Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Let's suppose the best case scenario...

Is making the playoffs and getting bounced in a round or maybe even two worth a middle 1st round pick and Bahl?

I don't know at this point I don't think we should be unloading the chambers to just make the playoffs. It seems shortsighted.
Yes, absolutely. Incredibly funny that this point is being made by the ultimate Lou defender lol.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
They didn't look good in round 1, barely beat the shell of the Capitals.
Bleed had a pretty good post on it a while back. The President's trophy team, the highest scoring team since the 95-96 Penguins beat a crap Capitals WC roster in 6 games, mainly thanks to some insane heroics by Verhaeghe. Bob was mediocre and got outdueled by VV for one loss and **** the bed in the other loss.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is a trade that looks “ok” in the moment but you won’t really know what the true cost/benefit was until the dust settles. If Markstrom shits the bed next year and this team winds up giving up a #11 pick because of it (in addition to the loss of a roster defenseman) that’s pretty bad. If he and the team have a great season, the price won’t be second-guessed at all.

Fitz has made a bet. Let’s hope it pans out better than the last several he’s made for this position.
If we are not in the playoffs next year, the season, and this trade will look like a disaster.

How Markstrom plays is almost secondary to how the team plays. He can be OK, and the trade can either look pretty good, or lousy.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Is making the playoffs and getting bounced in a round or maybe even two worth a middle 1st round pick and Bahl?

I don't know at this point I don't think we should be unloading the chambers to just make the playoffs. It seems shortsighted.

Teams legit do this every year when they acquire rental players. So regardless of what you, I or anyone else thinks, the NHL has largely made that determination in terms of first round pick value, tbh. I don't view this as being out of line with that. I think people really need to adjust what they think the firsts are often worth (that's not to say that people should be all in on trading these picks either).

Whether they should make that bet is a perfectly fair discussion point with really no right answer. I mean, 1 team wins the cup every year, so a binary approach based on winning the cup is far too harsh of a grading stance.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bleed had a pretty good post on it a while back. The President's trophy team, the highest scoring team since the 95-96 Penguins beat a crap Capitals WC roster in 6 games, mainly thanks to some insane heroics by Verhaeghe. Bob was mediocre and got outdueled by VV for one loss and **** the bed in the other loss.
I have to see highlights to believe this lol

• Haha
Reactions: Alex NJD

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I dont see a problem to compete and not trading pick in the same time. Worked well quite good for Dallas for example.
Dallas has won one WC, let’s not pass them off as the best example of a consistent winner.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes, absolutely. Incredibly funny that this point is being made by the ultimate Lou defender lol.
Lou would never ever have used 3 rookie defenders...Never in 2 million years...now we are saddled with two that have to be in the lineup until they get up to the level we need them to be to compete...

Seems many don't want to face this truth. They weren't close to being competent top 4 defenders last year and it's going to take some time before they are... I don't know why this is such a hard pill for some to swallow?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Not even close to unloading the chambers. It's not even the riskiest trade they could've made with regards to the goalie situation

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lou would never ever have used 3 rookie defenders...Never in 2 million years...now we are saddled with two that have to be in the lineup until they get up to the level we need them to be to compete...

Seems many don't want to face this truth. They weren't close to being competent top 4 defenders last year and it's going to take some time before they are... I don't know why this is such a hard pill for some to swallow?

man, too bad the Devils are "saddled" with the 2 best U-21 DMen in the sport. What a burden!

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

we did this from 2004-2012 basically. I'd rather have a glimmer than a lottery ticket and hoping we can at least get in.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Almost like an elite 5v5 goalie will help those young defenders when they make mistakes like last year would've been like if Fitz pulled a trigger on a goalie

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I hate to be saddled with two of the best young D in team history.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
we did this from 2004-2012 basically. I'd rather have a glimmer than a lottery ticket and hoping we can at least get in.
Those teams were 100+ points 45 win teams just about every single year coming off of 3 championship teams with a HOF goaltender....you know we are picking 10th overall in 10 days right?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Still pining for the days were this team iced guys who played the puck like a grenade over the guys like Luke Hughes/Simon Nemec that this league is catered towards now lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad