GDT: G10: Habs @ Wild 7pm CT (BSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
JEE will be 26, as Kaprizov and Greenway. They are all from the same draft.

Well I'll hate trading JEE is Jan, Greenway in Feb, and Duhaime/Kap at the TDL/draft. Is that better?

This would be just an awful team. Addison as the 1D just doesn't give me the warm and fuzees.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I didn't realize Spurgeon picked up a roughing penalty in the first scrum at the end of game. Odd for him to take any penalty.

Total penalty minutes ended up and MTL: 45, MN:21. It was MTL:6, MN:4 until the last 80 secs of the game.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's cool to see Shaw doing well for you guys!!... Do you guys feel he is now here to stay up with the Wild?.. he was awesome in junior and also strictly stat watching it looked like he had a great AHL season last year finishing with 52 points and 106 pims.... I'm hoping he always brings that style of game in the NHL now

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I didn't realize Spurgeon picked up a roughing penalty in the first scrum at the end of game. Odd for him to take any penalty.

Total penalty minutes ended up and MTL: 45, MN:21. It was MTL:6, MN:4 until the last 80 secs of the game.
In one of the replays you could see that Spurgeon was in a tussle with someone who thought he was easy pickings. Turns out that spurge was giving it to him a little bit, albeit with his gloves on. Doesn’t surprise me. He’s an overachiever, and combine that with him being a prairie boy and you’re more or less going to have some toughness. He just doesn’t use it most of the time because it’s not an intelligent use of his talents

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's cool to see Shaw doing well for you guys!!... Do you guys feel he is now here to stay up with the Wild?.. he was awesome in junior and also strictly stat watching it looked like he had a great AHL season last year finishing with 52 points and 106 pims.... I'm hoping he always brings that style of game in the NHL now
Maybe? There are a lot of injuries right now upfront, so he definitely will be getting some games. If he is anything close to what he has been so far up here, I think he’s got a job. He’s quick on the forecheck, which is a must for a fourth liner in my opinion, and surprisingly able to hang in there against physical players. He battles with all but the toughest, and with those ones he has a tendency to bait them into taking penalties.
Throw in the bit of offense that he has shown, and I would bet that Guerin moves one of steel or Jost before he exposes Shaw to waivers

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Maybe? There are a lot of injuries right now upfront, so he definitely will be getting some games. If he is anything close to what he has been so far up here, I think he’s got a job. He’s quick on the forecheck, which is a must for a fourth liner in my opinion, and surprisingly able to hang in there against physical players. He battles with all but the toughest, and with those ones he has a tendency to bait them into taking penalties.
Throw in the bit of offense that he has shown, and I would bet that Guerin moves one of steel or Jost before he exposes Shaw to waivers
Oh Shaw would have to clear waivers if the Wild wanted to send him to the AHL??

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh Shaw would have to clear waivers if the Wild wanted to send him to the AHL??
I think so yeah. He’s a 2017 draft isn’t it? If he doesn’t have to clear waivers, then it makes his position on the team a bit more iffy, But if he keeps playing the way he is he’s not going back down.

I think so yeah. He’s a 2017 draft isn’t it? If he doesn’t have to clear waivers, then it makes his position on the team a bit more iffy, But if he keeps playing the way he is he’s not going back down.
Yeah just checked, he’s got to go through waivers before being sent down.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah just checked, he’s got to go through waivers before being sent down.
Oh ok... So basically he will most likely be in the NHL this season then... If not with Minny, someone else would probably claim him I'd think if waived

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He already had to clear the waivers during preseason when sent down.

I imagine he would get claimed now if it happened again.
It's only been a few games, but i would imagine that BG would rather expose Steel/Jost than Shaw. Shaw just seems to fit the mold of a 4th liner better- despite his size, he's much grittier than the other two. The hope with Steel and Jost was that they'd blossom into skilled, productive, offensive players, but it was always a longshot.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He already had to clear the waivers during preseason when sent down.

I imagine he would get claimed now if it happened again.

It's something like 10 games or 30 cumulative days on the NHL roster before needing waivers again.

Who gets sent down (or traded) is a bridge you cross when you get to it. Dewar, Jost, Rossi, Shaw, or Steel could all be options.
-Rossi is waivers exempt and a 2-way contract.
-Shaw is a 2-way contract with RFA rights ($788k QO).
-Dewar is a 1-way contract with a 2 year deal.
-Steel is a 1-way contract with RFA rights ($867k QO)
-Jost is a 1-way contract with RFA rights ($2.25m QO)

Reactions: Wasted Talent

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It's something like 10 games or 30 cumulative days on the NHL roster before needing waivers again.

Who gets sent down (or traded) is a bridge you cross when you get to it. Dewar, Jost, Rossi, Shaw, or Steel could all be options.
-Rossi is waivers exempt and a 2-way contract.
-Shaw is a 2-way contract with RFA rights ($788k QO).
-Dewar is a 1-way contract with a 2 year deal.
-Steel is a 1-way contract with RFA rights ($867k QO)
-Jost is a 1-way contract with RFA rights ($2.25m QO)
Of those 5, I see Jost and Dewar as the most likely, or should I say make the most sense, to be sent down based upon performance and contracts.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's only been a few games, but i would imagine that BG would rather expose Steel/Jost than Shaw. Shaw just seems to fit the mold of a 4th liner better- despite his size, he's much grittier than the other two. The hope with Steel and Jost was that they'd blossom into skilled, productive, offensive players, but it was always a longshot.
He cleared prior to his call up, he has to play 10 games I believe before he'd have to clear again. He hasn't played enough to trigger that yet.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He cleared prior to his call up, he has to play 10 games I believe before he'd have to clear again. He hasn't played enough to trigger that yet.
I'm not clear on the rules. i know that there is a 30 day period where he is waiver exempt after he clears, i think?

Looked it up. It's 30 days, or 10 gp, before he has to clear. So, if a couple/three guys get healthy, say Duhaime, Greenway, Foligno, in the next couple of weeks or so then they can send down Shaw w/o fear of him being claimed.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Of those 5, I see Jost and Dewar as the most likely, or should I say make the most sense, to be sent down based upon performance and contracts.

I think the fans see things differently than the GM/coach do with players.
-Based on statistical performance Rossi and Jost should be the 1st options.
-Based on waivers exempt status Rossi (and Boldy) should be the 1st option.
-Based on real money (2-way deals) Rossi and Shaw should be the 1st options.

I have no idea if/how Dewar, Jost, Shaw, and Steel fits with GMBG's planning. If he wants to keep them all then the waivers exempt and/or least likely to be claimed get sent down 1st. If he is fine losing/wants gone any of them (Pitlick last year) then they should be the 1st choice.

Reactions: BagHead

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I think the fans see things differently than the GM/coach do with players.
-Based on statistical performance Rossi and Jost should be the 1st options.
-Based on waivers exempt status Rossi (and Boldy) should be the 1st option.
-Based on real money (2-way deals) Rossi and Shaw should be the 1st options.

I have no idea if/how Dewar, Jost, Shaw, and Steel fits with GMBG's planning. If he wants to keep them all then the waivers exempt and/or least likely to be claimed get sent down 1st. If he is fine losing/wants gone any of them (Pitlick last year) then they should be the 1st choice.
Oh, that's absolutely the case.

To caveat, I'm indifferent on Rossi staying up or being sent down. I see some promise, but often looks like a deer in headlights (JMO).

I barely notice if Jost or Dewar is even playing. Sure, they're names get called a few times but are generally very blah.

Steel, I've seen some flashes. Some, not a lot.

Shaw has been great in the 4th line role. Not many mistakes and doing good things.

That's how I'm seeing things and not sure if that helps or hurts my case

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dewar is better able to play a grinding game than Steel or Jost. He is overall a better two way player than Jost, Steel, or Shaw.

The thought with obtaining Steel and Jost in the 1st place would be that they'd realize their scoring potential that they showed in junior/college. The further they get away from those years, the less likely it is, but i get what Guerin was trying to do. They are sort of the anti Freddy Gaudreau's. First round picks that showed high end offensive talents in lower leagues.

So far i've seen zero toughness and grit, below average ability win board battles, and minimal offensive output from Steel and Jost. I don't think they have th ability to grind better- they need to start providing secondary scoring(i.e. F. Gaudreau)if they want to be kept around. At his point, i'm seeing Ryan Donuto's - bit of flash, no substance.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Oh, that's absolutely the case.

To caveat, I'm indifferent on Rossi staying up or being sent down. I see some promise, but often looks like a deer in headlights (JMO).

I barely notice if Jost or Dewar is even playing. Sure, they're names get called a few times but are generally very blah.

Steel, I've seen some flashes. Some, not a lot.

Shaw has been great in the 4th line role. Not many mistakes and doing good things.

That's how I'm seeing things and not sure if that helps or hurts my case

I think Shaw has made the most of his opportunity so far. He's the only one playing like his job is on the line, for lack of a better description. There is an urgency to his game, maybe?

The rest might as well be the same player: a small C/W that doesn't do much of anything to move the needle for the team.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Look at these idiots messing with our guys. Do we have the answer? No...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes, outscoring them. A little embarrassing for them that they need their 6'4" guys to deal with Rossi's physicality.

Well the victim was 6'3 240, you can't send out a smaller guy when a guy like that was already embarrassed by Rossi's physicality

• Haha
Reactions: TaLoN and BagHead

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad