GDT: Game 1 - Avs @ Knights - Rockstar Rookie Revue - 8PM

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It’s been more than this game or last year. The mistakes have been growing, they’ve played softer, the 5v5 offensive impact is lessening while having more and more instances of defensive issues. It isn’t that they aren’t great… it is more that they are not the best or should be even better in that conversation. To me, the most major difference has been Toews slipping defensively.
I get what you saying but is it really Toews slipping defensively or our goaltending is getting worse and worse? After game 1 vs the Jets last playoffs Georgiev started playing better and everyone else looked better. We need better goaltending the most right now

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I just want CMac to actually do something about this.

Chicago has Mrazek, Brossoit and Soderblom.

San Jose has Blackwood and Vanecek.

Detroit has Husso, Lyon and Talbot.

Surely ONE of those guys could shake loose - preferably two if you send Georgiev the other way - and at least be somewhat better.

I am not asking for the moon here.
At this point I'd literally take anyone other than what we have. We have the two worst goalies in the league bar none. Everyone is better than what we have.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
This is BS we gave up like what 20 shots in a road game. The defense was fine, the goalies shit the bed.

You can't play a perfect game, it's rarely going to happen. At worst we should have won 4-2 tonight. With a decent goalie it's probably a 4-0 laugher in favor of the Avs.
Agreed. If they had (and stop me if you've heard this one before) even AVERAGE goaltending, they would not only be perennial Cup favorites, but perennial Presidents' Trophy favorites as well. Instead, it's been a battle through hell just to compete for the division lead.

Reactions: chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yep I can't believe people still blame the defense. The Avs rarely give up more than 30 shots, even 25, a game. Yet their goaltending lets in 4-7 every time. YOu just can't expect all 12 forwards and 6 dmen to play a flawless game, at some point your goalie has to make a big save once in awhile instead of letting in every single decent scoring chance.

So when can Nabokov come over?
Like I'd take a b rate minor league goalie over the guys we have. Anyone that can put up .900 would be acceptable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I get what you saying but is it really Toews slipping defensively or our goaltending is getting worse and worse? After game 1 vs the Jets last playoffs Georgiev started playing better and everyone else looked better. We need better goaltending the most right now
A lot of things back up the slipping vs pure goals.

I don’t think the Avs looked good against Dallas. That was the most lopsided of all 2nd round series.

Goaltending is more pressing than Toews’ struggles, but to contend, both (and other things) need solved. The margin of error for a team this thin is too small.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
gif_482x199_633431.gif

I am getting tired of the 25% rule at this point.

The biggest LOL is when Bednar decided to f*** it and play with the empty net for five minutes lol.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
If Seattle offered Grubs @ 50% for George... do you take the gamble?
Absolutely not. Shaving a couple-hundred thousand off of the cap to be saddled with the same exact guy, but for 3 more seasons would be Cup window suicide. I'd rather take on that horrendous Ullmark contract. At least that guy would give you a legitimate chance for the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Not sure Miles Wood survives this year.
What about the next 4?

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
A lot of things back up the slipping vs pure goals.

I don’t think the Avs looked good against Dallas. That was the most lopsided of all 2nd round series.

Goaltending is more pressing than Toews’ struggles, but to contend, both (and other things) need solved. The margin of error for a team this thin is too small.
I’m not worried about Toews. We need better goaltending and the 3 top 6 forwards which we’re missing right now

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR I thought the two rookies were…shaky, but decent. Can’t ask for too much but I’d like Ritchie to settle down a bit and get that shot on net.

Mittelstadt is an enormously smart player, really wish the Avs could put a star winger on his line.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’m not worried about Toews. We need better goaltending and the 3 top 6 forwards which we’re missing right now
It’s concerning that he’s making such fundamental mistakes. He played that odd-man rush HORRIBLY, though IMO that might have been a direct result of not trusting your goalie to make the stop.

Still, he’s the team’s top shutdown guy. He’s gotta be better.

They better pray that Annunen steps up.
He won’t. And to be fair, it’s because he can’t.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It’s concerning that he’s making such fundamental mistakes. He played that odd-man rush HORRIBLY, though IMO that might have been a direct result of not trusting your goalie to make the stop.

Still, he’s the team’s top shutdown guy. He’s gotta be better.
You guys are forgetting that we’re missing 3 great two way wingers who are 3 of the best defensive forwards in the league. No team can over come that

Reactions: chet1926

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You guys are forgetting that we’re missing 3 great two way wingers who are 3 of the best defensive forwards in the league. No team can over come that
Oh, I'm very well aware.

I'm also aware that we've got no answer in goal. The recipe for wearing out the big guns early and often... Having a goalie that forces a team to score anywhere between 5 and 11 goals a night to get 2 points.

My night from Mikko's opening goal on, in one .gif....

Laugh-Cry.gif

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Season-Opener, 8 goals on 21 shots against and our hot topic is our "goalies".....

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Who would have thought.....

This experiment in net needs to end asap. This team is just not that good or deep anymore to cover that bullshit-Bingo between the pipes.

And they lost all trust in this goaltending.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
No team can overcome horrible goaltending, unless that team is incredibly stacked.

The Avs even with the injuries would do just fine if someone could make a damn save. Expecting perfection defensively just doesn't work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad