Prospect Info: G - Ilya Nabokov - 2024 #38

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
If the Avs have invested in a good AI it is now working on landing Askarov.

Having Annunen, Nabokov and Askarov get you knighted.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
If only we could merge them into one superior Cerberus-esque monstrosity to guard the gates of the Avalanche goal

It is possible in baseball, a few brave persons imagined.

But until then we dream about Robin Lehner!

And never again in human history a single former european country will be responsible for fostering both the best goalie (Vasilievsky), the goalie of the Stanley Cup winner (Bobrovsky) and the highest paid (Shestyorkin, based on a season´s performance). Not to mention the best goalie tandem (Varlamov and Sorokin), best goalie prospect (Askarov) and highest drafted (Nabokov).

Last edited:

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
It is possible in baseball, a few brave persons imagined.

But until then we dream about Robin Lehner!

And never again in human history a single former european country will be responsible for fostering both the best goalie (Vasilievsky), the goalie of the Stanley Cup winner (Bobrovsky) and the highest paid (Shestyorkin, based on a season´s performance). Not to mention the best goalie tandem (Varlamov and Sorokin), best goalie prospect (Askarov) and highest drafted (Nabokov).
PED's Russian doctors

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
My concern with Nabokov is how low his stance is. He seems to play small in net. It might become a real problem once NHL shooters figure him out.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
My concern with Nabokov is how low his stance is. He seems to play small in net. It might become a real problem once NHL shooters figure him out.
I've got no concerns. Now that I've developed a conspiracy theory that @Gigantor The Goalie is actually Frankie, I'm sure he'll get him to concentrate on his stance. Frankie is going to eventually find and then hone the next Patrick Roy for us.

That second clip showed Nabokov is already a natural at @RoyIsALegend's favored two pad stack. This move appeared to be a very natural with him.

In the third clip, while there are a few rebounds (I'm not good enough critic to comment on whether they were good or bad) his tracking of the puck was really good. It was moving around the net very close in and he was always in position to make a save. He moved quite a bit but it wasn't scrambly in the least. Basically I disregarded the shoot out attempts when accessing him because I know evern some bad goalist are good 1v1 (Georgieve stoning McDavid at the All-Star game). He just felt in control all the time. But of course...it was a game of shinny but it was his first real organized game of shimy against pure NHL talent.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
For it to work long-term, he has to have elite glove and blocker. Even then, these guys can get leaky. Quick and Bobrovsky are two guys who play similar.

Reactions: missionAvs
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
For it to work long-term, he has to have elite glove and blocker. Even then, these guys can get leaky. Quick and Bobrovsky are two guys who play similar.
I think it also comes down to why are they doing it. Is it a fundamental flaw in their technique or are they using it to bait shooters into an area that they feel confident they can make a save? It's the same with boxers that leave their chin out, is it because you have bad fundamentals or is it that you've got the reflexes to draw your opponent in and then you can counter?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think it also comes down to why are they doing it. Is it a fundamental flaw in their technique or are they using it to bait shooters into an area that they feel confident they can make a save? It's the same with boxers that leave their chin out, is it because you have bad fundamentals or is it that you've got the reflexes to draw your opponent in and then you can counter?
They can be doing it to bait and still be terrible though...

As a rule of thumb, bigger ice typically means shots are from further out and less dangerous. It isn't that abnormal for below average sized Euros to employ this strategy. For it to work, he's simply got to be great up top or it will be heavily exposed.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Agree with this. Georgiev plays like this as well and the top part of the net got exposed frequently during the past season.

I have read somewhere that Nabokov changed his stance to be taller in net but from those clips IMO he is still too low for my liking and it will get exposed against good NHL shooters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad