Radko Gudas named captain of the Anaheim Ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Screen-Shot-2023-11-15-at-8.41.07-AM.599628bb.png

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I'm cool with it. I think "work your ass off and be a warrior" is a fine message to send to our younger players, even if Radko isn't the most cerebral or talented player on the roster.
I was thinking the same thing. I actually like it when the guy is an actual leader and not just the perceived best player on the team. This is actually a really good message to send to the younger guys.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Have to wonder if an extension is in the works. Id have no issue taking on a couple more years, he should be a decent #5-6 his last couple seasons
While I could definitely see it happening, I think it makes sense to wait and see how things go. They wouldn't be able to sign one until next July anyway.

If they identify another good long-term captain in the meantime (my bet is on Gauthier), I could see them re-signing Gudas to a year or two extension but possibly asking him to take an 'A' so they can promote the next guy. I don't see Gudas making a big deal about that. Or they could simply wait it out and put the new guy in the job whenever Gudas moves on.

Either way, I'm cool with this. Gudas is the prototypical "guy you love when he's on your team but you hate when he's on the other team." I hated when the Ducks played against Gudas. I do think he's toned down the dirty hits a little bit without losing physicality, but he's definitely a leader. Good for him!

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I was thinking the same thing. I actually like it when the guy is an actual leader and not just the perceived best player on the team. This is actually a really good message to send to the younger guys.

I'm good with this too.

I'm cool with it. I think "work your ass off and be a warrior" is a fine message to send to our younger players, even if Radko isn't the most cerebral or talented player on the roster.

I'm thinking Gudas is pretty cerebral overall. The guy is definitely very intelligent, speaks what, 5 languages? He's great in interviews, seems very comfortable in front of a camera, and can elaborate on thoughts rather than just give basic answers.

And to be +14 on the team we had last year? Thinking he has to play a very smart brand of hockey, or be a wizard, to work that kind of magic.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I'm good with this too.

I'm thinking Gudas is pretty cerebral overall. The guy is definitely very intelligent, speaks what, 5 languages? He's great in interviews, seems very comfortable in front of a camera, and can elaborate on thoughts rather than just give basic answers.

And to be +14 on the team we had last year? Thinking he has to play a very smart brand of hockey, or be a wizard, to work that kind of magic.
I don't think he's dumb but he takes quite a few dumb penalties and makes some questionable defensive choices. When I think of "cerebral" players I think of somebody like Nieds.

Again, I like the guy and I'm cool with the choice, but I think Gudas' +14 comes more from being on the second pairing than being a genius or a wizard.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good. Perfect short term guy until Leo/McT/Cutter/Someone is ready for the job.
Been 3 seasons since Getzlaf retired. Option was to name a temporary one or continue to roll with multiple A's. Chicago doing the same thing with Foligno as Toews has been gone a year and also missed a full season.
Smart move to not give it to a kid. Don't do that until the team is legitimately capable of making the PO>

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad