonight. We have a solid top 4.

The problem is Zadorov and Barbs need to not play together. Does Nemeth play on the right side? Because if we keep that top 4 then Zadorov is becoming a 3rd pairing guy and it's not working with Barbs. Since I absolutely don't want to see Z playing on his weak side Nemeth will have to play on the right.

I said the other day in another thread that losing Z wouldn't be a disaster and got yelled at by the entire board. Tonight illustrated well what I meant.

I think Nemeth - Barbs is better balanced than Zadorov - Barbs or Zadorov - Nemeth.
I think you might want to take a look at Z and Barbs advanced stats together last year, and it was a pretty substantial sample size. Something like 55% CF.

For the record, Z played the right side before he broke his leg with Beauchemin a few years back and looked very good doing so. A lot of European defenseman are trained that way. He looked fine doing it opening night too.

Reactions: avsfan09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad