G Samuel Montembeault (2015, 77th, FLA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Mar 14 San Jose
-First goal, first goal in four games that I would say he could've done something different, he was a few inches too far toward the goal line than he thought he was lol. Soft goal #1.
-Second goal, another cross ice one timer, no goalie stops it.
Another win, another great game as he surely made up for the softies. .929 sv% Stats matching eye test count: 3-1 Another good show from Yandle and Matheson. Sam was great.

March 16 LA
-First goal Dustin Brown on like the most slow motion breakaway goal ever, Ekblad and Matheson taking forever to get back and this was the ending Matheson's streak of defense first games but he makes up for it as if that last goal wouldn't happen again. Howeverthe move itself, he was beat and he would agree with me that while it wasn't exactly a cheap/soft goal, he'd like to have that back and would normally stop such a play. Just trying to keep it honest here.
-Second goal the Panthers all deserve assists for what was essentially an own goal AND it should've been goalie interference. Embarrassing goal all around and not on Sam.
-Third goal 3 on 1 with Anze f***ing Kopitar with the free shot from the inside right hash marks. Official welcome back to Matheson with his slide out of the way of being useful.
We hold on to win, cool to see Quick and Monty on either end putting on a bit of a show. With the .889 sv%., it's the Second game where the stats don't reflect how good and meaningful he was to the win. One was a win the other an OTL. 3-2 there.

March. 17 ANA
-First goal Matheson and Ekblad. No fault to goalie
-Second goal. Adam Henrique with a nice toe drag into an unpressured shot moving across the slot. It's amazing he even hit Sam with the puck with such an open opportunity, as opposed to it's amazing Sam got a piece (in other words-even a bad shot will still score under such circumstances). That goal is Ekblad getting beat then being a puss when he could've broke the play up. Brodeur, for the better part of his whole career, NEVER dealt with that, how did his stats turn out? No kidding. Ek gets it back, but the toll taken on Sam's stats can't be taken back.
-Third goal 4:14 of the video you can see a guy completely open in front of the net from a guy making a pass from behind the net.
First loss, none of the goals on him, shot count was low, but the quality save count was almost identical. Another goalie show with exception to defensive gaffes on both sides. .864 sv% and another game where the stats don't reflect quality of play, from Sam making that count 3-3. Sam was great.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
March 19 DAL
- First goal 0:57 of the video, you can see where Jamie Benn is and where the white jerseys are and what they are doing. Not on Sam.
-Second goal, 1:49 of the video, 4 bodies lined between him and the shooter? No chance.
-Third goal 3:26 of the video, 2 on 0 in front.
Deserved a win. His best game with what I remember to be the highest count of quality saves up until this point, and even with 3 goals to his stats, he saw enough rubber to inflate his stats to a .917. The way he played that game, defensive competence would have gotten him his first shutout. He was amazing and another game where the stats poorly reflect quality of play putting that up to 3-4. Another game with an unfortunate amount of missed saves on the highlight reel. Sam was all I said he was...and soooo was the defense. Sam was great.

March 23 BOS(worst hockey game I have ever been to in my life. never felt so defeated)
-First goal Both defensemen and Borgstrom leave the front of the net hilariously open. No blame on goalie.
-Second goal at 1:18 you see an even worse on the defense version of the first goal. Didn't think it was possible. It was.
-Third goal Chara walks into the slot no pressure and the screen from Wagner, also alone in front with his ass in Sam's face. 3 goals no justifiable blame on the goalie who has been holding the team from double digits at this point.
-Fourth goal looked like Weegar was gambling or playing fantasy hockey. Kuhlman, unpressured, walks into the slot and scores off the bar. You'd think Sam would've given up at this point but he sure didn't.
-Fifth goal PP screen unmanned in front. again. right in his face. again.
-Sixth goal David f***ing Pastasauce of all people with a breakaway or 3 on 1 however you wanna look at it.
I'm pissed as f*** after re-living this night. Six goals, not a single goddamn one on him...he was GREAT. He singlehandedly kept it out of double digits, the shot count made it look so much closer that it was. Quality shot count was completely lopsided. The better part of the Bruins fans were acting like assholes. Weegar took his beating from Acciari in the most symbolic fashion. And all 200 of us Panthers fans left on the verge of tears. Well...one fan actually did. .846 SV% Got 31 of the 37 shots faced. SAM WAS GREAT. HAD TO BE. 3-5 games where stats reflect quality.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Mar 25 TOR
-First goal, cross ice pass to wide open Marleau cutting to the net...here we go again..
-Second goal, Jake Muzzin with a blast from the very top of the slot, Sam should've had it though making it 2 1/2 goals he should've had in all his games (the weird Brown breakaway was the 1/2).
He was pulled immediately after and what does adding a .500 sv% and whatever the GAA do when you can't level it out? It completely skews the meaning and value of the overall stats. 3-5 now. He didnt play great he didnt play bad. He didnt get a chance to do either.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Mar 26 MTL
(All while Price was putting on a show, and coming in relief of Reimer, who got pulled after two open-from-the top of the slot and a Yandle being a puss goal that should've been goalie INT anyway)
First goal 2:49 of the video, deflects of Barkov. Not blame to any goalie for deflections ever.
Second goal, 3:05 Danault is all alone in front walking away as the 3 Shit-heads stand and watch it happen.
Third goal 4:39 on Mike Hoffman 100% letting someone like Domi walk in and fire a shot like that. No goalie stopping any pro worth a damn on that.

Price had a game for his career highlight reel. 3 goals in 2 periods and .833 sv% and 6 GAA makes it 3-7 for number of his games where his stats match his quality of play. Aside from the goals that weren't his fault, Sam was great.

Apr 4
Last game vs the Islanders, his best game, he was the star of the show stopping 36 of 37, lots of quality and the stats showed it bringing the count to 4-7 in his games where the stats are a fair judge count.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@BB88 @vendetta After I took the few hours to get all this up, please take the time to understand why I still came to the same conclusion that despite the stats, he looked great in all but the game he was pulled in, in which he didn't get a chance to have a good or bad game. Only a couple softies in the entire first stretch of his career. Why I'm saying there 4 games where stats were an overall good measure, and 7 that were not...

Only 8 goalies in the last 35 years had as good of a 5 game start, not sure where he stands among the first 10 game stretch records...

@PSLguy you were next to me live for a chunk of this, if I'm inaccurate, lemme know!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
No, you're on the money.

Unfortunately he won't get much of a chance in FL. You're gonna have to watch him shine in Seattle or someplace else cause we have Bob and then Knight waiting in the wings.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
No, you're on the money.

Unfortunately he won't get much of a chance in FL. You're gonna have to watch him shine in Seattle or someplace else cause we have Bob and then Knight waiting in the wings.
I know it :[

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I respect that, and usually agree except in rare cases like he and Hart who both looked clear for lift off despite not much competence in front of them.
Which games was he not good?

You are going by extremely small sample size, and against my point.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Please clarify

Because Florida needs playoffs, right now. Not in 3-5 years time as I said before.

It all starts from goaltending and getting consistent quality goaltending, bad goaltending can kill the conficence quick and chances for playoffs. Atlantic especially is a nightmare.

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, I'm not even saying he was bad, but he's not proven rigth now, he's a complete question mark for starter or a goalie for bigger role.
Analysing his very few NHL games isn't enough to bet on it.

A lot depends on Floridas shortterm success.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Because Florida needs playoffs, right now. Not in 3-5 years time as I said before.

It all starts from goaltending and getting consistent quality goaltending, bad goaltending can kill the conficence quick and chances for playoffs. Atlantic especially is a nightmare.

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, I'm not even saying he was bad, but he's not proven rigth now, he's a complete question mark for starter or a goalie for bigger role.
Analysing his very few NHL games isn't enough to bet on it.

A lot depends on Floridas shortterm success.
Of course, but it's not really going against your point to state that it's a rare case that I'd go against your point though lol

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Having Luongo and Reimer as his mentors in his first season isn't bad, now Bobrovsky. Things are looking up.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
@BB88 @vendetta After I took the few hours to get all this up, please take the time to understand why I still came to the same conclusion that despite the stats, he looked great in all but the game he was pulled in, in which he didn't get a chance to have a good or bad game. Only a couple softies in the entire first stretch of his career. Why I'm saying there 4 games where stats were an overall good measure, and 7 that were not...

Only 8 goalies in the last 35 years had as good of a 5 game start, not sure where he stands among the first 10 game stretch records...

@PSLguy you were next to me live for a chunk of this, if I'm inaccurate, lemme know!
Dude he was inconsistent like he has been at every level. It’s just reality. It’s a fact. Same way in ahl. He’s a young goalie and it’s quite common. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a great starter. But we can’t afford his very obvious inconsistencies this year. Flat out reality. Your in denial it’s bizarre

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@vendetta please don't waste my time anymore if thats what you think is a proper response.

If what i said is incorrect, tell.me where and how. Not just "your wrong and thats a fact your in denial" How f***ing childish and insulting after the time i took.

Last edited:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
@vendetta please don't waste my time anymore if thats what you think is a proper response.

If what i said is incorrect, tell.me where and how. Not just "your wrong and thats a fact your in denial" How ****ing childish and insulting after the time i took.
It’s been his posts lately. It’s really bizarre because he used to be one of the top posters on our boards. Now he just resorts to name calling and being above everyone else.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

If what i said is incorrect, tell.me where and how. Not just "your wrong and thats a fact your in denial" How ****ing childish and insulting after the time i took.
I watched every game of his last year. I don’t need nor have time to go thru and breakdown every post of yours. I know what I saw. He made the big saves that Lou or reimer werent capeabke of but also had some poor games and inconsistencies. You clearly don’t agree. That’s fine. I don’t much care about it. Doubt you’ll find
Many posters who say he was basically flawless every game like your claiming. His drawback coming in was
Incocnaistency and that’s exactly what he showed. His numbers show it

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I watched every game of his last year. I don’t need nor have time to go thru and breakdown every post of yours. I know what I saw. He made the big saves that Lou or reimer werent capeabke of but also had some poor games and inconsistencies. You clearly don’t agree. That’s fine. I don’t much care about it. Doubt you’ll find
Many posters who say he was basically flawless every game like your claiming. His drawback coming in was
Incocnaistency and that’s exactly what he showed. His numbers show it
I asked you not to waste my time, please and all, and here you go again.

Funny how predictable you are though...you know what? I am in denial. But not about any of what I said that you admit to not going thru anyway (what a disrespectfully stupid thing to say), but that I thought that I could reason with the classically unreasonable.

I should have typed what I was going to at your very first response here:

"Oh boy, here you are. I'm not wasting my time with you on this. I'll post a bunch of video clips explaining why I feel the way I do, and you won't even read any of it but instead you'll just simply say some dumb ass nonsense like 'I'm right, you're wrong, you don't know hockey".

@FinlandPanther you were saying?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Having Luongo and Reimer as his mentors in his first season isn't bad, now Bobrovsky. Things are looking up.
I'd love it not for the time and money attached with Bob. It's a win win situation thru this year at least if Stralman and the new Coaches make the difference in the defensive zone.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Bobrovsky is going to play 65 to 70 games so isn't the best place for young Montembeaut getting tons of action in the AHL? Seems to me that if Driedger and Montembault are close in Training Camp, Driedger will get the backup job.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I asked you not to waste my time, please and all, and here you go again.

Funny how predictable you are though...you know what? I am in denial. But not about any of what I said that you admit to not going thru anyway (what a disrespectfully stupid thing to say), but that I thought that I could reason with the classically unreasonable.

I should have typed what I was going to at your very first response here:

"Oh boy, here you are. I'm not wasting my time with you on this. I'll post a bunch of video clips explaining why I feel the way I do, and you won't even read any of it but instead you'll just simply say some dumb ass nonsense like 'I'm right, you're wrong, you don't know hockey".

@FinlandPanther you were saying?
No one asked u to post what u did and take that time. I watched every single goal
Go in on him and know what I saw. I watched replays also of said goals. No disrespect to u or the time u put in (that I didn’t ask for) but I k ow what I saw.
There were soft goals and inconsistent play. U obviously feel different. It’s fine

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has Driedger leaped him on the depth chart? It seems as if he did well once sent down to the AHL this season, but was probably rushed to the NHL prior to that.

I know SV% is not always the best measure, but prior to his AHL stint this season, all his SV% numbers each year in professional hockey were in the 800's. How do you let a young goalie play 25 NHL games when he can't even reach the 900's in the minors? He barely got into the 900's in the QMJHL either. His first two seasons he wasn't, his third season he reached .901 and then his last season he reached .907. SV% isn't the only valid measure, but it seems like this was a player that Florida might've rushed to the NHL instead of letting him develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad