Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, we will be having this same conversation in a year or two. Or maybe it will be about a fire sale. Who knows.
What conversation, the we need a goalie conversation? If we have that then that's problematic because by then you would think at least one of Daws, Schmid or Poulter would do enough to get entrusted with 1A minutes. Fitz clearly didn't want to do that again in the near-term but eventually they'll have to **** or get off the pot with all three.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Welp, it was sort of inevitable. Not my 1st choice to have two dinosaurs but...

We didn't give up the actual player I was thinking about. Losing Bahl still may hurt a small bit in long run.

Reactions: Guadana

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Always assumed that first was going to be part of the deal so I just got numb about it
This was always supposed to be the last year where we should care about the draft. In the near term picks are basically trade commodities.

Reactions: Forge

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Markstrom was really good last year. People really underestimate the mental aspect in terms of player performance. I think it was reported that he didn't want to waive earlier in the year? So they finally have the conversation and he is convinced to waive to specifically go to New Jersey. He's starting to look at real estate and school districts when he's told the owner scraps it due to pure cheapness. You're probably not going to try your best after that, and Calgary's defense was a bit of a mess after the trades of Tanev and Hanifin as well.

Decent fair-value trade. Wish it was Top-15 protected just in case we have a year like this year where we just barely miss out. But also, Fitz needs to go in and get some sort of vet D that is better than Colin Miller or Brendan Smith. Something like the 2nd and a prospect for 2 years of Ryan Graves is what we need.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Objectively solid value all in with the retention and trade protection. Ultimately, I just never wanted to target Markstrom.

But if they were targeting a guy like Ullmark, they’d have had to really up the ante and it’s not like there’s no questions with him either.
Ullmark would have cost more in assets and his extension would have been long and expensive.

He's got a ton of questions too.

This was the move I wanted. If it's a complete disaster, it won't kill us for years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Right now we only have 2 established PK Dmen. And lost another big PKer two years in a row...Bahl should be easy to replace but we are going one step backward and one step forward with this move.
They're not going to play Haatka or some kid from the farm in Bahl's missing spot. Clearly the plan is to get another established LHD and bump Siegs back down.

Reactions: Comparison Ford
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad