GDT: Game 1 : New York Rangers @ Pittsburgh Penguins , 7:30 ET (TNT, Max)

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The last good season he had was 2021-22. Outside of like, half of that year where he was amazing, he hasn't really been a good NHL player.
Just out of curiosity, how are you defining "good NHL player"? 80th percentile at his position? Above the median? Above average? I mean, by definition about half the players in the NHL are below average, right? Does that mean half the players in the league are not good NHLers?
Not being a dick, genuinely trying to get a handle on what we are talking about as far as being a good NHLer.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Just out of curiosity, how are you defining "good NHL player"? 80th percentile at his position? Above the median? Above average? I mean, by definition about half the players in the NHL are below average, right? Does that mean half the players in the league are not good NHLers?
Not being a dick, genuinely trying to get a handle on what we are talking about as far as being a good NHLer.

The way I see many people define "good player" on this board makes 95% of the league out to be bad.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's one of those things that's negligible but I still wanna know why.

Miller is seen as a more long term fixture on the teams blueline IMO and I think they're still iffy on whether Jones is gonna be a guy who's sticking around.
So...you see if you can develop your long term guy

Just my thoughts

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is just one metric, but in terms of the Rangers scoring goals when he's on the ice over the last two years, he's right in the 50th percentile.

In terms of giving up goals, he's in the 32nd percentile. Opponents score a f***ton of goals when he's on the ice.

When I say he's not very good, he's literally not very good. Most defenseman are better than him.

For comparison, Fox is in the 80th percentile at scoring goals and the 93rd percentile at preventing goals, and both of them play with bad partners.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Gustafsson had a PPP in 3 games last year that he/Fox both played it. It really doesn't matter who is on the point on PP2. They will get a handful of points at most and it will make no meaningful difference. You're talking maybe a goal or two over the course of the season and you'll never discern the difference because the effect of variance will far overwhelm anything else.

They are probably best off either just not playing PP2 at all, or playing 2D on the unit since it's basically just a time killer until 5v5 and that way they aren't disadvantaged when the penalty ends.

Reactions: Ail

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
The last good season he had was 2021-22. Outside of like, half of that year where he was amazing, he hasn't really been a good NHL player.
classic machinehead. makes a determination - using different criteria for each player, of course - and sticks to it in the face of any and all contradictory evidence.

switch k'andre miller and jalen chatfield the last 2 years, and machinehead would say the exact opposite.

The rangers style of play largely suppresses analytical success while still contributing to winning hockey games.

Reactions: TominNC

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
classic machinehead. makes a determination - using different criteria for each player, of course - and sticks to it in the face of any and all contradictory evidence.

switch k'andre miller and jalen chatfield the last 2 years, and machinehead would say the exact opposite.

The rangers style of play largely suppresses analytical success while still contributing to winning hockey games.
Seems really disingenuous to compare Miller to a guy who's firmly a #6 in an attempt to bring up roles.

Only Adam Fox played more minutes than Miller did. Take all the guys #2 on their team in minutes and almost all of them will be better than Miller.

He's an ok defenseman at best getting first pair usage because that's what we just randomly decided.

Reactions: Ruggs225

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Can't wait for Fox's new celly, which is motioning his hands like he's making a bagel with lox.

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Meanwhile, Shesty commissioned a Million Dollar Belt to be made just for him
IMG_1429.png

Everybody’s Got A Price!

Everybody’s Gonna Pay!

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Tired of their obsession with Brodzinski a 30 year old minor league scrub didnt make the NHL until the Rangers were desperate. I miss the days when the Rangers had Dom Moore Blair Betts, Colton Orr Carcillo Dorsett Prust young players not some 30 year old AHL lifer that cant score but can score in Hartford. Waive him already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad