Future of Jesse Puljujärvi

#4 overall pick in the 2016 draft by the Edmonton Oilers, was finally traded to Carolina Hurricanes

• Total voters

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He can sign an AHL deal when he recovers and show a team where he's at. The guy will stop have his options.

People live to pile on. Reality is that he's a productive NHL forward when healthy.

Is he though? Really?

The vast majority of his NHL points have come while playing with one or the other or both of the two best players in the world. Outside of that, he doesn't seem able to generate squat offensively.

Guys like Nuge and Hyman are apparently 100pt players in that situation. Puljujarvi was like...a 30pt guy in that same role?

Reactions: capazzo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's not true, his first year back in Edmonton after his previous recovery he was a terror on the forecheck and drove fantastic possession results. You can go and check! He fit the role of the prototypical big bottom sixer that drives the net and keeps the puck out of your zone. Teams want that. Have a look at Oilers boards from back then, most of the fanbase thought he needed to be locked up on a long term extension!

He didn't drive jack squat. He played minutes with McDavid and/or Draisaitl, who actually drive possession metrics.

Reactions: Duke74 and capazzo

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I was always suspicious about the Oilers picking Puljujarvi after Jarmo said he talked to Puljujarvi's grade school teachers back in Finland. And then the Blue Jackets passed on him despite Jesse being the consensus 3rd best prospect. It was implying that there existed some deep issue with his personality they were trying to learn how far back it went (and thus how difficult it would be to overcome).

Puljujarvi did end up being a bit stubborn in accepting that he needed to play different at the NHL level and didn't seem to put together all his physical advantages into a complete package so maybe Jarmo was onto something...

Reactions: Duke74

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Guys like Nuge and Hyman are apparently 100pt players in that situation. Puljujarvi was like...a 30pt guy in that same role?

You're looking at their powerplay driven results.

Puljujarvi often had a better 5v5 scoring rate than RNH (which isn't saying much). RNH is obviously the much more valuable player but you're not contextualizing the stats accurately.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A simple check of the numbers would have spared you this mistake.

Here's McDavid's 2021-22 results with and without Puljujarvi:

I'm not sure what you think this is suggesting. But in his limited minutes away from McDavid/Draisaitl, Puljujarvi wasn't some great "checking forward". He was playing the softest minutes imaginable. He played ineffective minutes with superstars, and he played some butter soft sheltered minutes away from them. He was not some super effective play driver or checking line ace in either case.

And it's truly insane to suggest that Puljujarvi was somehow making McDavid a more effective player. :laugh:

Reactions: Duke74 and capazzo

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
That's not true, his first year back in Edmonton after his previous recovery he jwas a terror on the forecheck and drove fantastic possession results. You can go and check! He fit the role of the prototypical big bottom sixer that drives the net and keeps the puck out of your zone. Teams want that. Have a look at Oilers boards from back then, most of the fanbase thought he needed to be locked up on a long term extension!
His highest corsi is 61.7 and he played with McD and Drai and had 65.2% o-zone starts and 93.3 oiSV% that year, the reason he kept the puck out his zone was that he was basically used as a screen for McDavid and Drai without touching the puck.

If Puljujärvi is your best bottom 6er you’re not in the playoff picture without two of the best offensive players in the league dragging you there.

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
A simple check of the numbers would have spared you this mistake.

Here's McDavid's 2021-22 results with and without Puljujarvi:

the JP fancy stats crowd are so exhausting

yea he can backcheck alright and he's so unconfident that he never even tries to make offensive plays so he's defensively safe. He has been strapped to two of the best players on the planet and gets absolutely nothing done. This guy is not an NHLer

Reactions: Coffey and capazzo

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure what you think this is suggesting. But in his limited minutes away from McDavid/Draisaitl, Puljujarvi wasn't some great "checking forward". He was playing the softest minutes imaginable. He played ineffective minutes with superstars, and he played some butter soft sheltered minutes away from them. He was not some super effective play driver or checking line ace in either case.

And it's truly insane to suggest that Puljujarvi was somehow making McDavid a more effective player. :laugh:

No one argued that.

You have to admit that the numbers simply aren't on your side of the argument.

He put up positive goal differentials even in Edmonton's bottom six and had 58-60% xGF away from each of McDavid and Draisaitl.

It would be by every objective measure a good year for a checking forward, which was the full extent of my claim.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is he though? Really?

The vast majority of his NHL points have come while playing with one or the other or both of the two best players in the world. Outside of that, he doesn't seem able to generate squat offensively.

He is. I never understood why people use that argument. A non-productive NHL forward would not get the time of day on those lines. Apart, he's still a bottom six caliber forward and was willing to add a physical edge prior to the trade last season.

He's a fast, physically imposing forward that wins puck battles. There's room for a guy like that on teams if he's committed to improving. There are a lot of weaker players out there who have roles.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
His highest corsi is 61.7 and he played with McD and Drai and had 65.2% o-zone stars and 93.3 oiSV% that year, the reason he kept the puck out his zone was that he was basically used as a screen for McDavid and Drai without touching the puck.

If Puljujärvi is your best bottom 6er you’re not in the playoff picture without two of the best offensive players in the league dragging you there.

If that's your argument I'm guessing you don't know how to look at the results when McDavid and Draisaitl weren't on the ice. "Best bottom sixer" is not my claim.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
If that's your argument I'm guessing you don't know how to look at the results when McDavid and Draisaitl weren't on the ice. "Best bottom sixer" is not my claim.
How come Oilers had depth problems if they had multiple ”terrific” bottomer sixers?

Puljujärvi on ice made absolutely zero difference, he was basically the most useless player in the whole League, zero offense and not good enough defensively to even be applied in the d-zone. He was basically always just skating around.

Why would’ve he been benched by every coach he had in the NHL if he was ”terrific” posession player? Why are you all alone with this opinion if he was a ”terrific” bottom sixer?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How come Oilers had depth problems if they had multiple ”terrific” bottomer sixers?

Puljujärvi on ice made absolutely zero difference, he was basically the most useless player in the whole League, zero offense and not good enough defensively to even be applied in the d-zone. He was basically always just skating around.

Why would’ve he been benched by every coach he had in the NHL if he was ”terrific” posession player? Why are you all alone with this opinion if he was a ”terrific” bottom sixer?

I'm not alone in the opinion that Puljujarvi was briefly a good checker when his hips were okay a couple years ago. Go read Oilers boards back then, folks wanted to give him a long term deal!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He is. I never understood why people use that argument. A non-productive NHL forward would not get the time of day on those lines. Apart, he's still a bottom six caliber forward and was willing to add a physical edge prior to the trade last season.

He's a fast, physically imposing forward that wins puck battles. There's room for a guy like that on teams if he's committed to improving. There are a lot of weaker players out there who have roles.

When that player is a former Top-5 pick, they absolutely get the time of day to try to salvage something out of them. Heck, even Jake Virtanen got a run as a Top-6 Forward even though he had a lot of the same problems as Puljujarvi.

Sure, he's big and can be a physical presence, but he lacks the hockey sense to apply those tools effectively. He has also always lacked the agility and effective stick to be useful in that sort of role.

Just being big size and a former high pick will get a guy a ton of extra opportunities, but it still has a shelf life. At the end of the day, if he's missing the critical tools to apply the tools he does have effectively, he's just not a useful NHLer.

He's never been physically imposing as an NHLer because it's just far too easy to spin out of his path and he can't adjust. The hits he did make when he was "healthy" were often completely out of the way of where he really ought to be. He was also below average in "puck battles" because his actual handling of the puck even if he won it, was poor. He's not a good passer, and moreover, he really never demonstrated any awareness of how to use his stick effectively to control lanes and dictate play defensively and on the forecheck. He just sort of barged in out of control and sometimes made contact with someone.

A lot of smaller, physically weaker players are massively more effective on the forecheck because they understand how to apply pressure intelligently.

Reactions: OKR and capazzo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No one argued that.

You have to admit that the numbers simply aren't on your side of the argument.

He put up positive goal differentials even in Edmonton's bottom six and had 58-60% xGF away from each of McDavid and Draisaitl.

It would be by every objective measure a good year for a checking forward, which was the full extent of my claim.

What you're relying on here, is some very misleading "numbers" without proper context.

That year, he played something like ~10% of his even strength minutes away from Connor/Drats. With butter soft deployment in those limited minutes.

That is absolutely not anything like the profile of a good "checking forward". That's the profile of a depth filler player.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Because school age Jesse Puljujärvi was too stupid
to even try learn english to having even OK career in NHL
i don't see him having future in SHL, NLA, DEL, Czech's extraliga etc euro leagues.

Instead of that i see Puljujärvi being franchise winger in Oulun Kärpät
and after retirement Kärpät will retire number 9 top to rafters in Raksila arena.

• Haha
Reactions: capazzo and Coffey

just a hockey fan

Apr 14, 2023
How come people are overly negative whenever a Finnish player is discussed? I've never seen the amount of negativity towards any other nationality, always Finnish players and teams and people... pretty interesting. Even weirder is the apparent need to prove to everyone by any means necessary that this Finn or that Finn is horrible and never had anything positive about them. A very common theme on social media and in real life from my experience, people are very very passionate about Finns it seems

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
How come people are overly negative whenever a Finnish player is discussed? I've never seen the amount of negativity towards any other nationality, always Finnish players and teams and people... pretty interesting. Even weirder is the apparent need to prove to everyone by any means necessary that this Finn or that Finn is horrible and never had anything positive about them. A very common theme on social media and in real life from my experience, people are very very passionate about Finns it seems
Literally nobody in the thread has said anything about his nationality. Him not being a great hockey player has nothing to do with him being Finnish, and nobody has implied anything of the sort.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Great history lesson for future draft evaluators to not overlook hockey IQ even if they guy has all the tools. Clearly Jarmo knew the guy was dumb as hell.
A lot of speculation was going on about Puljujarvi and his learning. I'm not going to make any claim, but that speculation certainly existed.

"It's great to hear everybody's opinions, and the mock drafts and this stuff," Kekalainen said. "It's awesome to read it. But the truth is, the way we do our work ... our scouts have seen those guys play again and again and again. We've interviewed them. Our scouts have met with their parents, their cousins, their team's athletic therapy teachers, their kindergarten teachers.

I'll let others speculate on why he would have scouts meet with Puljujarvi's kindergarten teacher.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Even weirder is how like 80% of your posts are about this perceived anti-Finn conspiracy.

Perhaps you as a Finn just notice criticism towards Finnish players because you primarily browse threads about Finnish players?

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
probably should be done but if Gurianov got a contract then obviously the market exists for a boneheaded first rounder that doesnt fit anywhere

Reactions: wmupreds

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Have you seen such negativity regarding someone like Roope Hintz, or Mikko Rantanen?

Perhaps the issue just is that Puljujärvi sucks, have you considered that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad