GDT: Game 1 - Avs @ Knights - Rockstar Rookie Revue - 8PM

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We needed better goaltending and better game from Makar and Toews tonight. I’m not worried about Toews and Makar. They’ll get it going, but goaltending is another story
I’m worried about Toews. He’s been slipping for a while and that impact has been noticeable. It is either dragging Makar down, or he covered up more than we give him credit for. They won’t be horrible this year, they’ll actually be fantastic… but they don’t look anywhere near the best pairing in the league.

Reactions: The Merchant

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I’m worried about Toews. He’s been slipping for a while and that impact has been noticeable. It is either dragging Makar down, or he covered up more than we give him credit for. They won’t be horrible this year, they’ll actually be fantastic… but they don’t look anywhere near the best pairing in the league.
Toews isn't as reliable as he used to be. He still isn't bad, but he used to be absolute elite. For example that doubleminor is something he wouldn't have taken two years ago.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
If this team can get .905-.910 goaltending they can win a f***ing cup lol.

Why the F*CK is that so hard????
Because they made the mistake of having the stars align on a ridiculously deep super team carrying a historically bad goaltening performance through a historically good Cup run. They've been trying and failing to replicate it ever since.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I mean it’s hard to look like the best pairing in the world when every single mistake ends up in the back of the net. Often goalies bail out the d-men who make mistakes and d-man should do better job at helping out the goalie. We didn’t get any of that tonight. The D outside of Manson was pretty bad. Malinski and de Haan were ok, didn’t really have issues with that pairing but the rest was bad, and Georgiev definitely didn’t help any of that

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I agree, especially defensively. Vegas isn't anymore the powerhouse they used to be, but with that kind of defensive effort you will lose to them every single time.
This is BS we gave up like what 20 shots in a road game. The defense was fine, the goalies shit the bed.

You can't play a perfect game, it's rarely going to happen. At worst we should have won 4-2 tonight. With a decent goalie it's probably a 4-0 laugher in favor of the Avs.

Reactions: HockeyFan100

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Team played better than I expected. Some bad mistakes but controlled the play more than should be expected with that lineup.

I had pretty low expectations for the goaltending but man was that ugly. I expected to lose that game by 1-2 because the goalies couldn't cover for whatever mistakes were made but it genuinely felt like any good chance Vegas ended up in the back of the net.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I just want CMac to actually do something about this.

Chicago has Mrazek, Brossoit and Soderblom.

San Jose has Blackwood and Vanecek.

Detroit has Husso, Lyon and Talbot.

Surely ONE of those guys could shake loose - preferably two if you send Georgiev the other way - and at least be somewhat better.

I am not asking for the moon here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean it’s hard to look like the best pairing in the world when every single mistake ends up in the back of the net. Often goalies bail out the d-men who make mistakes and d-man should do better job at helping out the goalie. We didn’t get any of that tonight. The D outside of Manson was pretty bad. Malinski and de Haan were ok, didn’t really have issues with that pairing but the rest was bad, and Georgiev definitely didn’t help any of that
It’s been more than this game or last year. The mistakes have been growing, they’ve played softer, the 5v5 offensive impact is lessening while having more and more instances of defensive issues. It isn’t that they aren’t great… it is more that they are not the best or should be even better in that conversation. To me, the most major difference has been Toews slipping defensively.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I don't understand how can you go into the season with Georgiev as the starter and dream of contending. Just a terrible goaltender that will sink any team.

Reactions: The Moops

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
This is BS we gave up like what 20 shots in a road game. The defense was fine, the goalies shit the bed.

You can't play a perfect game, it's rarely going to happen. At worst we should have won 4-2 tonight. With a decent goalie it's probably a 4-0 laugher in favor of the Avs.
Yep I can't believe people still blame the defense. The Avs rarely give up more than 30 shots, even 25, a game. Yet their goaltending lets in 4-7 every time. YOu just can't expect all 12 forwards and 6 dmen to play a flawless game, at some point your goalie has to make a big save once in awhile instead of letting in every single decent scoring chance.

So when can Nabokov come over?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad