Full clip of McDavid's expletive-filled rant at Oilers teammates drops

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
the best players on the team generally are the ones that work the hardest. Motivation and "presence" has almost nothing to do with physical stature, cold stares, or prepared speeches.

The Oilers play for Mcdavid because he leads by example.

I know we all hate the "if you ever played you would know this" line but holy shit some of you guys are making it painfully obvious you've never been in a locker room before.

I have wondered off and on if McD is 'The Voice' in the locker room or the polar opposite. He has elite skillsets as a player and makes more than the rest of team which washes out with his skills. He puts up the points, he earns the contract moreso than anyone else out there with exceptions. But what is his attitude like amongst his players? Is the team -really- motivated by him? Are they envious of him? Do they view him as a whiner whose skillsets 'make it look easy' while the others struggle and are tired of being told and shown that they're not as good as him? A lot of factors affect a team's dynamics and McD might be his very own worst enemy. Is the team fed up with him?

If he's expecting people to show up by 'being more like him' and harping on it, I can see that burning out people and creating dissention against him.

I feel like he doesn't say much and when he does he's condescending and the team is like f-k him, we'll wait til he shows up first. And when he doesn't, they lose.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The ones poking fun at McDavid for not being the best speaker and getting upset are the same who arent man or woman enough to do it in the first place

Sorry not every sports leader sounds like theyre in a movie and perfects public speaking

Spoken like someone who wont ever be in that situation, or any of significance for that matter

Whats wrong, never loved or been good enough at something to be upset? Youre a perfect example for my above post
you got me there, it’s looking less and less likely i’ll ever captain the oilers. what a dumb post lmao

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I thought it was great and it clearly worked as they rallied back in the series. I knew there would be a group on here complaining about it (and it's the usual suspects responding in this thread trying to make it into a big deal).

Whole series was enjoyable though, I thought the least personable one of the guys they followed was Quinn.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
I have wondered off and on if McD is 'The Voice' in the locker room or the polar opposite. He has elite skillsets as a player and makes more than the rest of team which washes out with his skills. He puts up the points, he earns the contract moreso than anyone else out there with exceptions. But what is his attitude like amongst his players? Is the team -really- motivated by him? Are they envious of him? Do they view him as a whiner whose skillsets 'make it look easy' while the others struggle and are tired of being told and shown that they're not as good as him? A lot of factors affect a team's dynamics and McD might be his very own worst enemy. Is the team fed up with him?

If he's expecting people to show up by 'being more like him' and harping on it, I can see that burning out people and creating dissention against him.

I feel like he doesn't say much and when he does he's condescending and the team is like f-k him, we'll wait til he shows up first. And when he doesn't, they lose.
That could be it. The best player shouldn't always be the captain. It distracts from his headspace for the game. He can't really screech like this more than a few times or it'll get old. Just like any coach loses effectiveness over time, a captain could too, especially as a screecher. You don't want your star player to lose the room.

The only argument to push for the star to always be captain is that they're probably locked in there for several years. But why not commit to a regular player who's a really good listener type of guy who can read a room, for a year? Maybe two. It's not that bad. Coaches get rotated like that too. It might even improve their game. A star player can really only go down due to the added pressure to make speeches, on top of needing to score.

People already accept that really talented former players aren't always functional coaches. It's certainly possible talented players aren't always talented captains as well. You said this well in this case with the captain probably getting frustrated with his team's lack of skill. He's not able to relate enough to teach or to motivate in the same way Gretzky couldn't as a coach. This vast skill divide makes miscommunication more likely. I don't think it's easy for him to level with the guys who aren't naturals. Like you said, those guys probably won't be moved by an out of touch guy screeching at them no matter what he does on the ice.

There's been this weird competition for the youngest captain award for some time now, which really only goes to the young star player but not necessarily the young talented captain.

With all that said, I think the clip was actually intended for him to look bad. For some reason. I think this because they play a creepy sound tone, ever so slightly noticeable, in the background as he goes around ranting. Don't understand the motivation of adding a creepy sound tone rather than just showing the pure clip. The trainer knows this footage could be used against McDavid at the time of filming, and walks in front of the camera to shield him. The creepy sound tone they added in suggests this footage is being used to make him look worse than the clip already is on its own. Maybe someone in the media is upset about something?

Last edited:

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I see a leader here that wants to win and deserves to be paid. The guy will play until he can't anymore.
Scoring goals and setting records makes him a great player, not necessarily a leader. It's the fine difference between being winning awards for great play and winning the Cup as part of a team.

Great leaders lead by both example and humility. I don't see the later with McDavid. Refusing to accept the Conn Smythe speaks volumes to this. Greatness on the ice is measured by numbers, but you are measured by how you handle loss and hardship because it's a daily part of all of our lives, some moreso than others. Those are the moments where you see the real person underneath the skills and namesake.

In the video, is McDavid really mad at everyone in the locker room? Nah. just himself. That moment we saw the great player realize that he needs these other people to fight alongside him. That moment could have been inspiring, he could have approached it as a moment to pull everyone together, remind them that all of us are important and that this was OUR moment and OUR time, to acknowledge that it was hard, that we wern't showing up like we all should be and we had to band together, go to war and fight. That moment alone could have won them the Cup.

But how does he respond? By yelling at everyone, who are as frustrated as him.

I don't see a leader.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Scoring goals and setting records makes him a great player, not necessarily a leader. It's the fine difference between being winning awards for great play and winning the Cup as part of a team.

Great leaders lead by both example and humility. I don't see the later with McDavid. Refusing to accept the Conn Smythe speaks volumes to this. Greatness on the ice is measured by numbers, but you are measured by how you handle loss and hardship because it's a daily part of all of our lives, some moreso than others. Those are the moments where you see the real person underneath the skills and namesake.

In the video, is McDavid really mad at everyone in the locker room? Nah. just himself. That moment we saw the great player realize that he needs these other people to fight alongside him. That moment could have been inspiring, he could have approached it as a moment to pull everyone together, remind them that all of us are important and that this was OUR moment and OUR time, to acknowledge that it was hard, that we wern't showing up like we all should be and we had to band together, go to war and fight. That moment alone could have won them the Cup.

I don't see a leader.
At the time I gave the benefit of the doubt that he wanted to be in the locker room to console his team. You know, be a stabilizing presence as captain. Was kind of a popular take. I don't know about that now. Maybe he still didn't want to be the only one with an award, because it would feel bad for the rest of his team with him sitting there with his trophy. But that's benefit of the doubt again.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC

I don't see a leader.
They really need to take away the C and tell him that he needs to start acting like a man on and off the ice if he doesn't want to be in the press box. Great player but clearly he has some serious character issues with this, the diving, and the refusal to accept the Conn Smythe. It's past the point where we can expect him to grow up without a coach forcing him to.

Reactions: BlueSeal

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
They really need to take away the C and tell him that he needs to start acting like a man on and off the ice if he doesn't want to be in the press box. Great player but clearly he has some serious character issues with this, the diving, and the refusal to accept the Conn Smythe. It's past the point where we can expect him to grow up without a coach forcing him to.
Nice sarcastic post, had to give it a like. Being one of the greatest players to ever play the game doesn't make you a leader.

Sometimes putting a person not meant to be in that role or unprepared for it, is committing them at the expense of themselves and others to a different kind of failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad