Value of: G - Dan Vladar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't say Calgary HAS to move a goalie. The Flames have been very lucky not to have suffered any injuries of note with their goaltenders.

Despite his relatively low numbers any Flames watchers will know Vladar will be a #1 goalie one day.

He ranked 53rd among goalies playing 500 minutes or more last season. His even strength Sv% was 0.906 and GAA was 2.41. At all strengths is where is numbers dipped (he was statistically tied with Markstrom).

So to expect a 2nd rounder for him is not out of the question in a straight up deal.

But adding him to the equation in a multi player deal could elevate his value.
Good post. Anyone who has watched him sees the talent. If we HAVE to move a goalie and I believe we should. I'd prefer Markstrom. I get the no trade, I just wonder if Elias is leaving and Tanev is leaving whether he'd waive or not.

Vladar is big, quick and just needs reps. I wouldn't move him for less than a 2nd or 3rd and 4th. If that isn't there I'm keeping him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That is not how this works.

I might be curious for the Sabres, though. Bad numbers, but from the little I’ve seen there’s actual potential. Idk, not sure if it’s better/worse than hoping UPL does anything.

Last season was the “eh expectations are nonexistent, let’s see if there’s some untapped potential in these guys” season. We need a goalie that’s actually good now. Maybe that’s the only type of move that ends up making sense (eg, if Winnipeg’s actual demands for Hellebuyck look anything like what their fans on HF seem to be expecting), but I’ll be pretty disappointed if that’s the case.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Not everyone. And it isn't hate IMO. Just an older vs. younger player mentality.

Personally I think Markstrom is going to rebound big time next season. and therein lies the conundrum when it comes to Valdar and Wolf.
I think it depends on what Lindholm does. If he wants out then the Flames might waive the white flag and rebuild unless they can get another top first line center in a series of re-tool trades. If they can't replace Lindholm then I could see them trading Markstrom

Reactions: Nanuuk

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not everyone. And it isn't hate IMO. Just an older vs. younger player mentality.

Personally I think Markstrom is going to rebound big time next season. and therein lies the conundrum when it comes to Valdar and Wolf.

I mean the VAST majority of people seem to be trashing Markstrom all I hear about is how much he sucks.

Ledge And Dairy

I mean the VAST majority of people seem to be trashing Markstrom all I hear about is how much he sucks.
People who have negative opinions are often more vocal than those who don't. Personally I think Markstrom is a much better mentor figure for Wolf. I also think with a prospect like Wolf you want to ease them into the NHL to take over a starting job a few years down the line, especially with his height. I look at Nashville and see a team that did a masterclass job at this with the transition of Rinne to Saros. While I like Vladar and see immense potential to become a legitimate 1A/1B I don't think he can currently handle the workload needed to shelter Wolf into the NHL.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Not fetching a 2nd rounder.

Colorado Avalanche 4th rounder, 2023 for Vladar to the Sharks? I'd do that, though.

He's a guy I've always thought was interesting... 25, on the books for 2 years at 2.2m to UFA. Think that's a good fit if your coaching team thinks he has some potential.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I'd much prefer moving Markstrom to Vladar. I'd move Markstrom for free. Vladar I'd want a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th.
A backup goalie with a career sub .900 sv% after 3 years for a 2nd? Shit a decent starter is often only worth a 2nd. That's insane ask

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
A backup goalie with a career sub .900 sv% after 3 years for a 2nd? Shit a decent starter is often only worth a 2nd. That's insane ask
It's what I'd want. He's young, big, cheap and quick. He's poised for a breakout IMO. I'd be happy to keep him honestly. It's hard to post good numbers when the coach throws out any semblance of a goaltending plan and you'll go 2 months with no starts then get back to back starts. I think whoever gets Vladar will be very glad they did. We got a 2nd for the Calgary tower. Vladar is twice the goalie.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It's what I'd want. He's young, big, cheap and quick. He's poised for a breakout IMO. I'd be happy to keep him honestly. It's hard to post good numbers when the coach throws out any semblance of a goaltending plan and you'll go 2 months with no starts then get back to back starts. I think whoever gets Vladar will be very glad they did. We got a 2nd for the Calgary tower. Vladar is twice the goalie.
Not only that, but the Flames were very good at shot suppression. Often both goalies would go for long streches without any work and when they would finally get a shot or two they'd be of the high danger variety.

Reactions: Double Dion

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Flames need to move a goalie to make room for the reigning AHL MVP Dustin Wolf. Could see a couple teams being interested in a young cheap starter like Vladar. Ottawa, Buffalo, maybe Treliving looks to acquire him again for Toronto. Maybe Detroit or Columbus.

His numbers don't look like anything special this year but were brought down by a couple horrendous games.

2nd RD pick too much to ask? Another young player with potential? What does a Vladar trade look like?
Maybe they include him in a Tanev trade to increase his return. Or whatever dman they move.

I do think a 2nd is probably too much.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not a chance in hell you get a 2nd for him.
We got a 3rd for Rittich.
We got a 2nd for Henrik Karlsson

We traded a 2nd for a goalie with a very similar profile, but less accomplished AND older. His name was Miikka Kipprusoff. Maybe you've heard of him.

Vladar is better and younger than all 3 guys I listed at time they were traded. He's well thought of when you listen to guys like Woodley who know a bit about goaltending.

Maybe they include him in a Tanev trade to increase his return. Or whatever dman they move.

I do think a 2nd is probably too much.
I don't think it is at all. Goaltending is the hardest thing to predict, but the most crucial thing to have. You'd think a Leafs fan would realize that by now ;)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

We traded a 2nd for a goalie with a very similar profile, but less accomplished AND older. His name was Miikka Kipprusoff. Maybe you've heard of him.

Vladar is better and younger than all 3 guys I listed at time they were traded. He's well thought of when you listen to guys like Woodley who know a bit about goaltending.

None of this is relevant to Dan Vladar's value....and some of it is wrong (Flames got a 7th rounder for Henrik Karlsson, not a 2nd rounder).

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
None of this is relevant to Dan Vladar's value....and some of it is wrong (Flames got a 7th rounder for Henrik Karlsson, not a 2nd rounder).
I put the wrong crappy goalie sorry. It was Retto Berra. If you can't see the parallel I'm not sure how to help you with that. I mean comparables are how everything in life from real estate to businesses are bought and sold.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

I don't think it is at all. Goaltending is the hardest thing to predict, but the most crucial thing to have. You'd think a Leafs fan would realize that by now ;)
Husso was a 3rd last year.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He was 27 and is 6'2" and not as athletic as Vladar. Vladar is 25 and 6'5". I mean it's a valid debate and you could be correct his value is a 3rd. I just wouldn't trade him for that unless I couldn't convince Markstrom to waive. I'd rather give Markstrom away for free than get a 3rd for Vladar.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Anyone who can't even put up .900 in a Daryl Sutter system is probably a goalie I'd steer clear of.
Sutter's system was horrendous for save percentage. His whole system was not letting the other team have possession, which led to very few goals against. But then there would be huge defensive breakdowns that would lead to grade A chances against. The number of shots the flames gave up was very low, but the number of odd man rushes was very high.

Man you guys really REALLY hate Markstrom
If Markstrom was average last year, the Flames defeat the Oilers in the playoffs last year and cruise into the playoffs this year.

People like Markstrom, but they are also very frustrated with him.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He was 27 and is 6'2" and not as athletic as Vladar. Vladar is 25 and 6'5". I mean it's a valid debate and you could be correct his value is a 3rd. I just wouldn't trade him for that unless I couldn't convince Markstrom to waive. I'd rather give Markstrom away for free than get a 3rd for Vladar.
If they got a 3rd I think they’d be real happy. Not sure they could get that, but it’s in the ballpark.

His save percentage probably isn’t as big of a concern as some want to make it. His size and athleticism will interest teams more. Whether it’s a 3rd or 4th, that’s around what they’d get.

A team who would love him is Vegas. He’s built to play for Cassidy and his AAV fits. I could see them look at him as Hill is likely going to market and Thompson is back starting next year.

Someone is going to now overpay Hill. Overlooking Vegas just forces everything outside. They had two games against Dallas, they didn’t give up a shot from the slot until deep into the 3rd. It’s why all their goalies this year had great numbers.

He’s perfect for Cassidy.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

To be fair, husso was a 3rd just for his rights. He was a pending free agent with no contract. They paid a 3rd just to be able to negotiate with him early which is a lot considering but they didn't want to gamble on him speaking to other teams.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Why? Vladar faced so few shots per game that any that actually got through to him were generally redirected, rebounds, or pretty high quality. One of the core parts of Sutter's system is shot suppression. The only goalies that faced less shots/60 were the 3 Carolina goalies and the 2 Seattle goalies. Markstrom only finished 2 more spots back from that (only David Rittich in Winnipeg between them, which is odd considering Hellebuyck was ranked 37th in SA/60).

You're not really sharing the whole picture.

Vladar also faced among the lowest high danger shots and expected goals against in the league as well. The mix of shot quality he ended up facing was about average to below average relative to the league. He actually did pretty well on the high quality stuff but was letting in bad goals. His average goal distance was once of the worst in the league.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If they got a 3rd I think they’d be real happy. Not sure they could get that, but it’s in the ballpark.

His save percentage probably isn’t as big of a concern as some want to make it. His size and athleticism will interest teams more. Whether it’s a 3rd or 4th, that’s around what they’d get.

A team who would love him is Vegas. He’s built to play for Cassidy and his AAV fits. I could see them look at him as Hill is likely going to market and Thompson is back starting next year.

Someone is going to now overpay Hill. Overlooking Vegas just forces everything outside. They had two games against Dallas, they didn’t give up a shot from the slot until deep into the 3rd. It’s why all their goalies this year had great numbers.

He’s perfect for Cassidy.
I mean nothing you're saying is ridiculous. I just wouldn't move him unless I got a 2nd or a 3rd and a 4th. I know how highly goalie people view him. I honestly think it's likely that's what he brings.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1685971820882.png

The guy he beat in save percentage and goals against was a Vezina contender a year ago. I think it's worth considering the Flames had a bad year as a team.

I'm on the 'he's due for a breakout' wagon and hope he gets traded to a 1A/B type situation. I think he's as good as Vanecek and Vejmelka. He's no future Russian Vezina winner but I do think there is a starter there.

He also almost set a Flames record with 8 or 9 straight games with a point.

To me, it appeared Sutter didn't trust him at all though.

My idea would be him to the Oil for a 3rd or 4th pick and we platoon him with Skinner. Give me a 60-40 split between the 2 and let's see what happens. Buyout Campbell.

Reactions: McSuper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad