G Kaapo Kahkonen (2014, 109th, MIN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
When does his current contract in the Liiga expire? What are the chances he comes to play in North American at some point?

Noma

When does his current contract in the Liiga expire? What are the chances he comes to play in North American at some point?

His contract expires after this upcoming season. Although it doesn't really matter, because all Finnish contracts have an automatic out-clause for the NHL after the season, so he could've left even if it continued even further.

It would make sense for him to aim to move to NA after this season.

Nicos

Dec 14, 2016
After nine rounds in Liiga, Kähkönen has been the best goalie in the whole league. Nine games, two losses, SV% of 93,99 and GAA 1,61. He has played every game for Lukko so far. Also Lukko hasn't conceded any shorthanded goals so far, with 69 minutes of minor penalties, and overall has conceded the least amount of goals so far.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I have thought of him already for two years as the next really great Finnish goalie star. Seeing him this season has convinced me even more. He is so calm and yet has great reflexes and very rarely overplays or makes the wrong moves. He is also a big goalie who sure knows how to handle the puck. All in all a wonderful goaltender already. I will be immensely disappointed if he will not be the number one goalie for the Finnish Olympic team.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The point of your post? If it was a joke, I can't really find it very funny or witty. And if you are saying what you are saying seriously, I think you really don't realize how good a goaltender Kähkönen already is. He honestly has huge NHL goalie potential. And in a few years he could seriously be a number one goalie in many NHL teams. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but at least the potential is very obvious.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Pfft.... He wouldn't even make the Wild's fourth line!

The point of your post? If it was a joke, I can't really find it very funny or witty. And if you are saying what you are saying seriously, I think you really don't realize how good a goaltender Kähkönen already is. He honestly has huge NHL goalie potential. And in a few years he could seriously be a number one goalie in many NHL teams. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but at least the potential is very obvious.

I think the joke is about the three goals he has scored in his career...

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Nicos

Dec 14, 2016
Kaapo is keeping up the pace as best goalie so far in Liiga. 12 games played, 9 wins, GAA 1,53, SV% 94,08. Yesterday was the first time in 5 games that he allowed more than one goal.

He is btw pretty heavy for a goalie

Height: 187 cm / 6'2''
Weight: 103 kg / 227 lb

Here is a save from last night that he made in breakaway

View media item 289

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Do Wild still hold his rights? His season ended last night so might be time to move to North America for next season. Good season for him 56GP 2.2 GAA and 92.2% on an average team.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Do Wild still hold his rights? His season ended last night so might be time to move to North America for next season. Good season for him 56GP 2.2 GAA and 92.2% on an average team.
They do until this summer, I think. I know the Wild brass have taken trips out to Finland to talk to him recently and want to sign him, but I have no idea if they're close to anything. Minnesota's goalie depth isn't exactly stellar and we have a history of making goalie's lives relatively easy, so it seems like we'd make a pretty good match. He'd probably spend a year in Iowa, but after that I think there's a good chance for him to see games in the NHL. It'd be nice to have someone pushing Dubnyk; I'm not sure that any of our current guys are up to that task.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
He is now in the AHL, and after 3 games has a shutout and 95.3% save percentage. He is the backup to Andrew Hammond, but looking good with this tiny sample.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Now has a 0.79 GAA and a .972 sv%. Has only played 5 games, though. Iowa is in 1st place for the first time since they were back in Houston. Don't know how much of that is the skaters, and how much the G.

They need to play KK more- they know what they have in the Hamburglar- to see if he can be Dubnyk's backup next year, or at least the preferred call up. You hate to call up a guy and have him sit on the bench.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
1 of 7 games played in October. 4 of 8 played in November. They are playing him more.

The spread in save percentage between Hammond and Kaapo is 5.1%. I d expect him to start a whole lot and arrive to the NHL in January if this keeps up.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not much talk about this guy.. Seems as though he is having a good rookie season in North America.

He is amongst the league leaders in alot of goalie stats, leading the league in shutouts, was named a AHL Allstar and has won some awards though out the season(player of the week, goaltender of the month, etc etc)

Does he have potential to become a #1 goalie in the NHL?

Reactions: EXTRAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad