GDT: Game 10: New York Rangers vs Carolina Hurricanes, 7pm, MSG (Back to NY)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Attending for the first time in a few seasons, any recommendations for a watering hole close to the garden to get some pregame beverages? I use to go to the Flying Puck before it closed

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's about matchups. We matchup well against Carolina. Not so well against NJ. Carolina matches up well against NJ. That means whoever can win the metro has a huge advantage if the other teams finish 2-3. Does that mean we can't beat the Devils, Devils can't beat Carolina and Carolina can't beat us? Of course not.
Gallants Rangers didn’t match up against Jersey.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Different Devils team this year, different Rangers team this year. We can see how we match up when we play them.

Gallants Rangers didn’t match up against Jersey.

That's fair, but Gallant also didn't ask them to be slower than NJ. That isn't going to change. Again, doesn't mean we can't beat anyone in a 7 game series. I know I would prefer to avoid NJ if possible.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That's fair, but Gallant also didn't ask them to be slower than NJ. That isn't going to change. Again, doesn't mean we can't beat anyone in a 7 game series. I know I would prefer to avoid NJ if possible.

The puck moves faster than any skater and the Devils need to show they can keep it out of their own net. As do the Canes as well for that matter.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

They defend way differently than they did last year though.

They're top 5 in the league in rush defense right now. I'm pretty sure they were 32 out of 32 last year.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Gallant never asked anything... we relied on elite goaltending and a PP. When the PP didn't work, we lost.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We're still relying on the powerplay.
and we're 12-12 at 5v5.... IT's been 9 games and we've started the season on a grueling road trip. It's not the same team at even strength. Our top9 is well above 50% xG...

Lavi has pressed this issue and says they need to be better at creating in the O-zone and getting goals. They are no where close to where they need to be. It will be fixed in time.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
and we're 12-12 at 5v5.... IT's been 9 games and we've startied the season on a grueling road trip. It's not the same team at even strength. Our top9 is well above 50% xG...

Lavi has pressed this issue and says they need to be better at creating in the O-zone and getting goals. They are no where close to where they need to be. It will be fixed in time.
They need to reroute some power from the defense to the offense. We have an elite goalie let’s use him .

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Gallant never asked anything... we relied on elite goaltending and a PP. When the PP didn't work, we lost.
Lav and this coaching staff is light years more prepared and detailed than the previous regime.

He literally said in his last presser that one of the most important things is what to do when the puck is no longer in their possession, not to increase the level of risk and what to do instead.

To me, thats the one thing that was completely missing from Gallant's "system" - there was little to no plan as to what to do and where to be once the forecheck didnt work and/or possession was lost. And thats what leads to tons of odd man rushes. We saw it all year and it culminated throughout the Devils series.

Daneyko was talking about the Rangers the other night and how they are clogging the neutral zone. Playing a much more structured brand of hockey. He knows its not going to be a cake walk for the Devils to get through zones like they did against them last season

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
RANGERS RUNDOWN

The New York Rangers return home for a Metropolitan Division matchup against the Carolina Hurricanes at MSG (7:00 PM ET - TV: MSG Network - Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM). New York will play four of its next five contests at home.
The Blueshirts have the third most wins (7) and points (14) in the NHL.
The Rangers are riding a five-game win streak and attempt to earn eight wins in their first 10 games for the second time in franchise history (Last: 1983-84 - 9-1-0).
Tonight, Artemi Panarin is set to play in his 600th career game.
The Rangers will begin a 12-game month of November slate tonight. Since 2015-16, the Blueshirts’ 60 wins in November are tied for second in the NHL behind Toronto’s 65.
The Rangers have power play goals in eight of their first nine games. New York’s 34.4 power play percentage is the second best in the NHL behind New Jersey’s 42.4 mark. The Rangers’ 11 power play goals are the third most in the NHL. The last time the Blueshirts had 11 or more power play goals in their first nine games of a season was the 2009-10 campaign (11 PPGs).
The Rangers have been over 50 percent in the faceoff circle in seven of nine games. Their 54.5 faceoff percentage ranks third in the NHL.
The Blueshirts have allowed the second fewest GA/GP (2.00) in the NHL and second fewest shots per game in the NHL (26.2).
The Blueshirts have won nine of their last 13 regular season games against the Hurricanes and have wins in 10 out of their last 15 games against them. At home, New York is 18-4-0 in its last 22 contests against Carolina.
New York’s four comeback victories are tied for the third most in the NHL and its two third-period comeback wins are tied for second in the league.
The Rangers’ defensemen have recorded 27 points, the fifth most in the NHL, and eight goals lead the league. 34.6 percent of all points recorded this season have come from defensemen, the highest mark in the NHL.
When scoring first, the Rangers are a league-best 5-0-0.
The Rangers complete a stretch of four consecutive games with each contest being in a different time zone (MT, PT, CT, ET) for the ninth time in franchise history. The last time they did this was in 2018-19.
RANGERS AND HURRICANES CONNECTIONS

Vincent Trocheck played parts of three seasons for the Hurricanes (2019-20 – 2021-22). From the time he was acquired by the Hurricanes on February 24, 2020 until 2021-22, Trocheck ranked third on the team in points (96), tied for third in assists (57), fourth in goals (39), and second in power play goals (14).
Rangers head coach Peter Laviolette was the head coach for the Hurricanes from 2003-04 to 2008-09, winning the Stanley Cup with the franchise in 2006.
Jesper Fast played parts of seven seasons with the Rangers (2013-14 – 2019-20). While playing for the Rangers, Fast received the Players Player Award five seasons in a row (2015-16 – 2019-20).
Tony DeAngelo played parts of four seasons with the Rangers (2017-18 – 2020-21).
Brady Skjei played parts of five seasons with the Rangers (2015-16 – 2019-20).
Antti Raanta played two seasons with the Rangers (2015-16 and 2016-17).
Adam Fox was acquired by the Rangers from Carolina on Apr. 30, 2019.
Brendan Lemieux played for the Rangers from 2018-19 to 2020-21.
Jack Drury is the nephew of Rangers president and GM Chris Drury

PANARIN IN PLACE FOR 600TH CAREER GAME
Tonight, Artemi Panarin will play in his 600th career NHL game (277 - NYR, 160 - CBJ, 162 - CHI). Since his first season in 2015-16, Panarin ranks second in assists (455), fourth in points (676), and sixth in plus/minus (+139). Panarin is the 44th player in NHL history to have 676 or more points through their first 600 games.

More notes at: Pregame Notes: Rangers vs. Hurricanes | New York Rangers

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
I was thinking the opposite. Maybe having two very similar-looking avatars of him was putting too much pressure on him to perform.

An idea that popped into mind was to continue Benjamin Buttoning my Lavi avy as the season goes on lol

No Howden avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad