Post-Game Talk: Game 1 Pens vs Rangers: It was ugly

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

I dont know whats up with all the puff pieces recently but these quotes are something:

Werner reiterated Fenway's belief in Sullivan, too, calling him "one of the two or three best coaches in hockey."
Fenway Sports Group chairman Tom Werner sat down with Sidney Crosby in March of last season when it looked like the Penguins' playoff hopes were all but dead.

"We're going to be better next year," Werner promised Crosby.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

IMG_0793.jpeg

canadianguy77

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2006
The y just get beat on the same play over and over again. It starts in the other end with a pass to a trailing defenseman or forward from somewhere near the circles that gets intercepted. Working on/tweaking that play or eliminating it and instead working the puck down low would automatically eliminate 50% of their odd man rushes against.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I also don't see why Sullivan steadfastly refuses to take goalies out after they give up a few bad ones early after its worked so consistently when opponents do it against his team.
Sullivan steadfastly refuses to do a lot of common sense things. So I'm not sure why it would be surprising at this point about any thing in particular. We're where we're at because Sullivan is a stubborn SOB and his coaching is killing the remainder of this core's career.

Reactions: EliteGoaltending

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I dont know whats up with all the puff pieces recently but these quotes are something:
What is this organization's obsession with insisting Sullivan is a great coach? It's like they spent too much on a kitchen remodel that looks terrible and secretly know deep down inside, but to anyone who'll listen they'll talk about how much they love the final product.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What is this organization's obsession with insisting Sullivan is a great coach? It's like they spent too much on a kitchen remodel that looks terrible and secretly know deep down inside, but to anyone who'll listen they'll talk about how much they love the final product.
They genuinely like him for some reason. I don't know what that reason is, because results certainly aren't it. It'd be one thing if JR and Mario were still running the team, but they aren't. Dubas and FSG have received nothing but miserable results from Sullivan. They owe him nothing.

FSG has deep pocketbooks so I can't imagine that his contract is to blame for him staying. I also think he'd get scooped up by some desperate team pretty quickly if he did get fired, and I'm sure FSG and Dubas both know that as well.

So why's he still here? The only answer to that is that FSG/Dubas both like him despite how shit the Pens have been, and that's terrifying.

canadianguy77

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2006
You watch some of the younger clubs around the league and you see them giving 110%. Even in their preseason games you see guys going all out and injuring themselves before the season even begins. You look at our team and the entire atmosphere around them seems like it’s so nonchalant.

You see it from the players in the game, you see it from the coach, you see it from the management, you see it from the fans. This is a team that if its going to make a run at the playoffs, has to go all out every game. That’s why it made no sense to sign any of the older players. We needed wingers for Sid and Geno that had shit to prove. Not guys who have already cashed in their biggest NHL paychecks.

And we needed the surrounding roster to be of the same mindset. They should’ve aimed for building an expansion team type roster on the fly. I think they could've stretched the competitive window out longer that way.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad