Prospect Info: G - Ilya Nabokov - 2024 #38

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
They can be doing it to bait and still be terrible though...

As a rule of thumb, bigger ice typically means shots are from further out and less dangerous. It isn't that abnormal for below average sized Euros to employ this strategy. For it to work, he's simply got to be great up top or it will be heavily exposed.
When Theodore played for the Avs he baited opponents to shoot high, low, or five hole on him.

And it worked every time. The opponents would always shoot wherever Theodore left a lot of open net.

But part of baiting the opponent is having a counter for when they fall for the bait. Instead of having a red light go off behind you.

Hopefully Nabokov has better tactics than that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've always felt that teams should rush goalies faster than they normally do... but at 23 that he'd be in 26-27 is still on the faster end of things. And if he's the answer in 25-26 or 26-27 (or 27-28), we're in a big ol pile of shit anyway. :laugh:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, they wait waaaaaaay too long to bring goalie prospects in. IMO the notion that goalies take longer to develop than defensemen who take longer to develop than forwards is a crock of shit. The only difference is margin for error. If a d-man f***s up, he's only got the goalie to save him. If a goalie f***s up, it's in the net.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I mean I’m excited for him to join a team in North America, but it’s hard to argue he wouldn’t benefit from one more season in Russia. Especially considering it will show if he continues to develop or if he had one fluke season.

The video earlier on this page posted by @TatteredTornNFrayed did a great job breaking down the challenges he faces in his play style and current ability. If he can fix those against KHL guys he has a better chance of stopping them against NHL guys.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Yeah, they wait waaaaaaay too long to bring goalie prospects in. IMO the notion that goalies take longer to develop than defensemen who take longer to develop than forwards is a crock of shit. The only difference is margin for error. If a d-man f***s up, he's only got the goalie to save him. If a goalie f***s up, it's in the net.

A good portion of what makes a goalie good is the mental side of the game. Significantly more so than any other position. It's not just the physical or technical development that takes goalies longer. Like you said, the margin for error is so small.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Lol he kinda looks like Grubauer there.

Is Grubauer a crazy comparison in general for him? Grubs and Nabokov are both reported as 6’1”. I think based on the videos I’ve seen Nabokov might be slightly more athletic, but I feel like Grubs is a great comparable.

Any goalie watches have thoughts on the comparison?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A good portion of what makes a goalie good is the mental side of the game. Significantly more so than any other position. It's not just the physical or technical development that takes goalies longer. Like you said, the margin for error is so small.
One way or another the team needs to figure out sooner if the guy they picked is any good or not. Waiting until they're nearly 30 in a lot of cases is just a waste of time. Figure out if they're good enough or not, if not, move on.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Is Grubauer a crazy comparison in general for him? Grubs and Nabokov are both reported as 6’1”. I think based on the videos I’ve seen Nabokov might be slightly more athletic, but I feel like Grubs is a great comparable.

Any goalie watches have thoughts on the comparison?
IMO he compares more to Georgie because I find he plays small in net which is also Georgie's problem. Gru looked bigger in net therefore covering the upper part of the net better.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
IMO he compares more to Georgie because I find he plays small in net which is also Georgie's problem. Gru looked bigger in net therefore covering the upper part of the net better.
Good thing we got Justus, who while rail thin, looks like he's using Patrick Roy's pads out there. The dude literally looked like the Stay Puft marshmellow man out there two seasons ago.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I see Quick/Bobrovsky in style, but I don't think he's near the athlete of either of them. The real test for Nabokov will be facing NHL shooters from the middle of the ice. International goalies tend to face more shots to the outside and from worse angles, while the NA came is really a middle of the ice game. His work in the high slot and what save he makes there will likely determine if he can pan out or not.

I imagine Nabokov will have a good season or two more in Russia, but it probably won't tell us a bunch of how he translates just due to the different styles of games.

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
I see Quick/Bobrovsky in style, but I don't think he's near the athlete of either of them. The real test for Nabokov will be facing NHL shooters from the middle of the ice. International goalies tend to face more shots to the outside and from worse angles, while the NA came is really a middle of the ice game. His work in the high slot and what save he makes there will likely determine if he can pan out or not.

I imagine Nabokov will have a good season or two more in Russia, but it probably won't tell us a bunch of how he translates just due to the different styles of games.
It really sucks that @Gigantor The Goalie hasn't been around since Nabokov was drafted.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

It took a lot of years for the Avs to refigure this out.

"Come on down to the Pepsi center and see Tyler Arnason and your Colorado Avalanche take on the Chicago Blackhawks, which will feel like a home game for the madmen from Madison Ave."

Pauly Walnuts was the only guy on the team that would go to the front of the net. He wouldn't actually skate there though, rather he just appeared. People forget that part of being Casper the Friendly Ghost, was that he had a knack for appearing at just the right time and place to make something happen. Basically a center version of Rants without that ungodly freaking shot of Mikko's.

As for Nabokov, I think the key is to get to NA ASAP. I kind of think this for all European goalies. Get them over and used to the smaller ice and angles as soon as possible so they have more development time thinking in these dimensions.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: