GDT: GAME 1 | PANTHERS VS SENATORS | THE ULLMARK ERA BEGINS | Thu Oct 10, 2024, 7PM

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Hell yeah! First of many to come on the season, let's go Jimmy Stu!
Can you tell me why so many refer to Stu as Jimmy Stu? Is it the name of some character I'm not familiar with? Just curious as I see a lot of posters calling him Jimmy instead of Timmy and enquiring minds want to know 😉.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Can you tell me why so many refer to Stu as Jimmy Stu? Is it the name of some character I'm not familiar with? Just curious as I see a lot of posters calling him Jimmy instead of Timmy and enquiring minds want to know 😉.
Brady called him that, the first time they met. Maybe Brady watched, It’s a wonderful life every Christmas

Reactions: BigRig4 and aragorn

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
One day after Game 1, some general thoughts:

- we all seem to agree that many of our wingers were unnoticeable or unengaged: Giroux, Tkachuk, Batherson among them. I wonder if this is a system problem or due to individual performances / babies?

- defensemen skating with the puck out of the zone, slowing the game down when needed: we didn't see enough of this. We saw instead some quick passing, which sometimes worked, especially in the first period, not so much the rest of the way. Is this a system decision, or was Chabot bad? Wish we had another D on our 3rd line who could do this, we used to have one...

- 4th line: as many predicted Gaudette is not a fit there. I didn't watch pre-season, so I can only rely on HFers observation than Jenik may be a better fit. I thought Cousins was good, and Gregor had his good moments where his speed shined. But I imagine next game they might just replace Gaudette with MacEwen.

Agree on everything but the 4th line is perfectly fine. Has everything of what one needs for it to be successful.

But I think we will see it best with Jenik there rather than Gaudette. But Gaudette really looks like a more matured player, I'd give him 3-4 more games to see if that line can get going, but I feel it will really shine with Jenik.

Reactions: DrEasy

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
What a great start.

Once the boys settle down and establish chem. They'll be awesome.

3 am where im at. Couldn't miss this one live.

I love that 3rd line. Ullmark looks so solid. I'm not holding my breath everytime they take a shot.
Wow, now that's dedication. So you're in Dubai?

I'm with you, 3rd line (APP line) is my favorite.

Ullmark comes as advertised. His record against the Panthers is incredible considering how good they are. Had 12 wins before tonight, now up to lucky 13. Loved his hat when he walked down the red carpet. Also liked how much love he was getting from the fans. He may end up giving Alfie a run for his money. Something about those Swedes 😉.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Brady came up with it. I am just guessing but Jimmy rhymes with Timmy. My older brother used to do that with me all the time when we were kids. I don't think there is much more to it than that.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
This fan base, or at least the ones on HF, is quickly becoming insufferable.

Last night, we beat the defending champs and one of the best teams in the league and people are still being pissy!!??

The Sens started off dominating play and built up a lead. Then Florida stormed back and played really well.

However, the defence blocked alot of shots, limited high danger opportunities and Ullmark carried the day.

How the f*** do you think beating top teams is going to happen? All our players are going to outshine all their players? 82 straight 10 nothing wins with a 75-25 corsi advantage?

The only take away from last night should be that this team looks more well rounded, Stutzle wrist is good enough for him to score 40 and Ullmark is a stud. The rest is TBD but trending in the right direction.

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
What a great start.

Once the boys settle down and establish chem. They'll be awesome.

3 am where im at. Couldn't miss this one live.

I love that 3rd line. Ullmark looks so solid. I'm not holding my breath everytime they take a shot.

I spent the last decade in Dubai and know that pain well.

I'm now mostly in London and the midnight starts are much better. 3am starts are an enigma - do you get up early or stay up late. Both are a bad answer!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I'm now mostly in London and the midnight starts are much better. 3am starts are an enigma - do you get up early or stay up late. Both are a bad answer!
You’ll like Mondays game then, 1pm EST, Thanksgiving holiday.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Team is up 2-1 on the defending champs in game one of a season with more optimism than we've seen in many years and Bruce is on TV fear-mongering about the cap situation two years from now.
The cap is going up $4M next year and likely another $4M the following year. I doubt Forsy will be here next year so that will help offset Ullmark's increase. G, if he stays, will probably get less than his current $6.5M so that will help to pay for Pinto when his contract comes up in 2 years. I don't see Riddler getting a huge raise. I think Kleven will also need a raise. I guess the amount will depend on his play this year. I think they'll be fine as most of the players currently in the line-up are locked up for next year except for G, Cousins and Gregor.

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
Pretty sure you will just get taken down doing that It's also actually illegal. There are plenty of free streaming options out there, so I don't see why you would need to do this for people. If you are hell bent on doing it, the easiest way would be to log in to your cable provider and load the game up digitally, then cast it to twitch, YouTube, kick, whatever you choose. I would make it private though, so there is less chance you get caught. I will say doing this from your ISP without hiding yourself is pretty dumb and not a risk I would take.
I lied it was for myself. But not worried about infringement. There are literally decades of full games on YT.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Then Florida stormed back and played really well.
tenor.gif

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wow, now that's dedication. So you're in Dubai?

I'm with you, 3rd line (APP line) is my favorite.

Ullmark comes as advertised. His record against the Panthers is incredible considering how good they are. Had 12 wins before tonight, now up to lucky 13. Loved his hat when he walked down the red carpet. Also liked how much love he was getting from the fans. He may end up giving Alfie a run for his money. Something about those Swedes 😉.

Yea it's insane but it has given me the most disciplined schedule. I wake up now at 4 am watch the game(usually the game is half done but by the time I skip intermissions I get caught up right as it finishes in real-time and I go the gym and stuff).

So, technically, it's made me a better man :laugh:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
People are praising Ullmark for good reason, but we were not as bad as people say. At all. We took the game to them first half of the game.

Until middle of the second, they had like 14 shots on goal to our 25. They also came to play, it's not like they weren't on their game. They were really on their game.

We did not allow a single odd-man rush all game. And a can barely recall very dangerous chances against. That's tremendously impressive against the high flying Panthers.

The only real thing was how often Hamonic was hemmed in. However, this was against the cup champs. But it is very clear that his legs and his hands are quite behind. This would be ok if he was playing with someone much better than him, but he is playing with a rookie. Kleven was really good, but we can't keep expecting a really good rookie to help bail out a veteran.

I also did see our D at large struggle to move the puck. Hamonic, Chabot, Zub and even Jensen at times. But that should be quickly rectified with more games.

What I did love was the physicality. The panthers tried using speed, and we matched it. They tried using physicality, and we matched it. They tried to activate their D, we activated ours(not as well, and that's where they took over the game in second half).

That was a very impressive win by the Sens. Those are wins we need to make playoffs, where we win and preform solidly against a top team that came to play, while we still also had stuff we could have done better at.

Thr lack of odd man rushes against was what stood out to me.

They made mistakes, they got hemmed in at times, but Florida is a terrific team and they will capitalize and push like that.

It's only one game... but the big time turnovers at center ice and the utter scrambling in their own zone that plagued the senators all last season was virtually non existent last night.

Who knows what rhe rest of rhe season holds. But its a very very promising start.

Stutzle and Sanderson look utterly poised to take a big step

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
  • Wow

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I really liked Klevins game, that was the first time I seen him be very physical. The issue was clearly Hamonic not giving him an option 90% of the time they were out there, Klevin had to do everything himself and had to carry that liability with him on the first game against the hardest forecheck in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad