G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The NBC hype for Shestyorkin before, during and after that game was crazy. I don't think I've ever seen them hype up a young Ranger like that, especially for a debut.

However, I heard a number of people saying that was our most anticipated prospect debut since Leetch, so it might've been deserved.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
His name is actually spelt Shestyorkin.

I really dont understand why they spell it Shesterkin.

As far as I understand, It is spelled Shestyorkin in Russian/Slavic but the 'yo' doesnt have a direct translation to english and the most comprable sound is an 'e'.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he is the best prospect not in the NHL, but it’s a Button list, so take it with a pinch of salt. Kravtsov was listed as #1 a year ago. Button might’ve gotten this one right, but he’s not a reliable source on prospects, in my opinion.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
As far as I understand, It is spelled Shestyorkin in Russian/Slavic but the 'yo' doesnt have a direct translation to english and the most comprable sound is an 'e'.
I think the closest pronunciation to Russian would be Shesteorkin/Shestiorkin, where you say ‘e/i’ sound really fast. Makes it even more painful to write though.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Here I come into a thread thinking "this is a prospect that has been doing so well and just got a win in his first game and looked pretty good doing it, should be a fun thread to read!"

I should've known better, just a bunch of whining and complaining lol

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
His name is actually spelt Shestyorkin.

I really dont understand why they spell it Shesterkin.

It’s obviously the player’s choice.

Why does Jesper Fasth prefer Jesper Fast? Because it was his decision.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Jesper Fasth legally changed his name to Fast.

What makes you think the Rangers decided what to put on Igor’s jersey? Do you honestly think it was their decision?

To think a player doesn’t have control over their last name seems like an absurd stretch.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Shesterkin sounds pretty close to Russian prononciation, if you place a stress on er. Russian ёр sounds similar to, say, ur in words like turn. As far as I understand, er sounds the same way as ur, if sressed.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
What makes you think the Rangers decided what to put on Igor’s jersey? Do you honestly think it was their decision?
When I said they I didnt necessarily mean NYR, I just meant in general.

His Russian jersey's always said Shestyorkin and he was always know as that so was just curious as to why his name changed to Shesterkin.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
When I said they I didnt necessarily mean NYR, I just meant in general.

His Russian jersey's always said Shestyorkin and he was always know as that so was just curious as to why his name changed to Shesterkin.

This is actually quite common with Russian players. Denis Gurianov is actually Denis Guryanov. Evgeni Malkin is actually Yevgeni Malkin. I think it’s time we all get over Russian name changes.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He saw a lot of rubber tonight...3 GA on 49 shots, 0.939 SVS. Pretty good start

He was excellent. The first goal he could've held onto the initial save, and might've wanted back. The second was a missed penalty in front that allowed such a wide open deflection, and obviously nothing he could do on that. The third was an own goal from Trouba. That was the worst defensive game we might've played all season, and thats saying a lot. We were actually outplayed, despite scoring 6. The difference was the goaltending. With a different goalie in there, it could've been a loss.

If Quinn plays this guy consistently and doesn't try to give all the goalies the same playing time, he might take us to the playoffs. Hank and Georgiyev aren't bad, but Shestyorkin is a complete difference maker.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Now the big question... will he set foot in the AHL again? Or will Georgiev be dealt really soon.

His performance last night was outstanding.

I know rolling 3 goalies isn't ideal but right now it seems like Shesty is the best option in net.

Reactions: teddygmr

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Now the big question... will he set foot in the AHL again? Or will Georgiev be dealt really soon.

His performance last night was outstanding.

I know rolling 3 goalies isn't ideal but right now it seems like Shesty is the best option in net.

He's been great, but I'm guessing he will be shuttled back and forth to make sure he gets starts

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hank is starting the next game with Georgiyev as the backup.

Winning doesn’t matter. Trying to keep two inferior players happy is what matters to this team.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Hank is starting the next game with Georgiyev as the backup.

Winning doesn’t matter. Trying to keep two inferior players happy is what matters to this team.

Shesty has give up one goal in each game he should’ve stopped. It’s not like they are taking out a perfect goaltender.

I agree he’s the best option to win games but to thinking he’s going to start every game the rest of the season is totally absurd. This is the NHL. Goalies rotate. He’s definitely put himself in position to start a majority of games to close out the season. Even if (when) Igor wins the starting job next season, he’s going to play 2/3 of games. Get used to it.

Lundqvist has always played well against the Blues.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Shesty has give up one goal in each game he should’ve stopped. It’s not like they are taking out a perfect goaltender.

I agree he’s the best option to win games but to thinking he’s going to start every game the rest of the season is totally absurd. This is the NHL. Goalies rotate. He’s definitely put himself in position to start a majority of games to close out the season. Even if (when) Igor wins the starting job next season, he’s going to play 2/3 of games. Get used to it.

Lundqvist has always played well against the Blues.

Do you mean, he had to stop MacKinnon's breakway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad