Proposal: EDM - MN

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Jonathan Huberdeau? Numbers are a little off, but he played with Barkov and needed an extension at 29. He + Weeger + Schwindt + a conditional 2025 1st round draft pick for Tkachuk and a 4th

So Drai + Broberg + a conditional 2026 1st for Kaprizov and a 4th
You are really comparing Huberdeau after a one off career year to Drai?
So Drai + Broberg + a conditional 2026 1st for Kaprizov and a 4th this just seems like silly rage bait

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Draisaitl is a clearly better player than either of these 2 players. Karlsson was an elite OFD but he never reached the level of play that Draisaitl has reached.

Also, I fail to see how Tierney, DeMelo and Balcers were just "roster filler" in the Karlsson deal. Tierney was a 23 year old 3C coming off a 40 point season. DeMelo was a good young defenseman that has continued to be good until today (he just signed a $4.9 million extension).
Karlsson almost single handedly dragged the Sens to the Cup Finals one year before the trade. They lost in OT of game 7 of the ECF to the eventual champs with a pretty lackluster team. People were saying he might be the best player on the planet. He had won two Norris and came in 2nd twice. Draisaitl is not "clearly better" than prime EK. It's absurd that you would say that.

Demelo was 7th in ice time among Sharks defensemen at age 24. He was roster filler. Tierney was a solid player. Balcers was a 5th rounder who hadn't played in the league yet. He wasn't even roster filler

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is Boldy Rossi for your franchise player the knew Ryder Halak and a 2nd?

Followed by Minnesota fans ripping on the player they are trying to get. Arguing they are overated even though no one on the opposing fanbase will do the trade.

Classic!

Reactions: Empoleon8771

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You are really comparing Huberdeau after a one off career year to Drai?
So Drai + Broberg + a conditional 2026 1st for Kaprizov and a 4th this just seems like silly rage bait

Huberdeau had .91 points per game while playing for Florida (671 games with 613 points). Draihas 1.18 PPG, a difference of .27 PPG or 22 points.

Difference is Barkov is no McDavid. Great player and all, but McDavid is a gear higher and I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid was a big helper on those 22 points.

Hubs was 29 at the time when he was traded, similar to Drai. Also Broberg is no Weeger and Schwindt was a toss in prospect.

Also as good as Tkachuk is, Kaprizov has always been a step ahead and is one of the best wingers in this game.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If Draisaitl doesn't want to sign in Edmonton it's because he doesn't think they can ice a competitive team. He definitely won't want to sign in Minny

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
OP is actually a MIN fan based on post history.
One player that interests me on MIN is Faber. He should be part of the package in any discussions around Drai to MIN
Faber might win the Calder and is a stud RD. He would immediately be the best defender EDM has(Bouchard is basically another forward).

Faber
Erickson Ek

For

Drai + 2024 1st

?

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Lots of unknowns in EDM and I understand that moving Drai is unlikely but hear me out.

To EDM -
Matt Boldy
Marco Rossi
2025 1st - Top 3 protected

To MN -
Drai - Extended

The Wild get their number 1 - Top 5 C in the league with 3-4 years left of his prime. Also - I feel like we have the forward talent in the pipeline to absorb this loss...EDM gets younger and cheaper with some talent that can extend McDavids window without having to tie up close to 30 million in Cap between 2 forwards.

If you don't like the Rossi add we can discuss other options.

I'm sure some on both sides will think this is a terrible proposal - but offers for top 5 forwards usually get that reaction.

Oiler fans may not like it but it is not a bad deal. Wild fans maybe the ones to go no

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Boldy is behind only J.Hughes & Stutzle for U23 scorers in the league. Oilers fans aren’t going to get a much better centerpiece in return.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Is Boldy Rossi for your franchise player the knew Ryder Halak and a 2nd?

Followed by Minnesota fans ripping on the player they are trying to get. Arguing they are overated even though no one on the opposing fanbase will do the trade.

Classic!
Not every Wild fan has said he's overrated, so you can stop putting everyone in the same freaking basket. And not wanting to do the trade due to the repercussions it would cause the rest of the lineup isn't ripping on the guy. We are not in the window right now to make such a move. We need more balance....not to be top heavy. And we need to keep Wally. It just makes no sense for the Wild at this point.

Reactions: MK9 and BagHead

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Faber might win the Calder and is a stud RD. He would immediately be the best defender EDM has(Bouchard is basically another forward).

Faber
Erickson Ek

For

Drai + 2024 1st

?
the 1st from EDM seems a bit greedy at first look. Either remove the 1st or add Campbell from Oilers side. I just dont see Draisaitl being interested in extending with MIN.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Huberdeau had .91 points per game while playing for Florida (671 games with 613 points). Draihas 1.18 PPG, a difference of .27 PPG or 22 points.

Difference is Barkov is no McDavid. Great player and all, but McDavid is a gear higher and I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid was a big helper on those 22 points.

Hubs was 29 at the time when he was traded, similar to Drai. Also Broberg is no Weeger and Schwindt was a toss in prospect.

Also as good as Tkachuk is, Kaprizov has always been a step ahead and is one of the best wingers in this game.
Draisaitl is also a big center and outstanding playoff performer who has been one of the top goalscorers and point getters the last 5 years with an art Ross, hard and Lindsay. He's also scored 50+ goals multiple times. He would instantly be the best player in wild history. Also as much as I loathe Tkachuk he is a better player than Kaprizov.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Draisaitl is also a big center and outstanding playoff performer who has been one of the top goalscorers and point getters the last 5 years with an art Ross, hard and Lindsay. He's also scored 50+ goals multiple times. He would instantly be the best player in wild history. Also as much as I loathe Tkachuk he is a better player than Kaprizov.
I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread put Leon any lower than a top 5 player in the league. But trading our 2nd best forward, who is 23 and signed at $7M for the next 6 years, the top goalie prospect in the NHL, our best young center, and then adding two 1sts on top of that MAKES ZERO SENSE for any team, let alone one that didn't even make the playoffs.

Reactions: NHL1674

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread put Leon any lower than a top 5 player in the league. But trading our 2nd best forward, who is 23 and signed at $7M for the next 6 years, the top goalie prospect in the NHL, our best young center, and then adding two 1sts on top of that MAKES ZERO SENSE for any team, let alone one that didn't even make the playoffs.

Then you won’t trade for him. Don’t try to convince other fans that Edmonton should take a package that works for you because “we missed the playoffs last year”.

I’m the furthest thing from an Oilers fan, but even I think that Draisaitl will bring back more than what Wild fans in here are suggesting. Boldy is a terrific piece, but Rossi and a late 1st aren’t very appealing pieces for a team like Edmonton.

If you want to take out the picks and make it purely a player swap, offer something like Boldy, Eriksson-Ek and Wallstedt for Draisaitl with an extension. You keep all of your picks in the deal and also keep Faber.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
he can't win shit if he doesn't have a supporting cast when he's WITH McDavid, so he's pretty much useless to us if we trade a couple of our better pieces and fail to also have McDavid.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Then you won’t trade for him. Don’t try to convince other fans that Edmonton should take a package that works for you because “we missed the playoffs last year”.

I’m the furthest thing from an Oilers fan, but even I think that Draisaitl will bring back more than what Wild fans in here are suggesting. Boldy is a terrific piece, but Rossi and a late 1st aren’t very appealing pieces for a team like Edmonton.

If you want to take out the picks and make it purely a player swap, offer something like Boldy, Eriksson-Ek and Wallstedt for Draisaitl with an extension. You keep all of your picks in the deal and also keep Faber.
I don't think I have to convince anyone that no one is going to pay a Gretzky or Lindros level return to Edmonton for one year of Draisaitl at $8M and then have to pay him 12-13M for the downside of his career.

The Oilers aren't getting five premium assets for one year of Leon Draisaitl. You're on hallucinogens if you think they are.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The terms of the deal do not really matter. The part of this I can't get past is that it hinges on Draisaitl choosing to sign a max term deal with Minnesota. He's driving the deal. He's driving any deal if he declines to re-up with Edmonton. Why is one of the best players in the game going to the Wild?
  • He has no ties to the city, so it doesn't have the clear cachet that it has for Minnesota natives.
  • It's not a prime destination for non-hockey reasons (weather, taxes, etc.) Maybe he loves the outdoors? If so, it's top five, otherwise it's not high on players' lists.
  • So it's got to be for hockey reasons then. How rosy then is the Wild's current place on its competitiveness curve? Minnesota is alright, but it's not a contender. It's not a playoff team. They are getting out from under those two buyout penalties soon, which will help a lot. Progress will be making the playoffs, though, and that is with Kaprizov a UFA before you know it in 2026. Their present is mediocrity. How bright is their future? He's hitching his wagon to a team for eight years (plus one remaining under his current contract). So how good is this team?
  • All you're left with is money. There's two summers of cap inflation coming and he's a UFA at the right time to cash in as those salaries escalate abruptly. It's going to be a really big ticket. Money is the only carrot they have left.
To the question, Why Minnesota, I do not have a compelling answer. He's going to have options and he'll control the trade or make it clear he won't re-sign with a team he hasn't approved in advance.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Minnesota won't give young players for aging Draisaitl, like never. It just won't happen no matter what both teams' fans say. Minny has its own superstar, now the team needs to get better teammates for him and not just another superstar. They have some nice young players and gonna get even more ones, it's exactly the foundation the team is gonna build its future on.

And no, Edmonton won't trade Drai either. He's McD's friend, and the team isn't going to upset its everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad