Value of: Functional Toughness to the Oilers

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Can he defend worth a crap anymore? Make a decent breakout pass? If the answer to these questions is yes, what would you like in return for him? Would Kulak be a starting point? What is his contract situation and would you be able to retain salary?

Hawks definetly would be able to retain on him 50% (He is signed thru next year)

Essentially the McCabe deal is what Hawks would likely look for. A future 1st or a good young prospect (Not a dman, Hawks are overloaded with D prospects)

Taking back Kulak is issue for Hawks not cap wise just reality that he we would be blocking a young defender like Korchinski, Allan or Del Mastro next year

Oilers would likely need to find someone else to take on Kulak

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Depends on skill level ofc and what price Oilers are willing to pay.

Oilers should try to get someone like Givani Smith if its 4th liner you are looking for. I think he's pretty underrated.
Is he still on SJ? How is Kostin doing for you guys? He's a guy that I'd love to get back but his AAV is too high for us to fit him in without a 3rd team retaining. Smith isn't that great of a fighter but does he hit lots?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Is he still on SJ? How is Kostin doing for you guys? He's a guy that I'd love to get back but his AAV is too high for us to fit him in without a 3rd team retaining. Smith isn't that great of a fighter but does he hit lots?

I'm not a sharks fan but a Wings fan funnily enough. Kostin was also pretty good with the Wings. Both are guys that has some skill with the puck so they are not going to be dead weight. They can fore check. Smith is better on the back check than Kostin imo. Both can play those 8-12 mins a game and not mess things up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
that's going to create some problems down the road if it becomes ongoing tit for tat of the good players getting hurt. At some point the league might actually have to give a crap about the value of human life if it's the human lives that bring TV ratings.
It wont be because the Habs initiate. We lost Laine to a knee on knee and Dach was targeted with an elbow. If the perpetrators in BOTH cases were punished then there would be no need to pay back and deter.

Don't blame the victim for making sure we are no longer the victim.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It wont be because the Habs initiate. We lost Laine to a knee on knee and Dach was targeted with an elbow. If the perpetrators in BOTH cases were punished then there would be no need to pay back and deter.

Don't blame the victim for making sure we are no longer the victim.
The Laine hit didnt look intentional to me. Maybe thr Dach hit was. Behind that an Wi-Fi going anfter a star is a code violation. And you know the stupidity works. If two wrongs make a right in your view so will four and six. I don’t really care about what teams are involved so much as it’s just going to force the league to act if the stars actually get attacked and injured.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Laine hit didnt look intentional to me. Maybe thr Dach hit was. Behind that an Wi-Fi going anfter a star is a code violation. And you know the stupidity works. If two wrongs make a right in your view so will four and six. I don’t really care about what teams are involved so much as it’s just going to force the league to act if the stars actually get attacked and injured.
So the league should act.

We have Hutson and CC, neither can play a rough, tough game, so anyone targeting them, or any other players, simply can't get away from it. If the NHL can't stop it, we will. Everything else is noise...

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So the league should act.

We have Hutson and CC, neither can play a rough, tough game, so anyone targeting them, or any other players, simply can't get away from it. If the NHL can't stop it, we will. Everything else is noise...
Define targeting. Both will be hit legitimately. If a legitimate hit is targeting then the league is broken. Which it may be.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Why in the blue hell do we need a fighter? Sorry, but fighting is hardly a thing anymore, and it doesn't affect the outcome of games. The Oilers need a few things, but toughness? Meh. What they really need is a trip to Oz, because they could sure use a little heart, courage and brains right about now.

Gudas is exactly what we need, unfortunately the Ducks shouldn't be trading him, and he has previously said he has no interest in playing in Canada.
I honestly can't shake the thought that the 2 best guys we could get for 2RD are Gudas and Larsson and neither guy would come to our team. Either one would be so welcome as 2RD IMO.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So that if you don't get an opportunity to paste the other team's top player someone has to answer for the BS. Do you think that Connor and Leon enjoy getting rough rides every single game because there will be no response? They will get suspended or hurt at this rate.
A fighter will do nothing to deter anyone. We need the boys on the bunch to grow some nuts and add that element.

Reactions: joestevens29

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I honestly can't shake the thought that the 2 best guys we could get for 2RD are Gudas and Larsson and neither guy would come to our team. Either one would be so welcome as 2RD IMO.
Gudas is a f***in beauty.

Good on the Ducks for that one.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ideally a 3rd or 4th line winger or 2 and maybe a solid #4/#5 RHD. The team is butter soft without Kane and with Brown in the AHL. Bonus points if your team can retain some cap.
Their defense is a mess. Broberg playing well, just coming into his own. He was good in playoffs. They miss him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
They did. And it proved that we don't need a fighter. We need the guys on the bench to step up and show some passion. They did last night, and we won. No need for a knuckle dragger.
I didn’t say anything about a knuckle dragger. Read the post I quoted. You said ‘(fighting) doesn’t impact the outcome of games’. One day later you admit that it does. Seems strange.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I would like some more team toughness and a bit more speed back in the line up. It was a great sign to see Stecher and Perry step up and show some emotion. Fighting does impact the game, and sometimes it impacts the dressing room even more.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I didn’t say anything about a knuckle dragger. Read the post I quoted. You said ‘(fighting) doesn’t impact the outcome of games’. One day later you admit that it does. Seems strange.
Fine, having a fighter in the lineup doesn't do anything to affect the outcome of games. I also said numerous times that we needed the guys on our roster to show some toughness rather than trading for a fighter. Looks like I was correct in my overall point, even if I said one piece that was incorrect.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
They did. And it proved that we don't need a fighter. We need the guys on the bench to step up and show some passion. They did last night, and we won. No need for a knuckle dragger.
I mean you can't expect them to do that on a nightly basis.

Stetcher is tiny and Perry could hurt his hip. That's not who should be doing this stuff. They are having to fill roles they aren't equipped for.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I mean you can't expect them to do that on a nightly basis.

Stetcher is tiny and Perry could hurt his hip. That's not who should be doing this stuff. They are having to fill roles they aren't equipped for.
Fighting doesn't happen or need to happen on a nightly basis. As long as we have guys willing to step up when they need to, we don't need a fighter. Adding a 2RD is the priority, and someone who is more equipped to fight would be a great fit. But this team isn't going to live and die based on not having a fighter in the lineup. We can always add more speed and toughness, I'm not saying the team is perfect, all I'm saying is that adding those elements isn't going to help much when the team, until last night, hadn't shown any heart this season yet.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Fighting doesn't happen or need to happen on a nightly basis. As long as we have guys willing to step up when they need to, we don't need a fighter. Adding a 2RD is the priority, and someone who is more equipped to fight would be a great fit. But this team isn't going to live and die based on not having a fighter in the lineup. We can always add more speed and toughness, I'm not saying the team is perfect, all I'm saying is that adding those elements isn't going to help much when the team, until last night, hadn't shown any heart this season yet.
I just saw it more as some vets made a gutsy play to do what the team needed because no one else would

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad