Post-Game Talk: | Game #1 | Pens win over Yotes | Zucker and Geno appreciation thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Zucker:

• Never doubted him

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Doubted him

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I’m lying and I doubted him but won’t admit it

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Ugene Magic doesn’t care, so he made a new gif

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the Pens played a physical game when it was needed. Last year soft D just was a killer. give Hextall credit for the upgrades on D and probably will make a move or two down the road. Petry will take pressure off Letang and he didnt play on the PK until the 3rd period I believe. Teddy B adds so much on the PK and his smarts. He was missed somewhat. Poehling not sure what he is but he isn't Teddy B. Mcginn was a nothing burger and love to see him moved and if it takes an add so be it. He is not bad, jut not as impactful as his contract suggests.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One more comment on TOI: with Pettersson being used on the PK, the Penguins are suddenly getting a ton of special teams usage out of their blue line. When Smith gets back up, I think they'll be using all 6 defensemen with at least 1:30 of special teams minutes per game, which is a terrific way to distribute minutes.

If you assume the Penguins will have 5 minutes of PP and PK time per game, I think the numbers will be split really well:

PP: 3:30 for Letang, 1:30 for both Petry and Smith per game
PK: 3:00 for Rutta and Dumoulin, 2:00 for Pettersson and Petry per game

That's a great way to even out minutes for all of their players. Petry and Letang will still be notable minute eaters for this team, but both should be in the 22-24 minute range instead of the 25+ minute range. Everyone else should be getting regular minutes (more than 16 minutes a night) as well.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Fun game to watch which is all I give a shit about. The guys you'd want to show up, did. Arizona's complete dogshit though, so not much insight to be gained here, imo.

Glamor Toad

Jun 30, 2009
Poitiers
Good players looked good. Nobody looked bad. I don’t think it’s prudent to take much away from that game aside from the PK maybe needing to be better. Yotes aren’t a good measuring stick and they gooned it up for much of the game.

That said, thought the new guys from MTL were encouraging.
Was Poehlinalinaling good? I mean I noticed him in exactly once shift during the second and he had some puck fumbling but recovered well. It made me nervous for when he had less time and space.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Well they played a physical game against a team that is rebuilding their team... which I liked.. A win is a win.. looked like they had bigger bodies.. Hopefully they don't go lazy, lethargic looking the next game...

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
+++ That was way more fun to be at than the season opener in 2019, especially since my STH friend is probably giving up his tickets after this season for age reasons, so really glad it worked out that this is the one game I got to go to with him 🙌

+++ This is the best they've looked in any opener I've been to, which probably will mean very little by game 82, but a pleasant surprise 🙌

+++ Geno's skating looked really, really good, and clearly, he was feeling it, too

+ Credit where, the Yotes outplayed us through a lot of the second. The Pens woke back up after they scored.

- penalty-fest

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
A small thing but I loved how many times Zucker was used in the bumper spot tonight. He kept getting into that spot and firing heavy one timers. One of them went in. A few missed the net. They all looked dangerous.

Nice to see him taking heavy shots like that

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Great game one!!

Geno looks fast out there. Zuck causing havoc. Like to see it.

Petry looks really good at ES too.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Entertaining game. They came out buzzing. I know it was against an AHL team, but entertaining regardless.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Really happy with Petry and Rutta, just what we needed on this D. Those two combined take such a load off Letang. All the guys who really needed confidence boosts got them, Zucker, Kapanen, and Geno.

We actually have three NHL D men not in our starting 6. I think they are all probably better than POJ, but POJ isn't the end of the world as your #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad