Value of: G - Dan Vladar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Flames need to move a goalie to make room for the reigning AHL MVP Dustin Wolf. Could see a couple teams being interested in a young cheap starter like Vladar. Ottawa, Buffalo, maybe Treliving looks to acquire him again for Toronto. Maybe Detroit or Columbus.

His numbers don't look like anything special this year but were brought down by a couple horrendous games.

2nd RD pick too much to ask? Another young player with potential? What does a Vladar trade look like?

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Vladar was terrible from February on, as his only good game was against the last place Ducks, the rest was absolute shit from Vladar.

If I had to place an unbiased value on Daniel Vladar, his value is probably that of a 4th or 5th rounder at this time as his value has taken a hit by his recent performances and that’s being generous on my part.

In no way is Vladar a starter, except in the AHL which is where he might be headed via waivers, if he plays poorly and is outplayed by Wolf during training camp.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Vladar was terrible from February on, as his only good game was against the last place Ducks, the rest was absolute shit from Vladar.

If I had to place an unbiased value on Daniel Vladar, his value is probably that of a 4th or 5th rounder at this time as his value has taken a hit by his recent performances and that’s being generous on my part.

In no way is Vladar a starter, except in the AHL which is where he might be headed via waivers, if he plays poorly and is outplayed by Wolf during training camp.
He was good most of the season and yet rode the pine when Markstrom started to play at a passable level.

Vladar had a weird season. His sv % in games where the Flames were down or up by one, or tied was very high. In situations where the Flames were up by more than one goal it was abysmal.

He has too much potential and there is a serious lack of upcoming young goalies, I bet someone fires a 3rd or 2nd for his potential.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Flames need to move a goalie to make room for the reigning AHL MVP Dustin Wolf. Could see a couple teams being interested in a young cheap starter like Vladar. Ottawa, Buffalo, maybe Treliving looks to acquire him again for Toronto. Maybe Detroit or Columbus.

His numbers don't look like anything special this year but were brought down by a couple horrendous games.

2nd RD pick too much to ask? Another young player with potential? What does a Vladar trade look like?

If Treliving was interested in a Flames goalie I'd suspect it would be Markstrom that's his guy.

Reactions: banks

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'd want a 3rd because that's what we paid for him. If the market is that bad though I'll settle for a 4th just because it frees up a spot for Wolf.

I like Vladar but Markstrom wont get moved and Wolf should be the future starter. If someone wants Markstrom I'd move him instead.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Anyone who can't even put up .900 in a Daryl Sutter system is probably a goalie I'd steer clear of.
Like the guy who finished 2nd in Vezina last year? Anyone who makes silly posts about Dutter is a poster I'd steer clear of. Last year every player on the team almost had career seasons. This year everyone except 3 players had abysmal seasons. Same coach.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like the guy who finished 2nd in Vezina last year? Anyone who makes silly posts about Dutter is a poster I'd steer clear of. Last year every player on the team almost had career seasons. This year everyone except 3 players had abysmal seasons. Same coach.

No most of their team had normal seasons given their history aside from Poopydeau, 21-22 was a season where guys massively overperformed.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'd want a 3rd because that's what we paid for him. If the market is that bad though I'll settle for a 4th just because it frees up a spot for Wolf.

I like Vladar but Markstrom wont get moved and Wolf should be the future starter. If someone wants Markstrom I'd move him instead.

That is not how this works.

I might be curious for the Sabres, though. Bad numbers, but from the little I’ve seen there’s actual potential. Idk, not sure if it’s better/worse than hoping UPL does anything.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
He’s an OK backup, although I’d suggest you can find similar fungible goalies on the UFA market for less than his cap of $2.2MM per season.

but I expect someone would like him enough to give up a third for him.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
He was good most of the season and yet rode the pine when Markstrom started to play at a passable level.

Vladar had a weird season. His sv % in games where the Flames were down or up by one, or tied was very high. In situations where the Flames were up by more than one goal it was abysmal.

He has too much potential and there is a serious lack of upcoming young goalies, I bet someone fires a 3rd or 2nd for his potential.
We paid a 3rd to get him and has had 2 poor seasons in a row by the numbers. I can't see us getting the same return for him 2 years older and now having shown cracks in his upside.

Reactions: jct45

Ledge And Dairy

Vladar's SV% is heavily skewed by Calgary's top of the league shot suppression. A large portion of the goals that were scored against him were often from things like tips, rebounds, bad line changes, etc. This is also why Markstrom even though his game very visibly improved after his 1st child was born (Feb 27th) he still only posted a .901sv% in his final 20 games of the season. This is a very different situation from Georgiev vs Shesterkin last year where 1 was hands down the better goalie.

Eye test says he is a very capable goalie who absolutely has the potential to be a 1A/1B moving forward. If it weren't for Calgary being in a cap crunch and the Flames having the top goalie prospect in the league in Dustin Wolf, Vladar would almost certainly not be available.

I think people should really read this article that came out about him back at the end of January when he nearly stole the starting job from Markstrom. People on here tend to stat watch too much and it really shows in cases like this.

IMO Vladar's trade value is probably that of a mid late 2nd but I doubt he will return that. I think a 3rd + a relatively young depth prospect (23-27 years old), or a reclamation project is more of a reasonable return.

At the end of the day it all depends on the goalie market though. Vladar is cheap with term, and if he can provide 30-35+ good starts a season next year then I think there will be a few teams that are interested

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The value of Dan Vladar starts and ends with whatever pick a GM is willing to offer for him, if there are any. He's an average backup. A dime a dozen goalie who hasn't shown he can be more than that. If another team has interest, a 3rd or 4th should be enough.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Doesn’t Wolf have a option down so they really done have to make a move they just may want too

Ledge And Dairy

Anyone who can't even put up .900 in a Daryl Sutter system is probably a goalie I'd steer clear of.
Why? Vladar faced so few shots per game that any that actually got through to him were generally redirected, rebounds, or pretty high quality. One of the core parts of Sutter's system is shot suppression. The only goalies that faced less shots/60 were the 3 Carolina goalies and the 2 Seattle goalies. Markstrom only finished 2 more spots back from that (only David Rittich in Winnipeg between them, which is odd considering Hellebuyck was ranked 37th in SA/60).

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

I wouldn't say Calgary HAS to move a goalie. The Flames have been very lucky not to have suffered any injuries of note with their goaltenders.

Despite his relatively low numbers any Flames watchers will know Vladar will be a #1 goalie one day.

He ranked 53rd among goalies playing 500 minutes or more last season. His even strength Sv% was 0.906 and GAA was 2.41. At all strengths is where is numbers dipped (he was statistically tied with Markstrom).

So to expect a 2nd rounder for him is not out of the question in a straight up deal.

But adding him to the equation in a multi player deal could elevate his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad