G Joni Ortio (2009, 171st overall, Calgary)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What can some Finns tell me about him?

How has he been playing this year? He looked good at the WJHC. Does he have what it takes to be an NHL starter? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really, no one that see's him somewhat regularly?

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I'm not Finnish and can't help you out with his ongoing play. Like you, I was very impressed with him at recent WJCs and though he was one of the best, if not the best goalie at the tourney.

I can pass along an interview I did with him in the Fall of '09.

The kid is one class act and I would not bet against him making some sort of impact at the NHL level.

Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:
http://thehockeywriters.com/joni-ortio-interview/

Wiesel

May 29, 2008
His stats are pretty bad, but on the other hand, his club has been the worst in the league. I've seen only couple of his games, but I must say in those games he looked pretty good. I think we have to wait till next year to see his true potential.

Lunatik*

hopefully he comes to North America next year and joins the Abbotsford Heat... I seem to know what mot do and thats his WJC play... but he was essentially hand picked by Kiprusoff, if that means anything

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
He's been solid in the few games I've seen this season. Definitely looks more composed than last year. Not NHL-ready yet though. He hasn't played for a while because TPS' other goalie Atte Engren is playing really well right now. TPS is in a tight spot as they're trying to avoid the relegation, so I doubt Ortio will get many starts as long as Engren is playing well.

If Engren goes to Nashville this year, Ortio could very well be the starter for TPS next season, if Calgary doesn't sign him yet. I think it would be wise to first let him establish himself in Sm-liiga before bringing him over.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
hopefully he comes to North America next year and joins the Abbotsford Heat... I seem to know what mot do and thats his WJC play... but he was essentially hand picked by Kiprusoff, if that means anything

I think he should stay with TPS next year. They have Finland's best goalie coach (Upi Ylönen).

Latex*

Going to north america in a young age is like buying yourself a coffin.

Name a single finnish goalie that has become a starter in the NHL after leaving Finland at a young age.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Name a single finnish goalie that has become a starter in the NHL after leaving Finland at a young age.

rask was pretty young when he left :dunno: but i agree with you

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
Give him one more year in the SM Liiga, then a year in Abbotsford. Ylonen is class so it'll be for his benefit.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008

Exactly. The AHL especially seems to be a murder for young Finnish goalies, cases in point: Toivonen, Noronen, Helenius. Most of the current Finnish NHL goalies have gone to North America after they have become stars in SM-Liiga. Ortio should at least play next season in TPS as a starter or 1B goalie, depending who we get as a backup, if Engren leaves.

He's a good young goalie, who definitely has potential to become a starter in the NHL one day. He has the skills and this season he looks much more composed out there and seems to matured a ton as a player. One of his problems is that despite being listed 6'1" or 185cm, I think he looks very small in the net, compared to the current monster-goalies.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
G Joni Ortio

Haven't heard much discussion at all about this 22yo Finnish kid who is impressing...

Now running 11-1 and 2.28 / 0.924 for the AHL Abbotsford Heat.

Does anyone know much about him? Does he project as a starter someday, or backup material?

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
I remember him standing out for Finland in the World Juniors a few years ago, but had seemed to have dipped off before this year.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Somewhere around 15th best Finnish goalkeeper. So expect him to breakout in NHL soon.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
He struggled his first go-around in NA and decided to head overseas to the SM-Liiga. Put up decent (not great) numbers over there then decided he wanted to give NA another go. Heading into the summer most Flames fans had kind of written him off, but he dazzled at the Penticton Prospect tourney. He looked like a young Kiprusoff out there. He kind of got squeezed out with Calgary having so many goalies right now, so started off the year in the ECHL, where he put up 4 straight shutouts before getting called up.

With Broissoit heading to the Oilers in the Smid trade, and Berra getting called up to the Flames he's been getting the majority of the starts, and by all accounts has looked very good. He could be a late bloomer that ends up being a starter at some point, but most people have him pegged as a good NHL backup at this point. He's still really young for a goaltender at 22, so I'd hate to put a limit on him at this point.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
He struggled his first go-around in NA and decided to head overseas to the SM-Liiga. Put up decent (not great) numbers over there then decided he wanted to give NA another go.

He was top 3 tender in Liiga. MVP of his team.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I'd written him off after his first stint in NA. He didn't get a ton of opportunities, but when he did he looked pretty bad.

He's been a pleasant surprise this year. He's playing very well in the AHL.

I still see Jon Gillies as the Flames future in net, but Ortio could still factor in somehow.

TylerSVT*

Goalies are still impossible to predict (remember how great Irving was going to be), but Ortio looks to have put his **** together after looking like a bust.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Goalies are still impossible to predict (remember how great Irving was going to be), but Ortio looks to have put his **** together after looking like a bust.

Why do keep bringing up the bust word? He struggled in a few appearances as a 20 year old. By this logic Brossoit is looking like a bust.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I'd like to hear what Flames fans think about the possibility that Ortio will get some NHL games this year.

Prior to the season, there was lots of talk about a three-headed monster goalie competition in Calgary with Berra and Ramo winning out after training camp.

IMO, neither of them have looked particularly impressive behind a weak Flames team. Berra is UFA after this season and I don't think the Flames bring him back. Do they give Ortio a chance to show what he can do this year?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I'd like to hear what Flames fans think about the possibility that Ortio will get some NHL games this year.

Prior to the season, there was lots of talk about a three-headed monster goalie competition in Calgary with Berra and Ramo winning out after training camp.

IMO, neither of them have looked particularly impressive behind a weak Flames team. Berra is UFA after this season and I don't think the Flames bring him back. Do they give Ortio a chance to show what he can do this year?

I don't know. At least Ramo and Berra are a bit older, a bit more seasoned and less likely to have their confidence hurt playing behind a really bad defensive team like the Flames.

Ortio has looked solid in the AHL, but I'm not sure I'd want to call him up and throw him to the wolves.

That said, I expect he'll get a handful of games at some point. Unless he can score though he's not going to help the situation in Calgary much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad