G Samuel Montembeault (2015, 77th, FLA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Not a whole lot has been said about the Armada's keeper but last week I read an article in Le Journal de Montréal that touted Montembeault as a possible 1st rounder this june.

Montembeault had a rough start to his season as the team was entering a rebuild but once again the group assembled by Joël Bouchard has defied critics and now sits atop the Q standings tied with Rimouski and Moncton (a team they just demolished 8-3 yesterday).

Standing at 6'3 he has a 2.62 GAA and a .894% with 1 SO and 22 W in 35 games which is very respectable stats for the Q.

Another interesting note he is the 4th straight goalie out of the Armada pipeline (dating back to the Montreal Juniors days) to be considered as a potential NHLer;

Jake Allen now a backup with STL
Jean-François Bérubé a 4th round pick by the LAK
Étienne Marcoux signed an AHL deal with ANA last summer

And now Montembeault a potential NHL draft pick in 2015. Keep an eye on him!

Last edited:

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Big fan, also a little surprised he doesn't get talked about too often. Definitely expect him to be drafted.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Just an FYI scouts should really pay attention to the Armada and the player development done by Bouchard and his staff. In only 3 years and a half of existence and without anyone being considered as 1st round talent they have:

Christopher Clapperton 5th round FLA
Cédric Paquette now a full-time NHLer with TB
Xavier Ouellet a future top-4 D with DET
Marc-Olivier Roy a 2nd round pick with EDM
Étienne Marcoux who signed an AHL deal with ANA
Daniel Walcott a 5th round pick by the NYR

So off the current roster pay close attention to:

G Sam Montembeault - as mentionned above, 2015 NHL draft
F Nikita Jevpalovs - a pure sniper (overager, interesting UFA prospect right here)
F Brandon Hamelin - solid rookie, 2015 eligible
D Guillaume Beaudoin - invited to ANA training camp last Sept
F Miguel Picard - possible 2016 draftee
F Tyler Hylland - possible 2016 draftee
F Alex Katerinakis - possible 2016 draftee
D Olivier Schingh-Gomez - possible 2016 draftee

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
I made a quick search to found his thread but it appears he doesn't have one.

Pretty good goalie, just got draft by the Panthers in the 3rd round, and he is among the three goalies that got invited to Team Canada Junior hockey camp.

Saw him a couple of times and I found him pretty good, he is tall (6'3) but slim (170lbs) but show good promising stuff.

But apart form this, I don't know him very much. Do you guys have any infos or scouting about himself? I'm curious!

Thanks!

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Relieving to have a potential top goalie prospect. Undo stress about our goalie situation for me. A lot of talk about the young talent we have along with other teams, but unlike other teams we've continued to have this mysteriously unnecessary hole in our talent pool.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Relieving to have a potential top goalie prospect. Undo stress about our goalie situation for me. A lot of talk about the young talent we have along with other teams, but unlike other teams we've continued to have this mysteriously unnecessary hole in our talent pool.

I do think Montembeault could be a guy who really benefits from a longer, protracted, patient sort of development approach. Which would worry me a bit with Florida; as kind of implied above, Florida haven't exactly had the most sparkling record in goaltender development. But with his athletic ability and demeanor, the upside has to be really exciting.

MongolKing

Mar 6, 2015
Didn't get invited to Team Canada's WJC camp. The numbers don't look good but the Armada aren't necessarily the best team either (but they are 6th best in GA).

How has he looked so far this season?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The Armada just pulled off the biggest upset in CHL history and the main reason for that is Samuel Montembeault.

Take it from me the Armada really dont have a team to go to the 2nd round they didnt deserve this at all. Montembeault is shining and showing the world what he is made of. He shut the door on Aube-Kubel, Julien Gauthier, Anthony Richard and Anthony Beauregard of the Foreurs.

Makes you wonder why Team Canada was so hell-bent on giving Blackwood the net at the WJCs...

Take into account his development, his skillset, his frame... it looks like Sam has everything that it takes to make the NHL as a starter. He looks poised to be Luongo's replacement in Florida.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
The Armada just pulled off the biggest upset in CHL history and the main reason for that is Samuel Montembeault.

Take it from me the Armada really dont have a team to go to the 2nd round they didnt deserve this at all. Montembeault is shining and showing the world what he is made of. He shut the door on Aube-Kubel, Julien Gauthier, Anthony Richard and Anthony Beauregard of the Foreurs.

Makes you wonder why Team Canada was so hell-bent on giving Blackwood the net at the WJCs...

Take into account his development, his skillset, his frame... it looks like Sam has everything that it takes to make the NHL as a starter. He looks poised to be Luongo's replacement in Florida.

Biggest upset in CHL history? How do you figure? Just last year 14th seed Gatineau beat 3rd seed B-L-B. Must have been bigger upsets than that in past also.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Biggest upset in CHL history? How do you figure? Just last year 14th seed Gatineau beat 3rd seed B-L-B. Must have been bigger upsets than that in past also.

Largest point differential upset in Q history at 40 points in the difference.

previous was 37 in 1999, not sure about other OHL/WHL.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This guy will be a starter in the AHL next season.

He was a rock tonight in a 1-0 OT loss against the powerful Huskies.

Also got a shutout in game 1 of this series.

He looks absolutely amazing out there.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
What type of goalie is he? Who would you compare him to...?

I am not an expert on goalies, far from it. But he is a big athletic goalie that plays the butterfly style. Very quick and agile and doesnt seem to have any weaknesses. Very calm and poised. He plays the high percentage game where he gets down on his knees and the puck usually hits him and he never is out of position. His rebound control is superb as well.

Very impressive in all aspects to me. I wouldnt know who to compare him to as in NHL I mostly watch the Habs, but he compares well to Carey Price because they have the same style and both are extremely quick. But Price is bigger and obviously has proven much more. Montembeault can be the same type of goalie. I see him as a future starter in the big league.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
If he sticks in the Q all season he will be getting noticed heavily in the hockey world.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
If he sticks in the Q all season he will be getting noticed heavily in the hockey world.

Yeah, the kid is realllllly good.

He would be #1 goalie of Team Canada at the upcoming WJC if he was a little bit younger.

I really see him as the Panthers starter in 3-4-5 year! (but I know we never know with goalies!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad